Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone done a Visa run to China?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Summer Wine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Has anyone done a Visa run to China? Reply with quote

I am curious whether it is possible or easy?

(for those who say do a search, I did. Visa run - china) the top returns had nothing to do with visa or China. So this is one where I might get an answer from someone who has done it. If you haven't, I don't need to hear from you. I will bump this on my own.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone done a Visa run to China? Reply with quote

Summer Wine wrote:
I am curious whether it is possible or easy?

(for those who say do a search, I did. Visa run - china) the top returns had nothing to do with visa or China. So this is one where I might get an answer from someone who has done it. If you haven't, I don't need to hear from you. I will bump this on my own.

It can be done.
A few thoughts before you do it though....

Who will pay for your Chinese entry visa? Westerners are not visa waivered in China and you have to get it (up to 4 days for the application).

Cost of airfare is more than the run to Japan. $550 on Air china last time I went (spring 2005) and up to $700 for KAL.

Hotel cost in a place where the front desk speaks English is US$30-100 per night. Home Inn is OK at about RMB280 per night.

It takes 2-4 days for the visa processing in China. Embassy staff speak Korean and Chinese (with VERY LIMITED English).
teachmeenglish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange nothin came up on your search as I posted about it 6 months ago.

Anyway, I lived in Beijing and got my visa at the Korean embasy in Beijing. It took a weekend to get the visa. Dropped it off thrsday morning and after beign told 1 week, smiled nice and was told OK monday. Thier english is OK. Flights to BJ (no joke that is what everyone calls it) are too expensive at about 600K, hotels are $100 a night but stay at the Zhaolong youth hostel (hosteling Internationlal can be booked online) for about 8 a night. If it is a visa run then probably better to go to japan, but if if is a mini vacation then china is wonderful.
lastat06513

Location: Sensus amo Caesar , etiamnunc victus amo uni plebian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the Korean embassy in Beijing to get notarized copies of my degree and transcripts (that was before the BS that is being done now). Once you get there, you are in line with about 1000 Korean students who want to notarize their student package to extend their stay in China.
As for limited English, that is very true (also limited Chinese too).
It is better to go to Japan since it is more convenient in regards to visa runs.
Summer Wine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to all who answered. I had thought that as I haven't been to China it might be worth killing two birds with 1 stone, but it seems that it would be too much hassle for the time I have available. Thanks, I guess I will do Japan and holiday in China later.
canukteacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Hong Kong, instead of mainland China? The embassy is easy to find, and it is not crowded. As far as the airfare goes, it wasn't much more than what a friend of mine paid to go to Osaka around the same time (this past August).

CT
skindleshanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did it--but it's not too easy--you have to stand in line with dozens of Chinese (about half a day if you get there early) to get into the office. Then they'll tell you tjat you have to wait a week to have it issued. If you explain your situation, you "might" be able to get it the next day (My fiancee at the time had phoned ahead and they said there would be no problems, so I was quite shocked when they siad it was impossible. After some pleading and a meeting with one of the the higher-ups tere, they "rushed" it through. It still took essentially two half-days of waiting.)

By comparison, Fukuoka is a whole lot easier. However, China is an experience that almost makes it worth it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: