Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buddhists online?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seatangle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Buddhists online? Reply with quote

Greetings everyone.

I would like to know if there are any practicing Buddhists on this forum. If so I would sincerely love to hear more information from you. I'm especially interested to hear from anyone who converted to Buddhism after coming to Korea for the first time.

At this point, I don't have any plans to become Buddhist, but I've been researching and investigating further and gosh darn it, a lot of it is clicking with me. Anyway, any thoughts or further input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Buddhists online? Reply with quote

Seatangle wrote:

I've been researching and investigating further and gosh darn it, a lot of it is clicking with me. Anyway, any thoughts or further input is greatly appreciated.

What are you, the Ned Flanders of Buddhism?

Okily Dokily!
Odysseus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like to know if there are any practicing Buddhists on this forum. If so I would sincerely love to hear more information from you. I'm especially interested to hear from anyone who converted to Buddhism after coming to Korea for the first time.

Korean Buddhism, great subject! Any practicing Korean Buddhists want to talk about their experience?
em

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Buddhist but have become fascinated with Buddhism lately - tho I'm still at the dabbling stage. Embarassed Very Happy Anyway, I was intrigued to find that Yahoo has a Buddhist chatroom in its list of chatrooms. I went on and, aside from some guys trolling for chicks and vice versa, which you find on all those chatrooms and can just ignore, Rolling Eyes it was really interesting. Just a warning: most of the people I encountered were really really knowledgable. I couldn't follow some of it. Shocked One guy was doing a PhD in some Buddhism-related subject. Anyone, it might be fun for you to check out, and even if you feel it was a waste of time it only takes a couple of minutes to dash into the room and dash out again. Don't forget, tho, that most people are on North American times.

Cheers.
Wombat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Hindu - not a Buddhist, but the two have a lot in common. I had been hoping to find other Hindus here with whom to hold satsangs, etc - but of course, the Indian population isn't very big in Seoul. Heaps of Bangladeshis and Pakistanis though, for any aspiring Muslims. Smile

You should visit (if you haven't already) Jogyesa Temple in Insa-dong. It's really beautiful. A word of advice though - if you're not comfortable sitting in the prayer hall, it's probably best not to. The last thing you want to do is come across as some insensitive tourist and disturb people while they're praying! (Not that I'm impyling you would; you know.)

I'd love to read a thread on Buddhism (with a few Hindu quips thrown in from me Wink ).

Wombat
Saori

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seatangle,
If you are in Seoul I can recommend one place to go to, although there are others which I haven't tried. This one is Hwagyesa, which has a foreigners' meditation and talk on Sunday afternoons starting at 1pm. The subway stop is Suyu on Line 4. They have a website so check that out so you know how to get there. There is another place in Gwacheon (advertised in the Korea Herald) which has a special group for foreigners but I haven't been there and Jogyesa (in central Seoul) but I haven't been to a foreigners' meeting there either (if there is one).
If you have any questions, just post them.
Saori
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Many online resources Reply with quote

You may want to continue your path on Buddhism via the Net. Some interesting sites include:

www.beliefnet.com
www.buddhanet.net
www.dharmanet.org
http://dir.yahoo.com/Society_and_Culture/Religion_and_Spirituality/Faiths_and_Practices/Buddhism/Schools__Lineages__and_Sects/Zen/

Those are just to get you started. For your reference, Korean Buddhism is of the Mahayana school and thus stresses following the path for the benefit of all beings rather than just yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: