Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teach privates on an F-2 visa
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mack the knife

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: teach privates on an F-2 visa Reply with quote

true or false:

it is legal to teach privates on an F-2 visa if you declare your income and pay tax on it.

i read a post about a month ago making just such an assertion.
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: legal it is Reply with quote

With the F2-1 you can get a tutoring certificate from the local Education department and teach privates English....legal.
I have one, and my wife and I run a small study room.
GottaBeKD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I get an F2-1?
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How do I get an F2-1?

Marry a Korean. Smile
GottaBeKD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cthulhu wrote:
Quote:
How do I get an F2-1?

Marry a Korean. Smile

Is that it? And I can I teach at a hogwon after marriage? OR is it only for privates? (I should be married in a few months)
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wookie will have to answer that one--I haven't checked into the privates situation yet. By the way Wookie, did you go to the main education branch in Busan to register?
BTM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more details on the F2-1 visa, folks? Specifically, what it lets you do (fly, turn invisible, quit drinking) and what it doesn't? This is the first I've heard about this puppy, and marriage might well be on the cards this year, if the potential inlaws give the nod...
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are asking the WRONG people for the info you want. You need to ASK immigration! Only then will you know exactly. Even then, it's subject to change. Immigration has told me that it is ILLEGAL to teach privates with an F2 even though the office of education issues a certificate and sanctions the teachings. Immigration law takes precedence over other laws applying to foreigners. You need their permission to work. Period.
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep...check out Immigration http://www.moj.go.kr/mojeng/index.php
You will not find the F2-1 mentioned there however among the visa classes.

You will also see that foreign students can work part time starting next march.

I agree with Hellof a guy above me. You asked a question so people answer...NEVER rely on other workers on these matters. Check everything out direct as well.
Immigration does control who can work and who can't..the F2-1 (different than the F2) does allow you to work. But not as an Englsih teacher. I got a tutoring permit ;not a permit to teach..maybe there is a difference to Koreans, as high school students can get a tutor permit.. but even Koreans are supposed to have degrees to teach at Hogwan...so again MAYBE there is a difference?

Maybe I am wrong and totally mistaken....but I've got my permit in hand (ok its on the wall of the 'tutoring' room)
I have never met anyone who is always right either.....
mack the knife

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds to me like there is some confusion within the beauracracy. this confusion is what i will use to defend myself if slapped with a fine for tutoring.
BTM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
You need to ASK immigration! Only then will you know exactly.

That's a good one! I've never gotten the same answer from two different immigration officials to the same question.
here it is

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

posted this in another thread, but it is on topic here too...same topic, actually...

While I don't doubt that stunted wookie has registered with the min of education to teach privates and has been told all is fine...it technically is not. I have an F-2 and asked about teaching privates. The ministry of education said it's fine, just register with them, give them an estimate of the number of students I had. Also, register with the tax office. No problem. I was so psyched, planned on opening a kyoshil. Then, when I told immigration my plan (just prior to plunking down cash to rent a site) they pulled the relevant law and showed me a line that strictly prohibits F-1 through F-3 from tutoring. I was floored, said the ministry had no prob, etc. He got on the phone to the ministry, pointed out the relevant law and the minstry official humbly apologized to me. So, good on yah, stunted. I shouldn't have mentioned it to immigration.

That being said, instead of opening my own little study room, I've jumped in with both feet and will be opening my own little hagwon. Main differences being I have to come up with 27 pyung of usable classroom space, it must be in a building zoned for commercial endeavors, the site has to meet all ministry of education regulations for hagwons...and that's a long list...just a lot more red-tape. On the plus side I can hire employees (and exploit the living tar out of them - for I will be the EVIL hagwon director?) and go to hagwon director meetings (right!). Anyway, I envy you now, stunted. Imagine the degree of envy will grow in time...
mack the knife

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here it is,

you getting a loan to secure that 27 pyeong commercial space?

just curious, 'cause i'm planning on doing the same thing...i'm assuming the hogwon will be registered in your wife's name, so you don't have to put in the 50 mil. required of foreign investors...of course, you'll (we'll) probably need much more than that to open a hogwon that will potentially take business away from the established "big boys."
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I are on that same path..looking at a hogwan in the future...
To compete with the big boys...hell just write a sign in anything but Konglish and you can compete just fine...
The locals are so hyped on 'American' English...advertising that your school is owned and operated by foreigners would probably go a long way in the eyes of Azuma.

Yep I can't wait until we open...hire some idealistic neophyte direct from graduation to the hogwan......48 hours class time a week, have to serve kindy's lunch, prep time, plus cleaning time (Not paid of course)...Saturday and Sunday classes...Tuesday afternoons off only.
1.4 million to start, 1.2 to finish....Korean holidays off....without pay.

Must take Korean lessons (to be deducted off the salary), first 4 months wages are held as deposit...18.3% tax.

Housing provided.....provided they will stay with my neighbor....

HA...I could go on for hours....That rant made me feel pretty good! Have a great weekend!
dutchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 27 pyung space you will not be opening a language hagwon. It would be a Bosup hagwon (a general study hagwon). I hope I'm wrong but I don't thinks so. If your wife opens it, immigration will NOT give you permission to work there. My wife and I were hours away from signing a least contract when immigration informed us that someone on an F-2 would not be allowed to work at a Bosup hagwon. That's my experience. Of course, they may tell someone else something different. Wouldn't be the first time.

If you want to open a language hagwon you need 50 pyung of classroom space.

I've given up on trying to jump through immigration's hoops. We've opened the kyoshil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: