Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cultural Embarrassment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wombat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Cultural Embarrassment Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just being oversensitive.

I love Korean food. I eat it 90% of the time. Even the weird, smelly stuff. So why is it that, on the rare occasion I go to Macca's*, I feel scrutinsed? I mean, Koreans seem to love it. Why should I feel like a non-integrating yokel just because I want some chips every now and again? Anyone else ever feel like this? :S

Wombat

*McDonald's.
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There're probably thinking 'lucky we're cosmopolitan enough to have MacDonalds - otherwise, how would that poor foreigner eat?'
Wombat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know why it bothers me. It's because Koreans seem to have this notion that foreigners can't comprehend their culture, or that ours is so vastly different that never the twain shall meet.

Maybe it's the sterotype thing as well. "Oh look at the American (cos we're ALL American). Eating chips. Can't use chopsticks, I'll bet. Hates kimchi. Feh."

An odd thing happened the other day in the grocery store. I went to the vegetable section, picked out some green chillies, and took them to be weighed. The woman made an ENORMOUS fuss, and although I couldn't understand her entirely, I think it went something like this:

"OH MY GOD! ARE YOU BUYING CHILLIES?!?!"

"Yes."

"WOW! JEEEEZUS! BUT PEOPLE LIKE YOU DON'T EAT CHILLIES."

"Chillies. Delicious."

"HEY SIS, C'MERE! CHECK THIS OUT! THE WEIGUK IS BUYING CHILLIES!"

"Umm..."

"GREEN ONES! I'LL BET THESE BABIES ARE HOT! I WONDER IF SHE KNOWS THAT THEY'RE CHILLIES? Hey, these are chillies you know..."

"I know. I eat a lot of Indian food. It can be far hotter than Korean food."

"NO WAY! KOREAN FOOD IS POWERFUL!"

"Gimmee my goddamn chillies."

Weird. Smile

Wombat
weatherman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultural Embarrassment Reply with quote

Wombat wrote:
Maybe I'm just being oversensitive.

I love Korean food. I eat it 90% of the time. Even the weird, smelly stuff. So why is it that, on the rare occasion I go to Macca's*, I feel scrutinsed? I mean, Koreans seem to love it. Why should I feel like a non-integrating yokel just because I want some chips every now and again? Anyone else ever feel like this?

You know, you come to a point, when you have been here so long, that you just don't care what the locals think. At least they are thinking, and if they want to make it an issue with me, I will set them straight.
yodanole

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a housewife physically try to confiscate my chilis in the vegetable section of the market once. She kept telling me that they were spicy. I told her that that was why I wanted to buy them. Adjummas are very protective of children.
blackbird

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss started that crap about Korean food being spicy. I asked him what the Koreans ate before people from the Americas brought hot peppers to Korea. He was speachless. Then I pointed to the bottle of hot sauce that he was holding up. It was made in Louisiana, USA. What a bunch of idiots.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: What does a blowfish look like? Reply with quote

I was going to ask what a blowfish looks like in the store, but decided to answer my own damn question.

In the ocean:

In the store:

On your plate:
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Did you know that eating food from McDonalds is bad for you? You should eat vegetables and rice they are good for you. Garlic is good for you and ginseng will make you strong. Inexpensive rice from America is no good, that is bad rice. Food is very important. Why you drink so much water? Burnt meat gives you cancer. Pork is very good very strong. Salt is good for you , here take more salt. Don't drink soda, drink nothing just eat this, this is potatoe it is good for you. Take off your shoes! Please take of your damn shoes! Oh your feet are dirty, go clean your feet, use water, water is good for cleaning your feet."
The Lemon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Burnt meat gives you cancer.

I believed for a long time that this was another one of those fan death myths, along with how Korean acid rain makes you go bald (um, no). Then I did a bit of research and it turns out eating burnt meat CAN increase the risk of stomach cancer. It's true.

However, given how much people here smoke and drink, I think there are other ways people here will be done in long before that bit of burnt kailbi gets them.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eating any meat or oil which is simply HEATED increases your chance of getting cancer!
Circus Monkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wombat wrote:
I think I know why it bothers me. It's because Koreans seem to have this notion that foreigners can't comprehend their culture, or that ours is so vastly different that never the twain shall meet.

Yes. It's like we cracked some secret code or something.

u can usee cHopstiX0rs!!!!!!!!!!!1~~~~~ !??!??!?!? amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1~~~~ LOLOLOLLOL~

Tiny wrote:
"Did you know that eating food from McDonalds is bad for you? You should eat vegetables and rice they are good for you. Garlic is good for you and ginseng will make you strong. Inexpensive rice from America is no good, that is bad rice. Food is very important. Why you drink so much water? Burnt meat gives you cancer. Pork is very good very strong. Salt is good for you , here take more salt. Don't drink soda, drink nothing just eat this, this is potatoe it is good for you. Take off your shoes! Please take of your damn shoes! Oh your feet are dirty, go clean your feet, use water, water is good for cleaning your feet."

Quiet cpa! Smile

CM
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardyandTiny Wrote:

Quote:
Eating any meat or oil which is simply HEATED increases your chance of getting cancer!

Yes. So true.

When organic matter is altered through the cooking process, it becomes a carcinogen.

Smoke in all forms is a carcinogen. Artificial heat, power lines, even the sun.

That's why I eat as little cooked food as possible.
EFL Teacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as cancer goes, just living basically exposes one to a million carcinogens.
katydid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardyandTiny wrote:
"Did you know that eating food from McDonalds is bad for you? You should eat vegetables and rice they are good for you. Garlic is good for you and ginseng will make you strong.

LOL You just reminded me of one of my former students, who hoarded all the garlic the two occassions we went out to dinner as a class. "Garlic is stamina food! Katy, why do you want garlic...it is for MAN!" (sigh) And you know how much they give you at a samgyupsal restaurant, right? He ate the entire thing. Razz
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardyandTiny wrote:

"Please put shoes back on, feet smell like rotten cheese..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: