Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do you buy your clothes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Where do you buy your clothes? Reply with quote

I'm 6'1" and wear size 13 (US) shoes. I'm not a fatso, but have a big chest and shoulders, coupled with long legs.

Like sized people, where do you buy your clothing? Is it worth it to have things like shirts, pants, and what not tailored? What about shoes?

So far all I can find that fits me is in Itaewon, or I have to order it off the net.

My washing machine has a hungry appetite for clothing. Help, soon I'll be wandering the streets in rags.
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
dulouz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent question. We are the same size
Clothes - jeans from Namdeamun. go the the people that sell us army surplus, they sell jeans too.

Dress clothes. Iteawon, tailor made. Its a little scarey at first but don't worry, the prices are good and the clothes look good. Sjop at Iteawon, you really do need to shop, go up a flight and down alleys. I found a great shirt shop there.

Get ready to improvise, nothing is under one roof here.

you can even have them make cargo pants if you want, and shorts.
Sweaters? Jackets ? - online.

Shoes? One place in Iteawon is good, the sizes are big but there are only a few shoes to choose from. Buy them online but do not have the sent from the seller. send them home to have them repackaged.

from seller to you - you pay a tax of 30%
from home to you - no tax - iti is considered private.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirts: Just about anywhere that sells hip-hop or extra large clothes for casual. A tailor for dress shirts.

Pants: Itaewon / tailor. Until my *** falls off, Korean pants are out of the question.

socks/ Undies: Socks, anywhere, and I buy strechy boxer-briefs, so my groin is comfy.

Shoes / jackets: Pretty much anywhere
em

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: RE: seller to you, home to you Reply with quote

So, in principle, you could have stuff delivered courtesy of the company to your home and then have them send it to you and thus by-pass the 30% tax? The question then is, how expensive is it to ship stuff to Korea from home and could you save money this way?
ishiii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing.
Shipping by gorund is not too expensive but can take up to 9 weeks.
Air is so expensive that in may be cheaper to pay the 30%.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres what we do when we order clothes. We have them shipped to our parents in the US. They then unpack the clothes, take off the tags and re-ship to us as "used" with the invoice etc in a seperate envelope. Using that method we've never had a problem with customs and its actually cheaper than paying for international shipping from the company
em

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rudeflyer. But when you reship, how do you reship??
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: washing machine wear & tear

Lack of an agitator in korean units tends to knot up your clothes & pull them out of shape. You can buy agitator balls in any supermarket -- plastic open-ribbed thingies about the size of a billiard ball. 3 or 4 of those in your machine & your clothes should last considerably longer.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on what is airmail if I need it ASAP, ground if its for next winter right now.
Cedar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy my suits and shirts in SE Asia made to fit my body. If you choose fabric well, you can wear them for a LONG time before they need to be replaced, and as long as you don't change your shape too much, they'll make you look hella better than your ordinary off-the-rack variety.

In Korea I can only buy pullovers. Or men's shirts. Women's button ups split at the br-easts, and I'm not even stacked. I do however have an athletes chest... as in a huge rib-cage. I am 34 inches in diameter ---below--- my br-easts!

When I go to America I usually pick up some "fun" clothes, of the sort I'd wear out dancing if I even went out dancing.

Shoes, I just try to find them everywhere I travel, and usually buy sandals that I hang off the back, front or sides of.
K-in-C

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:39 am    Post subject: Clothes Reply with quote

There's a Marks and Spencers in Apujung. (sp?) They are pricey but the quality is good and they have larger size clothes and shoes. It's not far from the H-Department Store. It's close to VIPS and the Nike store.

Cheers,

Kate
justagirl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'd suggest taking a bus ride to Song-tan. It's less than 1 hr from Seoul and they have a US air base there (osan air base). Women's clothes (I've seen size 20) and guys. It's really good shopping and you can find true American clothes.

I would guess Itaewon has similar clothes, but I've been there and haven't seen the variety or massive amounts of shops as I have in Song-Tan. Lots of shoe stores with American shoes (ladies, too! size 9, 10, etc). Cargo pants, nice sweaters, guys sizes up to 3X. Prices are great, too. Never paid more than 20,000 for anything.

Plus, they do have some gray-food market shops hidden around, so you can pick up some salsa or Keebler cookies or pretzels...definitely worth a Saturday trip to check it out.
pm me if you want more info!
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no tax on items under 400 USD anyway!
so you only have to pay freight, so a pair of shoes would probably cost 30 bucks for slow post 21 days..
katydid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like shopping at IF-U and Who A.U. here in Gwangju. I know it's expensive, but I wish we had a Benetton here....some of their clothing was cool. MOKPO has a Benetton...why not Gwangju?!?!
Some of the clothes here...whew! Too much rhinestone studded crap and slash-ripped jeans, and frilly tops...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: