Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying own plane ticket to come to Korea to look for a job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinst

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Buying own plane ticket to come to Korea to look for a job Reply with quote

I need some sage advice here.Very Happy
Would I be better off if I was to purchase my own round trip ticket, thus having the freedom to interview the prospective schools myself, vs. having to take another persons word for it.
Also, wouldn�t the school that hires me, have to reimburse my roundtrip ticket? I am looking at jobs in Busan, and there seems to be a plethora of employment available.

Thanks for your input,
Kevin
TJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Buying your own ticket Reply with quote

Yes, you would be better off coming to Korea to actually meet prospective employers and view their schools etc. Assuming, of course, that you are moderately presentable ie. your physical appearance and the way you dress. A face to face interview benefits both employee and employer.

With regard to reimbursement for the cost of the ticket ..... that is up to your negotiating skills. Some employers may take the attitude that as you are already here they won't pay for your ticket to come to Korea. You would have to firmly but politely tell them that you won't accept the position unless they reimburse you for the cost of your ticket here ..... and, of course, return travel to your home country.

Reimbursement for travel to Korea should be within one week of you starting work. Reimbursement for the return section should be no later that the last week of your contract. It is better if you can get this money at least two weeks before so you have time change it into another currency or send it back home.

Remember that employers will only pay for the cheapest fare. If you elect to travel business class you will have to pay the difference.

Finally, if you are successful you will have to fly to another country, probably Japan, to get your E2 visa. Your contract should specify that your employer will pay all costs associated with this.

Good luck.
atc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: thinking about doing that as well Reply with quote

I am Vietnamese-Canadian. Since I am having no luck finding a job here, because of the discrimination of being a non-white native english speaker, I was wondering if it is a good idea for me to buy a plane ticket and do my job search in Korea. Do you think I will have better luck doing that?
I have been looking since the beginning of April.
rawiri

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i paid for my own airfare, and brought over about 1300 us, the problem i found with looking for work was that if you go door knocking yourself, most hagwons dont need a replacement for at least a month, so they may say they need a teacher but not for 30 days or whatever, i wasnt prepared to wait this long so i relented and jumped on the internet to recruiters, telling them i was in korea and that i wanted work asap, i had a job the next day, also i tried thru recruiters back home in nz, but i didnt get anywhere, so i saved some cash an just jumped on a plane, and so far everything is sweet as, i just got back from japan and now i have my e2 visa, so yeah i reccommend coming over here first, then looking for work.
Pootie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES, DO IT!...you can always find -rivates to have some income until you find a job...I found 2 in 1 hour just walking around kangnam
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it is better to be looking for a job over here in Korea than back in your home country. I did it last Fall and got a pretty good job that I wouldn't have been able to get had I been back in the States. A couple tips/comments:

Come around between the 10th and 15th of the month. If you come at the beginning of the month, most hogwons will be looking to hire you for the next month, so that gives you 20 or so days with nothing to do. I came on the 10th, got a job around the 25th, and then had an extra 5 days to chill and do a little traveling.

Why are you going to get a round-trip ticket? Just wondering. You can come here on a 1-way ticket. I didn't get reimbursed for my airfare. Since the job was pretty ideal and I was running out of time/money, I couldn't go with the ultimatium of walking away if they didn't pay me back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: