Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kimpo City?? Anyone have any info on city?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iceman23

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Kimpo City?? Anyone have any info on city? Reply with quote

Me and my girlfriend just got offered jobs in Kimpo City at a school called "The Kimpo SLP Institute". Anyone heard anything about the city or school? It's right across from China and North Korea, offering 1.8 mil @ 28hrs a week. We also have to come up with our own lesson plans. Is this common?
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay is a bit low. Kimpo is on the outskirts of Seoul; don't know anything about it other than that. Have to come up with your own curriculum? Doesn't sound like a great hogwon.
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha Iceman, you're speaking to the right person!! I taught in Kimpo last year, for 1.8M, at a hogwon which closed down.
Kimpo's okay.. about an hour and a half from Itaewon, say, by bus and subway. I was a lone teacher at my hogwon. Unfortunately I found the other kimpo teachers a bit cliquey...
However, its nicely in the countryside, and not far from Kimpo airport and gangwhado- nice for weekend trips.
If you go there with your girlfriend you'll be fine, thsy even have one or two bars where foreigners tend to hang out- theres several hogwans in the area...
Iceman23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey rapier, thanks for the info. The school has a curriculum but we are required to make detailed lesson plans weekly and monthly on our own time. They also state in the contract that we have to put in 2.5hrs a day for this, at the institution. Is this normal? 1.8mil/mth.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman23 wrote:
The school has a curriculum but we are required to make detailed lesson plans weekly and monthly on our own time. They also state in the contract that we have to put in 2.5hrs a day for this, at the institution. Is this normal? 1.8mil/mth.

I think that's normal for the SLP chain, but it is not normal for Korean English schools on the whole. Prep time usually is not paid, but you are responsible for preparing for your lessons. The standards for what adequate prep entails varies wildly from school to school, but from my understanding SLP is on the upper end of that.

2.5 hours of unpaid time every day outside of classes required on site is very excessive, IMHO. Since you're only being offered 1.8, I'd hold out for something better if I were you.
rapier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.5 hours for lesson planning is not really the norm. But it looks like a sign that the boss might take their teaching business seriously. They might want to actually achieve something positive at this hogwan, with proper planning and working together.
On the other hand they may just want you to be available to chat to the parents...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: