Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weightlifters
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparkx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Weightlifters Reply with quote

I've been lifting here for about 8 months (8 years total) and have found that my strength and gains have plateaued. I've been using creatine combined with a high protein diet and a solid multi-vitamin.
What would you recommend to use in conjunction with creatine to reach my desired size/strength? I am posting on this board because I am looking for suppliments that are available in Korea. Many of the advanced suppliments from back home won't reach the ROK till 2010 probably...

Thanks
makushi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's naturual to hit a plateau. The danger is trying to fight your way through it by training harder and then possibly over training.

Sometimes, it best to take a week or two off. Change your workout routine for a couple of months, take another rest and then go back to your original routine.

Sorry I didn't answer your question about supplements. IMHO most of them are a waste of your cash. Better just eat four or five squares a day. In you really got the jones for the latest supps, try getting a contact on one of the US military bases.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you can go get some horse juice injected into your butt like most folks obssessed with big muscles do.

Man, just exercise to stay healthy, bugger trying to look like a model.
raytownloc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supplements work, but you pay a price... they can make you nervous, depressed, angry, etc.

here are some other ways to break through a platea, in order of effectiveness...

1. Try varying your workout. If you lift heavy, try lifting high reps every other week for three months.

2. Take a break for a week or two. Let your body rest and rejuvenate.

3. Make sure you sleep enough when you work out hard.

4. Make sure you eat enough meals when you work out hard (thats not enough protein, calories, etc. but enough MEALS, five or six small meals including one right before, one right after.

5. Start every workout with a few sets of heavy legs... like squats (3 sets of 5 at 250 lbs. or more) and leg press (3 sets of 5 at 500 lbs. or more).

6. Try varying your workout. Don't do the same exercises two weeks in a row. Learn a few more from a workout buddy or a fitness pro.
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lifting and working out heavily for around 8 years now. Like it was said earlier, it's normal to hit your plateau after a certain amount of time. Also, I've never used, and will probably never use, any of the garbage that GNC or any other fitness center push. Any gains you get off of that crap is going to be at best, negligible.

Lifting isn't the be-all end-all of fitness. I find it best to do cardio work 3 days a week (running, squat thrusts, a hell of a lot of swimming (probably the best exercise there is), a lot of running up and down stairs, etc) and weight training only two times a week once you've plateaued (upper body one day, lower body the next). I'll happily go head to head against any pure lifting guy any day of the week because unlike them I've developed my endurance.

Just be thankful that you've finally reached the plateau level, now all you have to do is maintenance.
sparkx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just be thankful that you've finally reached the plateau level, now all you have to do is maintenance

But I am looking to add an additional 10 lbs. The reason has nothing to do with vanity (like some dude said earlier who mentioned something about muscle obsession and looking like a model Confused ) but athletics. In two months time I'll be back on the blades playing hockey and I have always performed my best at around 220. For some reason I cannot break past 210....simple enough.

Last edited by sparkx on Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
sparkx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..thanks for the advice all the same
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkx wrote:
In two months time I'll be back on the blades playing hockey and I have always performed my best at around 220. For some reason I cannot break past 210....simple enough.

Gotcha. I play goalie myself so I know where you're coming from.

If all you're working for is straight bulk, go for a lot of white bread, and drink whole milk like crazy. Best weight gain food I've ever seen.
gilgamesh

Location: Always just more than an arms reach from where I want to be... well, Seoul actually.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the weight facilities like over there?? How much is it to join a gym??

Now about supplements. Are they readily available and are they expensive. I want to bring my own when I come over and I am not sure about how I will get on in customs (it does look a bit like cocaine after all...). Opinions??
Butterfly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Weightlifters Reply with quote

sparkx wrote:
I've been lifting here for about 8 months (8 years total) and have found that my strength and gains have plateaued. I've been using creatine combined with a high protein diet and a solid multi-vitamin.
What would you recommend to use in conjunction with creatine to reach my desired size/strength? I am posting on this board because I am looking for suppliments that are available in Korea. Many of the advanced suppliments from back home won't reach the ROK till 2010 probably...

Thanks

I've joined a forum where any questions like that can be answered, a really great site and forum. New ideas for workouts, diets etc. http://www.abcbodybuilding.com is really helpful.
sparkx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterfly - Informative site...thanks man.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I apologise. I automatically assumed you were one of 90% of the weightlifters I've met who do it because of some bit of vainity. My bad.
raytownloc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

consider me part of the 90%...

There are other reasons, but vanity is a big part I admit it.
Pootie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I was going to reply, but Raytown's got it covered...
yodanole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: supplements Reply with quote

Supplements are generally worse than not exercising at all.. Take that to the bank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: