Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Americans, Australians will have to take written test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Real Reality

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Americans, Australians will have to take written test Reply with quote

Foreign Drivers Face Another Test

Foreigners from countries that do not recognize Korean driver's licenses, such as the United States, Australia and China, will now have to take written tests to get Korean driver's licenses, the National Police Agency said Tuesday. The move is a reciprocal one designed to prompt responses that would make it easier for Koreans to get driver's licenses in other countries.
Starting July 1, persons from countries affected by the change will be required to take a written test when they apply for a Korean driver's license, in addition to the "aptitude test," involving a vision test.

Issuing Korean licenses to foreigners whose countries do not recognize Korean licenses contradicts the idea of equity between countries, the police said, and the policy has been disadvantageous for Korean nationals abroad. Italy, the Netherlands and Morocco have already changed their policies to recognize Korean licenses, and more countries are expected to follow suit.

Still, exceptions to the new rule will be granted; most diplomats and many foreign businessmen will be able to get driver's licenses without the written test, regardless of nationality.
http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200306/200306170025.html
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Americans, Australians will have to take written test Reply with quote

Fine by me. I'll gladly take a test in Korea if it helps keep psychotic Korean drivers off of America's roads.
dogbert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what they mean by recognize.

When I traveled to the U.S. last year, I rented and drove an automobile using only a Korean driver's license. I think that the recognition they speak of may be in relation to the process of exchanging a Korean driver's license for a U.S. state's driver's license.
Derrek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: I read... Reply with quote

I read that was all supposed to happen in March. Obviously it didn't because I just got my license a month ago, and never had to take a test.

I also read what the questions were in the test. It's a joke -- very easy.

No one in America will even notice or care. Americans here won't either, when they see how easy it is. South Korea is almost as small of a blip on the average American's radar as New Zealand. And the only reason it's bigger is because of North Korea.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait.. this is kind of weird.. so any korean can just get on any road in any other country without a local driver's license except for China, USA, and Australia?? this is too weird..
dogbert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
wait.. this is kind of weird.. so any korean can just get on any road in any other country without a local driver's license except for China, USA, and Australia?? this is too weird..

It wouldn't be practical to make tourists obtain local driver's licenses to rent cars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: