Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guam...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Guam... Reply with quote

I know there's travel threads about Guam, but I was wondering specifically about going during Chuseok? Will it be (relatively) overcrowded? I want to get away from Koreans, not seek them out. Razz
brachy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always full of Koreans, but acutally more Japanese.

But really its not so bad. I've been 3 times. The Koreans don't really like the sun or swimming, so if you just want to hang by the pool, you'll pretty much have it all to yourself.

The last time I went, I stayed at the Hilton. Huge pool, waterslide etc... and maybe maximum of 6 people around it at any given time.

The families with kids tend to stay at the PIC hotels... so STAY AWAY from them, they have a water park so its just riddled with children. Ugh.
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have a child. Wink But you're right, I'm not fond of the screaming offspring of others. I was also wondering if it'd be more expensive than usual over Chuseok.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, Guam caters to Korean & Japanese tourists so it's not the best place to go to 'get away' from them...
I'd recommend staying away from the main strip if that's your goal, but if you're with a young child then you don't want to be renting a car and going for longish drives everywhere...
Air Canada (I'm using it as an example because I'm sure they do this) let's you check a stroller and/or car seat without it counting against your baggage allowance, does KAL or Asiana or whatever airline you're taking to Guam do this?
I never set foot on the main beach, I drove the main strip once and was out of there in 5 minutes. I was there for 7 days and had a blast.

Last edited by Bulsajo on Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
tzechuk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brachy, we are thinking of going to Guam. And my husband is also thinking of staying at the Hilton - we are a Hilton fan.. lol.. sounds like it's ideal because he wants to teach Letty swimming - I doubt that she will be able to learn and remember how to at this age!!!

Corporal: 2 years ago we looked at going away for a quick break during choosok and the prices were about 20% higher.
brachy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend the Hilton Guam.... great place to teach your kid to swim without 50 other kids splashing around.

It has 3 pools, and one with a waterslide.

Again, the poolside was never crowded , even the waterslide, I saw like maybe 10 kids go down it in 5 days.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't run into many koreans in Guam....they tend to stay away from the westerners....and believe me when I say this...many people in Guam would just rather the koreans didn't come to Guam.
PEIGUY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brachy wrote:
I recommend the Hilton Guam.... great place to teach your kid to swim without 50 other kids splashing around.

It has 3 pools, and one with a waterslide.

Again, the poolside was never crowded , even the waterslide, I saw like maybe 10 kids go down it in 5 days.

what's the price range like for that kind of hotel.. i was thinking about Guam too.. Korean friend of mine is working there in a hotel..
brachy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We paid about 180,000 won per nite , that's with breakfast (amazing)

Check out planetholiday or asiatravel .com and maybe you could get a better deal.

We booked through Marco Polo in Itaewon... it was about 1.7 for flight and 5 nights accomodation for 2 people.

*Id also like to add that the first time I went to Guam , I tried the cheap way... like a 90 dollar a night hotel... totally regretted it. I know the upper class is more pricey but i wouldn't recommend doing it any other way.. but that's just me and maybe I am spoiled. Embarassed
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renting a car to check out the island is definetly worth it. We found secluded, gorgeous little bays to swim/hang out at with no one else around.
HapKi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed at the Guam Hilton, with my Korean girlfriend (now wife) a couple years ago. Highly recommended.
Went through a Korean travel agency offering a air/hotel package. There may have been a tour included, but trust me, don't waste your time with a formal tour of Guam.
If I remember correctly, the flights in on Korean Air arrived at some ungodly hour- at 1 in the morning or so. Departures an hour or so later. And they include that two hours as a day. So its like a 3night1day at the least. Definitely pay extra for the extra days.
After the first night, I went to the front desk and asked if we could have a queen bed instead of 2 twins pushed together. This was in the area covered by the blue written "Guam" in the nice photo above. They upgraded us to a suite, located in the bottom of the photo in the white building, right out at the point. Super nice room and view. Hotel must not have been full, plus they probably don't get many requests in English.
Also, bring your own mask and snorkel for the snorkeling right off the beach. Rentals were expensive.
brachy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I always warn people about the arrival and departure times.

Its nuts.. so you are basically paying for 2 extra nights in the hotel that you are barely there.

So if you get a 4 night package... BOOK EXTRA DAYS.... or you will find yourself very dissapointed.
tzechuk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. We've looked at package tours and as neither my husband nor I are fans of packaged tours, we are going to book flights and hotel separately. We don't think it makes that much of a difference in terms of price but even if it does, it doesn't really matter.

Very Happy
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need a package tour...don't waste your money!
Fly to Guam....many airlines go their...KAL has the stupid hours! Arrival and departure around 2am! Fly from korea to Japan and take Contential Airlines to Guam...reasonable hours at least.
Many hotels to choose from...many offer car/room rates for around $80.00 a day. Sure...not the Hilton...but...are you planning to spend your time only in the hotel room? If not...the low budget hotels will do! They also have air condition! They extra money you save could be spend elsewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: