Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Info Please!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary B

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Info Please! Reply with quote

Wha'z up?
Taught EFL in Quito, Ecuador and obtained a Master's in TESOL recently. S. Korea is a possible destination for me to teach EFL. Can anyone tell me:1-Do you need a work visa before lining up a position or can you get one on the spot as you can in most places in Latin America with some work? 2-Is it economically beneficial to teach through language institutes or at universities? 3- Is age discrimination a real problem as it appears to be in some of the posts since I'm 47? 4- If you were contemplating trying to line up a teaching position in S. Korea, what would be the steps to follow? 5- I would also be with my Ecuadorian wife, would this be a problem visa wise and would she possibly be able to find some work? Any info would be greatly welcomed and cheers from Guayaquil, Ecuador.
PS: Anyone needing info on Ecuador, let me know.
Chow for Now,
Desperately Seeking Information In Ecuador Gary B.
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your age is a big problem which decreases the amount of job positions available to you, however, does not limit you from being able to come, enjoy the country, and share your teaching experience with students who really want to learn English.

There are positions in Korea, especially teaching adults, that are not as discriminate. If you come with alot of experience and education, don't be greedy and expect a high salary, however. There are people straight out of college young, dumb, and full of *** that will work for cheaper, and are frankly the sought after employee.

My suggestion is before just arriving on the front porch, that you send out a email ping to potential employers. This will give you an indication of what they are looking for and how valuable they think you are. You also need to look for the niche jobs. Get yourself through the front door and find out what's here, start up your own network and learn the survival skills on the street. A man coming from Ecuador, I'm assuming you have plenty of survival tactics, but the name of the game in Korea is much different and very superficial. The sooner you realize that you can't change things here and accept things for the way that they are, the sooner you will be able to find your grove and enjoy Korea for what it is.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

To briefly answer your questions,

1. Most of the time you can find work easily in South Korea. However some people have problems becuase of discrimination over race, age, and appearance. The jobs are plentiful though so just about anyone can find a job with a bit of searching. There are some dodgy places out there though so it might not be a good idea to take the first offer that comes along.
2. I believe that there is more money to be made by working at private language institutes (Hogwans). GIven the choice however I would choose to take less money and work at a Uni with the lower hours and greater vacation time.
3. Age discrimination certainly exists. You will likely find places that will straight out tell you that you are too old. There are places that will hire you however. I would suggest lining up work before you come. Make sure they know your age and have a picture you of.
4. Apply for positions, conduct phone interviews, receive contract, negotiate points of contention, agree to sign, sign, have visa processed, receive visa, book flight, arrive in Korea, start teaching.
5. Your wife would probably have a difficult time finding a place that would be willing to hire her to teach English legally. There are some places out there that will hire people from non-english speaking countries assuming they are fluent in engish and have a good accent. These places are few and far between however.

Just out of curiosity, how much money is there to be made in Equador? I'm a qualified elementary school teacher from Canada with 3 years of ESL teaching experience.

Hope this post is helpful!

Kyle
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kyle

I have to commend you for having the courage of posting with your real name and photo on a message board. Very brave man, very.

Laughing
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your wife may also be able to get legal work teaching Spanish, but it will probably take some searching. I did meet a Mexican woman who was teaching Spanish and English in a hogwon in Incheon. However, if you're only concerned with your wife being able to live with you in Korea, and not her being able to work here, you should have no problem getting a spousal visa for her as long as you have a work visa.

With your qualifications, I'd definitely suggest holding out for a uni job.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Morning Calm,

I don't see it really as being brave. It's more of a way of keeping myself accountable. I don't want to be some anonymous guy spouting off at everyone.....getting people p'd off and whatnot. Too often people abuse the anonymity of the internet.

PS. Do I know you by any chance?
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylehawkins2000 wrote:
Hey Morning Calm,

I don't see it really as being brave. It's more of a way of keeping myself accountable. I don't want to be some anonymous guy spouting off at everyone.....getting people p'd off and whatnot. Too often people abuse the anonymity of the internet.

PS. Do I know you by any chance?

Tru dat, but for the most part I attempt to speak the truth. Maybe my added option makes it alittle bias, but mostly I would like to clear up alot of misconceptions about this profession that people like you and me take seriously.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks for the props!
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seeking healthy karma. Wink

I've actually been trolling these boards for many months and it hasn't been until a few new threads that started to bother me that I decided to take a stand.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Taught EFL in Quito, Ecuador and obtained a Master's in TESOL recently.

GaryB -

You're (over)qualified for Korean university positions. Seriously - pick the one you want.

Or do what many people with your credentials do - work elsewhere for more money (Japan, Middle East), and/or go into management positions.

You're certainly above worrying about whether some beady-eyed hogwon director is going to accept or reject you because you're 47. The world's your oyster.

Good luck!
Gary B

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wha'z up?
First of all, thanks for all the responses, comments, and helpful suggestions. I'll definetely use them the best way possible. To Kyle wondering about Ecuador, I can give you some names of places in Ecuador and ideas. First of all, Ecuador is going through a painful dollarization process so inflation is a big problem. Everything is going up in prices, but not the wages. However, things are still relatively "cheap" compared to industrialized economies. Best wages and the most stable hours are in colegios or private schools. Names of just some are: Colegio SEK, Colegio Americano, Colegio Cotapaxi. Can't for the life of me remeber the addresses, but you could probably find their web sites just using their names. It's more work and from my experience difficult dealing with dicipline problems. Probably the next best are the University Catolica and University de San Francisco. I taught at Catolica for about 2 years. Great experience as far as I'm concerned. Private language institutes are probably the same in pay as the universities, but unstable hours and they're all over the place. The best paying are probably Key Languages, The Experimento, English First. There are heaps of these schools all over Quito and you'd just have to check them out. I do have a friend working for a place called Quality and he told me he gets paid 10 bucks an hour. I haven't taught in Ecuador for almost 3 years, but still get the buzz from my friend who still teaches there. From what he's been telling me, you could still save some money, but you have to be very carefull about how you spend it. So Kyle, I hope this gives you an idea and please let me know if you need more information and I'll see what I can do because I'm in Ecuador now, but returning to the States at the end of July.
Chow for Now,
Thanks Again For All The Info From Guayaquil, Ecuador Gary B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: