Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NOW it comes up???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
em

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:22 pm    Post subject: NOW it comes up??? Reply with quote

I'm at the stage now where I have been sent a contract to sign and in the email to which the contract is attached, the director mentions something about wanting to talk to me about a summer program, in which I "will participate as a teacher". What new devillry is this? Anyone's bells going off? For what am I in store??? 70 working hours a week, but I can "decline the offer" if I please? Or am I freakin' for nothing?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Em, Some hagwons close their regular classes for one or more weeks during the summer and winter school holidays and offer an alternative program... kind of like a summer camp thing (but without the wilderness and being away from home part.)

Some other hagwons use the school holiday period to generate extra revenue and put on extra classes such as an "intensive" english program for two hours each morning. Some teachers are expected/required to teach their regular hours, plus an extra hour or two (or more) per day for the holiday period.

I'd talk to your director about the program first before freaking. It could be any number of scenarios... If you can decline the offer, then you've not got much to worry about.

Just be cautious of your boss (or anyone for that matter... even your foreign co-teachers!) taking advantage of your newness to the Korean EFL game and putting you in a position where you feel that you can't say no. It does happen. You don't want to get off on the wrong foot by saying "no" but at the same time you don't want to mark yourself as an easy target when future "favours" are to be asked. I think you shoudl assert yourself early.

Wait and see what your director has to say about his/her summer program intentions.
em

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Waterbaby,

I emailed my director about the summer program. The silly thing is that I would be okay with working some extra hours when I first get there. I just have a problem with not being dealt with honestly. Perhaps I need to let that go now that I'm headed over to Korea, but, well, y'know..... I was reading Rike's wonderful website and she mentioned that there are some issues with looking my boss in the eye constantly (a friend who lived in Japan mentioned the same thing). Shocked That is, of course, how we Westerners communicate our self-confidence and integrity. It's gonna take some getting used to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: