Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Inter-city travel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheba

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Inter-city travel Reply with quote

Ok so I've never travelled in Korea before and I'm about to head out of the city alone. I don't speak any Korean (except fo the absolute basics).

Everything is sorted at the destination, but it's getting there I'm worried about. I will be able to leave easily, but I have to change busses in a smaller city... is this going to be a problem? Or are the bus terminals generally foreigner-friendly?
Grotto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bus system here is great. You should have no problem getting where you are going.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to check to make sure the bus you need to transfer to comes to the same terminal that the first bus goes to? Terminals are often in different sections of the city. That can be a major hassle in an unfamiliar city if you are not expecting it.
just because

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bus system here is incredibly good(one of the best in the world) but it isn't too foreigner friendly...

PM me the city you live in(or just write it on here) and I'll find out a timetable for you

All you need to know really if you live in a smaller town or city is the two terminals are
����(Go Sok) - which means express and will go just to major cities
�ÿ� (Shi Way) - which goes to smaller towns and cities...
sheba

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thats the reason Im changing at a smaller city - there is only one bus terminal! I could have gone through Daegu (where there would have been an English speaking info service) but I would have to change terminals aparently.
FUBAR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheba wrote:
Well, thats the reason Im changing at a smaller city - there is only one bus terminal! I could have gone through Daegu (where there would have been an English speaking info service) but I would have to change terminals aparently.

Which cities are you going to? I live in Kyungbuk.

The Daegu areas are very close. The Gosok (express terminal) is right beside Dong Daegu Train Station (It's across and beside the subway terminal). The Inter-city terminal is called Dong-bu Terminal and it is a 5-7 minute taxi ride from the Express terminal.

Sometimes you will need to read Korean at the smaller inter-city terminals. I think the terminal in Sang-ju does not have English writing, but I could be mistaken.
sheba

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't reply... was pushed for time and there was no internet where I went (shocking!!)

As it turned out, I went to Masan, and the teller understood my very bad broken Korean and she knew enough english that i could understand her.

So there and back no problems! Im a lot more confident about travelling alone now...
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So there and back no problems! Im a lot more confident about travelling alone now...

Good for you! That first time out can be pretty intimidating. Now that you're no longer a virgin, get out, explore and have a good time.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some bus terminals have destinations listed in English, some don't.
Some have English-speaking ticket sellers, some don't.

They all seem to have at least one foreign-friendly Korean who will see your face (... Shocked ...) and offer to help even though his English is limited.

I have had no problems often travelling by bus between cities, and the legroom beats any Greyhound I'd often travelled in North America, and those Korean luxury buses that're only three seats wide are still cheap and yet the most comfty rides I've ever had in any sort of vehicle.

No one should worry about intercity travel via buses in Korea. It's one of the good things about this country.
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This website lists the express bus destinations, time schedules, and seat availability.

http://www.kobus.co.kr/eng/index.jsp
sheba

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great site, but just keep in mind that they dont show all bus routes...

For example they only list 4 destinations from Pohang, but I know there are a lot more then that!

Wont stop me from using it in the future though!!
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheba wrote:
Great site, but just keep in mind that they dont show all bus routes...

For example they only list 4 destinations from Pohang, but I know there are a lot more then that!

Truth. Intercity buses (shi-ae, �ÿ�) have a vastly more extensive network. More destinations, better frequency, & cheaper. No website in english that I've found yet though. Daum.net has schedules but not necessarily up-to-the-minute.

A phonecall (or ask a Korean friend to intercede) gets all the details for a trip anywhere. Great system.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record:

Nine times out of ten you could just go to the bus terminal and wait five or ten minutes for the next bus.

It's amazing how little time one has to wait for most routes. And all are relatively cheap.

I just go, and have had no problems to date.
sheba

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True.... depends on where you're going and where your are....

One of the busses I was supposed to catch arrived early and left again before we got to the terminal.... Had to wait an hour for the next bus...

Then by the time I got to the destination, the bus to my next destination was 6 hours away... lucky I had already arranged to meet friends!

I could have left straight away and detoured around cities catching individual busses I guess....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: