Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bum Theory
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Bum Theory Reply with quote

Since you all seem to be quite experienced with the ESL triangle of Taiwan, Korea, and Japan:

I was thinking of blowing Korea at the end of the year and bumming around Taiwan and/ or Japan. I could stay part time with friends in either nation, but obviously, living with them for the duration of my tourist visa would be out of the question. So I'd have to stay in some hotels for at least part of the trip. The only plan is to bum around, looking at stuff and maybe chasing the occasional skirt.

So, assuming I have, uh, roughly US$5000 (I've saved much more than that, I just wanted to use a nice rounded figure) in pocket upon landing, how much bumming time would that amount to in either nation before I'd have to find work?
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was thinking of blowing Korea at the end of the year

Quote:
So, assuming I have, uh, roughly US$5000 (I've saved much more than that, I just wanted to use a nice rounded figure

I bet you have.
Red

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certain the rest of the kids at the highschool will be giving you high fives all day, but I was hoping for something resembling an answer.
Homer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, assuming I have, uh, roughly US$5000 (I've saved much more than that, I just wanted to use a nice rounded figure) in pocket upon landing, how much bumming time would that amount to in either nation before I'd have to find work?

Impossible to answer really without more information.

It depends on: what you want to do, where you want to stay, how good you are with your money, what activities you want to do.....

As for how much you saved, you got that response because you unecessarily added the self-congratulatory 'I've saved much more then that" which adds nothing to your post but a little pomp.
joe_doufu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on Japan, but in Taiwan "bumming around" would get pretty boring. There aren't much in the way of beaches. There are a few national parks and the east coast is beautiful, but you'll find that all the expats are English teachers and they work for a living, so you'll be by yourself all day and without any real resort type of facilities that could be boing. In the evenings be sure to check out the "night markets" which are a wonderful Taiwan cultural event. Love motels can cost US$30 a night, plus or minus, hostels are cheaper, and food costs almost nothing, so you could stretch $5000 for a long long time... but why? If you're interested in Chinese culture, why not bum around China for a while before working in Taiwan... that would be anything but boring. Or better yet, go to Thailand. In either Thailand or China your money would last a good year (if you stayed off the booze) and then you could fly on to Taipei or Tokyo for the next job whenever you want.

PS: Maybe you should just invest the money in a mutual fund.
Red

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
As for how much you saved, you got that response because you unecessarily added the self-congratulatory 'I've saved much more then that" which adds nothing to your post but a little pomp.
Ah, that good old ESL Cafe "snark on anything" pavlovian response.

As for your questions, I want to bum around. No plans, and no goals outside of hooking up with some old friends.

Joe: Thanks for that insight. It was pretty useful information. As for why- I just to see something other than Korea for a while. I like the place, but after nearly four years, it's wearing me out.
Homer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Red, if you want to bum around for a while, 5 grand will last you a couple of months in S. E. asia.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude take that 5 grand and do the best thing! bum around thailand!
or INDIA the money will go so much further and you will really have something to experience! INDIA MAN!! GOA! I mean come on! yoga, karma sutra, food, all that stuff!
thailand!! from beaches, food, woman to full moon partys!

elephants and all! amazing thailand! or incredible india!

taiwan?? thats like moving from Shinchon to sanggae!

japan! save it for a trip..
joe_doufu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
Well Red, if you want to bum around for a while, 5 grand will last you a couple of months in S. E. asia.

And 75% of that will be spent on booze! Seriously if you avoid alcohol, I bet you could stretch it to ten months.
Red

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itaewonguy: Those are interesting suggestions.

Joe: I can't drink. Doctor's orders a long time ago. So no worry there.

Thanks folks
dulouz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you buy a business with that money?
RachaelRoo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dulouz wrote:
Why don't you buy a business with that money?

That's random. What kind of business could you get with only $5000, and where?
trevorcollins

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe_doufu wrote:
Homer wrote:

And 75% of that will be spent on booze! Seriously if you avoid alcohol, I bet you could stretch it to ten months.

I agree. 2 months if you want to be fancy boy.
Chilling in a decent place, yet not being overly frivilous will last much longer.
I did China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar (twice), Thailand and Malaysia on a trip that lasted 9 months a few years ago on $2800.
Granted that was on the cheap, but assuming you have twice that amount like you say you do, there's plenty of room for comfort.
The $5000 lasting a couple of months like Homer said would mean you spending close to 100 bucks a day.
Seriously I wouldn't even know how it's possible to spend that much.
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

japan is expensive. if you bummed around in japan for three months or so (the lenght of the tourist visa) you would need more than 5000 i think. especilly if youre staying in hotels. your average hotel in japan is around 4000 yen a night ($40US). Youll probably be eating out alot...think of between 5-30 US for each meal, depending. drinking can get really expensive. chasing skirts can be even more expensive. if you do end up going to japan, send me a pm and ill give you some more details about how to stay for cheap. im too lazy to do so now...
Red

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks for all of the input.

Here's a bit more info: I have been in Japan a few years ago, but I was living on the couches of a few friends there, so I never really got to find out just how expensive things can get there on your own. Okay, I do have some idea, having made the mistake of taking a taxi once, but they were able to guide me to the cheap living. But now they have either returned home or are married with kids, so my ability to mooch is pretty much gone, so that's why I was asking for the voices of experience.

As for why I want to go to Taipei- Call me a man-ho if you'd like, but I have guarranteed ass waiting for me there. Old flame and all of that... But~ She can't have extended male guests in her building due to it being a ladies only sort of apartment, so I'd need to find my own bed. The ability to streach my won there makes it even more appealing.

But the travelling to tropical locations such as Thailand is appealing since I'd be bumming about in the middle of the winter. I'll consider it.

And if I were to open a business for $5000, I'd make damned sure that it would be the best dokpokki cart in all of Korea. Staffed only by the earthiest of ajummas.

Back to Taiwan- Can anyone tell me what the tourist visa situation is like? Can I just show up at the airport?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: