Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photography and developing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aless

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Photography and developing Reply with quote

I have recently decided to take up photography and so purchased a second-hand SLR. The problem is with the developing services here. I have tried 3 developers so far and found 2 main problems:

1. The quality is pretty crappy. Smudges and pits and some strange color effects.

2. (If this is a cultural difference it is my favorite so far.) The developers will make judgement calls on the photos as to what is actually worth developing. I understand that some of my shots have been over or under-exposed, but they will avoid developing a shot if someone is blocking their face. I think that is a riot and I imagine a Korean fellow getting some photos done in Canada and being incesed that the shop would actually develop all of them, even the obviously bad ones, and charge him for them.

Unfortunately my delight doesn't help me in this situation.

Anyone have a similar tale to tell? What are your experiences with yee ol' PhotoMat?

I am also looking for some advice.

many thanks
ThreeDogNight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Photography and developing Reply with quote

Aless wrote:
I have recently decided to take up photography and so purchased a second-hand SLR. The problem is with the developing services here. I have tried 3 developers so far and found 2 main problems:

1. The quality is pretty crappy. Smudges and pits and some strange color effects.

2. (If this is a cultural difference it is my favorite so far.) The developers will make judgement calls on the photos as to what is actually worth developing. I understand that some of my shots have been over or under-exposed, but they will avoid developing a shot if someone is blocking their face. I think that is a riot and I imagine a Korean fellow getting some photos done in Canada and being incesed that the shop would actually develop all of them, even the obviously bad ones, and charge him for them.

Unfortunately my delight doesn't help me in this situation.

Anyone have a similar tale to tell? What are your experiences with yee ol' PhotoMat?

I am also looking for some advice.

many thanks

I did photography for a while and often felt the same since I was a novice and a couple of pictures just done disappeared which made me wonder if I was a real bozo with the camera or somebody making money on the side.

You don't have to pay them if you're disappointed in the handling. You're an artist, tell them to develop them again and again and they'll get the point.
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im at a loss as far as where to take my pictures. Ive tried a few local places, but its the same thing...weird marks, missing pictures, and low quality paper. Don't know what to do except save them for when i get home...
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said this before, the best place for printing pictures is Timefoto. Go to chungmuro station exit 5 keep walking about 3-4 minutes. It's on your right with a bus stop immediately infront.

I always get contact sheets printed first then choose the prints I want.

Contact Sheet = ����
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you (OP) on both counts, this happened to me all the time. I get most of my printing done at the Kodak place in COEX, though I shoot almost exclusively b&w and they actually outsource the printing for that. It gets sent to another place and takes a few days usually to get back, but the quality is pretty good. I give them special instructions to print every exposure and to use matte finishing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: