Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please ... I need some help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Marchioness

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:33 pm    Post subject: Please ... I need some help! Reply with quote

Sad My director, with whom I have had a couple of unpleasant encounters, has just thrown me another of his curveballs: he wants me to work one hour a day at a different location than the hagwon - teaching company executives.

Since I've fine-tuned my contract, I have a clause stating that the hagwon may not ask me to work in another location; I've told him that and showed him the clause and also told him that I will do it as long as he gets written permission from Immigration that I can do it. Now he asked me again to do it without written authorization.

Can someone please point out which section of the Korean Labour laws are being violated so that I can get this guy off my back?????

Thanks in advance

The Marchioness
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a violation of the terms of your E-2 visa, which states you may only teach at the location specified (the location of your hagwon)

If you're busted teaching at the wrong location then you're up for a hefty fine and possible deportation.
But you probably new that already...

Go to the EFL Law website and you might find what you're looking for there Smile
chi-chi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert on this because it's never happened to me, but I can suggest that you go to immigration yourself and let them know what's going on.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently realised that although the two places I work at are virtually side by side (same owners), I need to get my E2 visa updated because they have different mailing addresses!

I sent EFL-Law an email about this and this was their response:

(can also be found on ther FAQ section)

Here is the excerpt from EFL-Law
Quote:

(9) What if I have to work at two or more locations? Is this allowed
by the rules?

9. a) Employees often have to work at two or more locations, but each
situation must be distinguished. In the case of an EPIK employee,
he/she may work at two or more different government school locations per week. The schools come within the umbrella of the Ministry of Education, so the employee can work at multiple locations. Similarly, some private schools/hagwons have their employee travel to a branch of that same hagwon, and work there. In these two aforementioned cases, the Employer must advise the Immigration of the fact within 15 days.

b) The next category is where the Employer has the Employee
subcontracted to a different employer. In this case where the foreigner (teacher) who is holding an E-2 status (Teaching Foreign Languages) and must work for another hagwon, the following documents are required by Immigration;
- passport
- foreign registration card
- application form
- contract paper
- letters from both employers
- fee of 60,000 Won.

c) The final category is when an English teacher holding an E-2 status
(Teaching Foreign Languages) desires to add a working place (for example, at a different place of a different employer), the following documents are required.
- Passport
- Foreign registration card
- Application form
- Contract paper
- Release letter - Reference - Fee : 60,000"

The Marchioness: Point B refers to your situation. It is illegal for you to work at the second location without notifying immigration.

For further information, you can also check out these threads:

1. Let this be a warning to you

Last edited by waterbaby on Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
yakey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful how you approach this situation. If you piss off your boss, he can make your life very unpleasant. If you start quoting the E-2 Bible and giving him problems, I'd be willing to bet that he's gonna get you when you're not looking - a bad schedule, extra classes on site, move you into a bad apartment, let you go. You have to weigh the good and the bad and be a diplomat about things. I know that's sometimes very hard, but we just have to endure some things we don't like for the better situation next time here on the ESL roller coaster. Good luck
The Marchioness

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no - I disagree with having to 'weigh the good and the bad' ' as you put it. The 'bad' is getting caught, fined, deported. I am a foreigner working in Korea. I must obey the laws of Korea, even if it has my boss twisting himself into all sorts of contortions.

So, he has been badgering me with all kinds of speeches and this has been going on for a few days. Finally, after last night's discussion, the guy gets it into his noodle that I will not do it. Guess what happened????? He asked me for all my paperwork and he is beetling off to Seoul Immigration tomorrow. Why???? Because he needs me way more than I need him, that's why. One point for me and if anybody wants to hand some over, I'll even take some well-deserved applause.

The Marchioness
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: