Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

to Study Korean - where's the best?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Watchful

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: to Study Korean - where's the best? Reply with quote

Hi! I'm looking for a hagwon or university program that's not too pricy where I can study the Korean language. I'm thinking 2 hours a day for 2-4 days per week. Near Kangnam or Jamsil would be the most convenient. Any advice? Any experiences to share?

I got here just over a month ago and realized I should get movin' to speak the language as I couldn't find salt at the market. Hmm. Anyways. Smile
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any first hand experience of Korean language classes, but I do remember these threads and it's a start.

1. Sogang Korean Course for Waygookin
2. Chosun University Korean Class

I remember some posters were discussing a course in the Jamsil area a little while ago (I was considering signing up for them), but I can't find it now Crying or Very sad
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:25 am    Post subject: Information you wanted Reply with quote

Here is a link to a list of many schools in Seoul. Some include prices. Some are near Kangnam. Check out the 3rd one down on the list. It fits you perfect:

http://www.fulbright.or.kr/eta/english/eta-language-programs.html
seoulman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally found these classes to be very boring and overall a waste. The couple of hours a week Kangnam-style language school isn't going to be much more (if any more) beneficial to you than simply going to a good bookstore and buying a few good books with tapes. Add a Korean informant to the mix to answer questions you might have and help you practice conversation and you are good to go. Of course this takes more self-discipline. If you really want an intense language experience then the universities are the way to go. Of course, these are pricey and take up more than 2 hours a day.
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Maybe Reply with quote

Well, I'd agree that the University route is the way to go, if you can do it. But everyone has to start somewhere. Some is better than nothing. I would suggest that the person learn to read Hangul first. That is easy to do on your own, and with a little pronounciation help recorded to tape from a Korean friend.

By the way, Seoulman... where is that Avatar from? She's cute.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest location to you would be KLA in Kangnam. It is near Kangnam Station. THe name is "Seoul Korean Language Academy"
There are a number of different course options availble. The one I'm taking is on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday Evenings from 7pm to 9pm. So, 6 hours a week. A month of these classes costs 220 000won. There is another class that runs 5 days a week in the mornings for an hour each day. This course costs 290 000won. There are weekend classes available as well.

Seoul National University also has a program and is not too far from you.
PM me if you want more into about KLA. I believe it is the only place offering classes in Kangnam Gu.

Cheers!
Godzilla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call on the Avatar Derrick.. come on Seoulman, spill the beans!!!!
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by little mixed girl on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
hojucandy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: sukmyeong course Reply with quote

sukmyeong women's university offers a very good free (suggested donation W1,000 per class) course in korean. classes are held every saturday at 4.30pm. i have already made a post to the "korean language resources" sticky thread about this.

for help finding where the course is PM me.
qwunk89

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: LTRC Reply with quote

Anybody studied here or have info. about it. Language Teaching Research Center, near Gwanghwamun station? thanks - split
blackbird

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, get someone to write a message in Korea that says " I want someone to teach me Korean."

Take this note (include your phone number) to the local grocery store and stick it on the window ( you may have to bribe the owner).

Within 2 days you will have a private Korean teacher.
sid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a useful page, it lists the universities and hagwons which have Korean language programs and links to their websites:

http://english.seoul.go.kr/residents/education/edu_02korean.html
simone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone studied at SookDae? (Sookmyung Women's University)?

Seen posters for it, their classes start Oct. 31 - I was too late to join Sogang's program.

Basically - is it real Korean, or overly formal and outdated vocabulary that you'll never need?

I took a class near Kwangwhamun last year, and the first class was teaching us vocabulary like inkwell, calligraphy brush, Kimchi pot, mill, those bamboo things that people wear over their shoulders.... total waste of time. Oh yes, and they scowled at us whenever we used -yo. I appeased them by completing the practice in -imnida and then quickly reviewing it in less formal language... with a pleading look of "please listen to this to..."

I went to maybe four classes. Frustrating.

So yeah, how's Sookdae? Any info appreciated.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied level 2 at sookdae. Unfourtantly I got really sick mid way through the course. Be warned they go through the material quite quickly, so you will really have to study in order to keep up. But still a reasonably solid course.
Hater Depot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best place to study Korean is at home, with a decent textbook and some audiotapes and good dictionaries.

The best place to learn Korean is in a bar, hanging out with your Korean friends or flirting with the bartender.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: