Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

an example of walking dreamlines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard Stocks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: an example of walking dreamlines Reply with quote

how the sun was made aboriginal mythology tale , i sometimes when i listen to stories like this underneath a gum tree in the savannah coumtry near Mt Surprise, and I see the ambers glow in my campfire , i simply think BUGGER SCIENCE , what is the point of knowing the one and only truth ????

There are much nicer ways of feeling aware

listen

"for a long time there was no sun
only the moon and the stars
there where no people on earth There were birds and animals, but they were all much bigger than the birds and the animals we know

One day , Dinewan . the emu . The Bralgah, the native companion , were on a large plain near the Murrumbidgee.
They were quarrelling and fighting.
Bralgah was very angry and she rushed to Dinewan's nest and took one of the large eggs in it .
She threw the egg as hard as she could , up into the sky.

The egg broke on a heap of firewood and the firewood burst into flame. The flame lit the world below. Everything on the earth was very surprised, because before this, the world has been almost dark.

a good spirit who lived in the sky saw how bright the earth was. And it was beautiful, too.

he thought it would be a good thing to make a fire every day.
And from that time up to the present , this spirit has made a fire every day to light the earth.

All night he and some other spirits collect wood and make it into a heap .
When the heap is nearly big enough , they send out the morning star to tell everybody on earth that they will soon light the fire.

But a lot of people are asleep early in the monring and they don't see the star , so the good spirit thought it would be a good idea to make a lot of noise to tell everyone they would soon light the fire
One evening they heard a laughter of Gougourgahgah , the laughing kookaburra.

"That is the noise we want" they said

They told Gougourgahgah that, as the morning star faded , he must laugh as loud as he could .
Than everyone would wake up ...

and her endeth the lesson as it was told to me by an old disgarded australian reader as in use at some primary school somewhere
stories like this need to be told by old people to their young , in living rooms as snug as the glow of as campfire will reach
and who says that we are not magical creatures . living in a magical world, to dream all this up.
knowing might be dandy , but imagining.is candy Once all knowledge has replaced imagination we as homo sapiens will have ceased to exist.
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love reading the creation myths of different cultures. I find them so fascinating, in both a literary sense, and also as an avid historian. Myths are always based on some fragment of truth.
Wombat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richo Laughing ~

Queenslander eh? Welcome to the select group!

Wombat
sparkx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off topic here but...

Something that made me piss myself a few days ago -- I was teaching my class about the differences between endangered and extinct. I asked for examples of endangered species when I man yelled out confidently "Dragons." I asked with a chuckle, "Dragons are endangered?" He responded "Oh sorry, I mean extinct." After a few exchanges the man and a few others in the class agreed that dragons were indeed walking in Korea 1000 years ago.
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They very well could have been. Maybe. Or maybe a large lizard thing, like the Komodo dragon. The pics and stuff had to come from somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: