Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you recommend a cheap place to stay in Nagoya, Japan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nrvs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Can you recommend a cheap place to stay in Nagoya, Japan? Reply with quote

I'll be there for two nights this weekend to visit my sister. I hope to pay 5000 yen or less per night. A hostel is fine, love hotel, whatever. Near the train station would be nice.

I don't think Nagoya is a prime tourist destination, but maybe one of you could give me a recommendation.
ribena berry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: nagoya Reply with quote

I stayed in Nagoya last summer & there were loads of TEFLs there. Its bigger than it may 1st seem. I stayed in a hostel, that was in the lonely planet- I cant remember off hand what it was called, but ill check over the next few days and get back to you.

Their is a capsule hotel, but it only lets men in. (tsk)

If your there in the summer, the Sumo champs are hosted ther. Def woth a look!!
Ekuboko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Japan, business hotels come aplenty around the city's main train station. These are basic [but clean and decent] and 'cheap' [by Japanese standards!], usually around 5000-6000 yen a night. The ones situated really close to the station cost a bit more than the ones down side streets a couple of blocks away (and also behind the station's main side).
nrvs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you VERY much for the tips.

I've...uh, done research at the bookstore using the Lonely Planet. All of the places I've called are full! I'm going back to the bookstore for more phone numbers in 15 minutes. I'm concerned because my plane arrives in Nagoya at 8:30 and I'm a little nervous. I really don't want to pay 10000+ yen for a room.

Walking around the train station seems like the best bet right now if none of my phone calls pan out this afternoon. It sounds likely I'll find something there.

Again, thanks for your help!
nrvs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I found out the reason there aren't any hotel rooms: "Expo Aichi 2005"

It's just outside of Nagoya and it's on until September 19. I think I'm screwed! Hopefully I can find one of those PC bangs with cubicles and reclining chairs.
Ekuboko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nrvs wrote:
Oh man, I found out the reason there aren't any hotel rooms: "Expo Aichi 2005"

It's just outside of Nagoya and it's on until September 19. I think I'm screwed! Hopefully I can find one of those PC bangs with cubicles and reclining chairs.

Good luck!
PC Bangs don't exist in Japan like they do here!
numazawa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't despair, I was there... in August, while the Expo was in full swing, and there were still openings at some of the many hotels downtown. Some recommendations, if you can stretch the budget a bit:

The Toyoko Inn (Hotel Nishiki) on Temmacho-dori has a basic rate of 6,300 (discounted by 300 if you waive the morning maid service).

The Nagoya Plaza Inn on Fukuromachi-dori advertises a special rate of 4,900, but the only singles available when I inquired were 6,000 yen.

The Silk-Tree is a good prospect (though I haven't tried it) because it's quite new and not widely known yet. The going rate for a single there is 6,000 yen.

All of these hotels are located in the central downtown area.
nrvs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, tonight I must've walked into 8923489 hotels in the area around the train station and I found ZERO available rooms. I spent 1.5 hours pounding the pavement. Luckily, I found basically the best PC bang ever. I've got a private cubicle with a locking door, reclining chair, a TV, PS2, and of course Internet access. It's quiet, even. I'm about to set my alarm and drift off into Sapporo-induced sleep. According to my bill, it's only 1764 yen until 7am. Perfect!

Sure beats sitting around the train station all night.
Ekuboko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nrvs wrote:
Well, tonight I must've walked into 8923489 hotels in the area around the train station and I found ZERO available rooms. I spent 1.5 hours pounding the pavement. Luckily, I found basically the best PC bang ever. I've got a private cubicle with a locking door, reclining chair, a TV, PS2, and of course Internet access. It's quiet, even. I'm about to set my alarm and drift off into Sapporo-induced sleep. According to my bill, it's only 1764 yen until 7am. Perfect!

Sure beats sitting around the train station all night.

Embarassed
Nice! I honestly didn't think these existed in Japan - maybe I never looked hard enough for Internet cafes when I was there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: