Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me hike
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blunder1983 wrote:
Any one got ne specfic instructions for hitting an easy hill?

Super easy hill, and IN Inchon. Go to the Inchon Memorial landing or the Inchon Municipal museum and start walking in the direction of UP. If you don't know how to get there just jump in a cab and say 'Songdo Beach hotel' (which BTW has one of the more decent buffets in Incheon on the top floor).
(I'm getting a serious deja vu vibe Wink ).
blunder1983

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks for the responses i'm most grateful!

Alas i have trainers and jeans but no proper hiking gear hmm I think i'll hit songdo anyway this week, and the talk of a buffet only sweetens the deal! Very Happy
teachmeenglish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without minimizing what others have said about what to bring, I have hiked to the top of Pukhansan in Tevas and have seen people in Suits and dress shoes on the top. So, be careful but still you dont need to take the mountains in seoul too seriously. Yes people die on the mountains, but they usually are hiking off trail on dangerous places with lots of Soju in thier system. Jeans and trainers are more than enough for a day hike in the seoul area if you dont go on a rainy day, stay on trails, and plan to be down by 3pm in the spring to fall. Unlike many Koreans you do not need an Ice axe (esp in summer), bear bells and a ton of other equipment.

Basicly use your brain, but dont be intimidated. the highest mountians in Seoul are no more than 600m elevation gain (except very top of Tobongsan and Pukhansan)
joe_doufu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think sneakers (er, trainers) are probably OK, if they are high enough to support your ankles somewhat. Comfort and protection from ankle twisting are the main issues, traction and waterproofing are less important.

It was interesting to me to learn that my Korean teacher applies the word "un dong hua" (exercise shoes) to all vaguely sneakerlike shoes, even the ones that are purely fashion accessories and couldn't be used for exercise.
seoulhiker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wishes to go hiking in the Seoul area on Sundays, PM me. I'm almost always on the hills.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blunder1983 wrote:
Wow thanks for the responses i'm most grateful!

Alas i have trainers and jeans but no proper hiking gear hmm I think i'll hit songdo anyway this week, and the talk of a buffet only sweetens the deal! Very Happy

I think you could go up this hill in high heels if you wanted to, it's not very large at all.

Actually, even better than the buffet is the galbi restaurant in Songdo called the Kyungbukkoong, you can't miss it as it's the only one that looks like a giant traditional mansion (not to mention it's the only one named after a palace).
seoulhiker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wishes to go hiking in the Seoul area on Sundays, PM me. I'm almost always on the hills.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: