Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

40+ ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charpet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: 40+ ??? Reply with quote

Laughing Hello everyone. I'm new here and I was just wondering if any of you out there are 40+? If so, what are some of the adjustments you had to make and/or complications you come across in regards to age. After reading quite a few posts, I'm seeing a very young population....at least mostly under 30. Am I right. I'm really looking forward to teaching in Asia but it looks like they really want young, slim, blonde, blue-eyed females Crying or Very sad . I hope this isn't entirely true....any offers of advice or responses would be greatly appreciated.
captain kirk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

age is only skin deep; it depends on how you look. do you look cherubic or pixie-ish? if you usually get a charge out of the electric antics of kids chances are you'll be smiling. and how would you react to playing to a juvenile audience all day? would it get you down and give you a scowling mug? i start out with kids just out of kindy and end with sixteen year olds who kid me about having a juvenile sense of humour, i ought to act my age and grow up. i'm a stand up comic for kids all day, what do they expect, theories? having faith that you aren't just you're deteriorating higher function in a juvenile environment is a pre-requisite to looking good, ie. smiling. the only thing worse than a fool is a rigid fool. the job desciption is 'horse around with english'. and you are gogo.
it took a little longer for the recruiters to find stuff. and the offer might be low. but they always offer to see if you will 'make do' or endure from the get-go. to demand more is a sign of spunky confidence which looks good to them, especially if you have already taught some.
the jobs might be out in the environs. but there are people who lived and worked in seoul, and left for the environs by choice. better air, more nature, more casual.
in my opinion, the best tactic is to play it safe and visit schools. take the bus around the country checking out the people. does your boss look like a good guy? sit down with him.
charpet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Interesting !! Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply captain....In response, yes, I have taught young children and found it to be fun and challenging as it is with all children. I was hoping that they wouldn't be so superficial and by the sounds of it, I still have a chance. Wink Onward and upward! You didn't mention your age? Just curious, that's all.

Quote:
captain kirk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a hair over forty, but don't tell anybody
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try getting in touch by PM with iguanab who sometimes posts here and informs of 40's+ social gatherings. Here's a link to a thread she posted in April OVER 40s IN SEOUL meeting, Sunday, April 20, 12:30PM
K-in-C

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Hog town homey... Reply with quote

Alright, alright, I'll admit it I'm 40+

Were you born in TO? I was but I left about 20 years ago.

Anyway good luck in Seoul. I'm headed over to Korea next month also but will be teaching just a sneeze away from Busan. Seoul was to hectic for me. Rolling Eyes

Regards,

Kate in Canada
charpet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, born and raised in Toronto and now it's time for moving on to Korea, hopefully within the next month or so.
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

46 when I first flew over, just signed on for a fifth year yesterday. First gig was in a hakwon & I found it invigorating. The most valuable experience I had coming in was having parented two myself. I'm working in the public school system now where age is a definite asset in terms of respect.

Getting hired initially was a bit uphill. A few private institutes value maturity & stability but many directors might feel threatened by an employee older than themselves -- it seldom happens here. Age generally equates with position & there are cultural strictures against advising or criticizing an elder. But thats gradually changing.

Some other hakwons have had bad experiences with older teachers. They can be set in their ways & lack the necessary flexibility. They might lack the stamina it takes to keep up with the pace or to work when sick (generally expected). Some are social misfits who couldnt make a life for themselves in the west (same can be said for some younger teachers too).

An older person first applying needs to stress anything about themselves that suggests adaptability & vitality. Travel experience is a plus. Physically active hobbies are useful to mention, as well as any schooling undertaken later in life. Just about any suggestion that youre young at heart will help (& a photo that doesnt show you as a crone or a scary old guy).

Once youre in & have proven your worth, youve got it made here.

Work situations aside, some older folk find the expat social scene not much to their liking -- all the drinking & carousing of their own youth all over again. Fortunately for me, I never outgrew it! But some social interaction (especially at first) really helps with the transition & an ability to play along with the largely younger teaching set is a benefit. You might feel lonely otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: