Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kangdong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danyuk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Kangdong? Reply with quote

Anyone there at the mo, most likely going there in a week...any news much appreciated.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Kangdong/Gangdong as in a subway stop #812 on line #8 in Songpa Gu, Seoul?
danyuk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

definately kangdong!
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangdong and gangdong are the same word with different romanistions. It means 'East of the River' and is a pretty common place name here. One of the Seoul wards is called 'Gangdong' and like waterbaby said, there is also a subway station in that area with the name.

Perhaps you could be more specific and say the province and/or city.
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kangdong in Seoul is located near the Olympic Park, which is near Chamshil where you can find Lotte World. Like most areas in Seoul, it's developing rather quickly, but less developed than other major areas in Seoul. In other words, you will not find a vast night life like you can find near Hongdae or Shinchon area, and getting to Itaewon is a bit of a trip during the late drunken hours of walking up that hill.

On the other hand, if you want to travel throughout Korea, it's located very close to one of the main bus terminals and if you like the ocean, it's the closest outlet to the east sea toward the most famous mountains in Korea, Mt. Sorak.
danyuk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is lotte world? Read something in the past, i'm thinking its some kind of Mall?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lottle World is a big amusement park in Seoul - part indoor, part outdoor. I go there pretty regularly (picked up an annual membership) 'cos I love rides. The gyro-swing is pretty good, but the lines can be too long. I avoid the place on weekends but often get down there on a weeknight, catch a ride or 3 and then head home quite satisfied Very Happy

Gangdong is also pretty close to one of the Hangang Parks. It's also close to Cheonho which isn't a bad area. Takes about 30 mins to get to Central Seoul by subway (the transfer at Cheonho to line 5 is so quick, straight down a set of stairs) and it's less than 30 mins from there and about 40 mins to get to Itaewon... two subway changes but they're pretty quick and painless ones.

It's not a particularly vibrant area or foreigners hangout. Depends what you're looking for.
danyuk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i may not end up there anyway...but if i do, it would probably be good to keep me away from too much temptation; i am thinking of saving u c! What is the latest time u can get back from city centre on fri/sat night? i.e. is there a 24hour service or u need a cab?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last train from Hongdae is 11:16pm Very Happy Whoo hoo!
Cabs back from there are about 15,000 won (just don't get into the fancy and abundant black cabs - waaaaay too expensive Embarassed oops)
Not sure what time the first trains start. This old duck doesn't last much beyond 2am... zzzzzzzzz
danyuk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Waterbaby.

Just did the math and that works out at �7.56 (na, i used the currency convertor on the web!!)

thats not bad though, are they illegal cabs - not that i care - wanna know if they r easy to spot?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, nothing illegal about these cabs, just big and luxurious and twice the price. Anyway, lesson learnt, not grabbing the first available cab anymore...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: