Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you deal with the "I hate Korea" days?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: How do you deal with the "I hate Korea" days? Reply with quote

I'm hoping for something more, well, substantial, than the drinking suggestion.

Leaving the country, while a highly attractive option to me right now, is also not possible.

Soooooo...what is there?

What do you do when you just want to strangle every little obnoxious Korean kid you see...regardless of whether or not they are screaming
hel-loooooo at your back.

Come on here and post about it, I guess.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Come on here and post about it, I guess.

No question that many people cope by coming here and venting. Nothing wrong with that either, but it tends to give visitors to this site a negative impression... "what a bunch of complainers!" Few people come on here to talk up the super day they're having.

When I was here after 2 years I reached the cracking point - I had come up with a logical, airtight theory about how all Korean kids under the age of 10 are idiots. Thus, I decided it was time for me to leave so I did.

Funny thing happens when you leave Korea for a few years - you forget the bad stuff and really want to come back. I was glad to return.

Now, two years later, I'm looking forward to leaving again. I doubt I'll come back a 2nd time though.
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
I doubt I'll come back a 2nd time though.

whaddevaaaaaah
Pootie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

workout, not just because you stay healthy, but because after 6 hours of teaching, I can't wait to hit the bench fast enough. Just me, it helps you on SO many levels. Physically, emotionally, etc...
Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so maybe I should have added for those who don't know, that I have a 3-month-old. When I am supposed to find the time to work out? Crying or Very sad
rapier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baby don't cry, baby don't cry
When the world gets you down
And nothing seems right
Turn around, ask yourself
Who's gonna make it right?
-This is what I sing to myself on the bad days...and yes I am the friend of the night porter who was on duty in the Double Bay hotel, Sydney, when Michael Hutchence was found. just thought I'd share that.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of a Korean person you love, whether romantically or a friend.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My philosophy is that it is all mind over matter. Keep telling yourself that everywhere in the world has it's good and bad points. Don't blame individual problems on the entire Korean race. If an old lady yells at you it is because she is hateful and spiteful, not because all old Korean ladies are that way.

I try to take the time and tell myself how lucky I am. I'm healthy, I'm educated, I have family and friends, etc. I try to put things into perspective.....how does my standard of living compare with that of other people in the world? Well it probably fits into the top two or three percent......so do I have any right to complain and feel bad? Hell no! The world is a great place and I'm lucky to have the life I have! Just accentuate the positive! You have a 3 month old? There is something totally awesome to feel great about. Have you ever tried meditating? How about just getting 20 minutes of quiet time somewhere and just doing nothing? Just sitting there and thinking about how great life is......I bet it will do wonders!

Really it's just your mind making you think.....'this is an "I Hate Korea" day' Really you're just not in a good mood.....the "I hate Korea" thing is projection of your inner feelings.....or so I will assume. If I am wrong, and you really do hate Korea than the solution is really simple and I think you probably already know what it is!
matko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Korean apartment buildings have easy access to the roof. Actually alot of fun can be had up there. When I was having a bad day, I would go up there with a couple beers and pretend I was a sniper! Laughing
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bitch to a korean about how horrible the country is. thus, all my korean friends knew how much i hated korea ^^
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have "I hate Korea" days. Very Happy

PS. There are people on this board who actually have "I hate Korea" days? Shocked Shocked Shocked
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pootie wrote:
workout, not just because you stay healthy, but because after 6 hours of teaching, I can't wait to hit the bench fast enough. Just me, it helps you on SO many levels. Physically, emotionally, etc...

pootie you havent been here long enough dude!
the gym thing learn korean, taekwondo and all that other cool stuff people want to get into here, but when you are at 28 years old, been here 6 years and marrid with kid at 10pm when you get home, you just want to chill and watch leno, letterman and sleep so you can wake at 8am and start it all over again!!!
I was juggling the gym and work before but now! Cant Be F@$%@!

maybe later when my schedule and life style changes!
LIKE MOVING TO A TROPICAL ISLAND AND SITTING ON A BEACH EARNING 20%~

justagirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

Here's what I do:

read a book
sleep
eat something I want from home (American food of some sort)
write something; how I'm feeling, what's making me angry, what I want, now I can get what I want, etc...
make a list of the things I like about Korea
go someplace new
meet up with a friend and go have coffee

I hear you about those "hate Korea days." It doesn't sound very flattering to even mention that one has them, but anyone who's been here for a while definitely has the propensity for days like this.
Make sure you are getting enough sleep. I find that when I'm tired, I'm more easily annoyed by the stares on the street.
I'll be thinking about you today.
justagirl
Bound in Bundang

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1) Find the nearest crosswalk at an intersection that's not TOO busy.
(2) Stand - STAND - in the center of the crosswalk until someone in a car needs to get past, stops, and starts honking at you.
(3) Then, you turn and scream - SCREAM - at the insensitive lout for interrupting your reverie.
(4) Repeat step 3. Continue screaming until all your demons have been exorcised.
(5) Smile at the stunned driver, offer a kind wave, and walk away, whistling a happy tune.

Peace, blissful peace.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Become a moderater on Daves Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Just kidding. Umm... been here six years only really had a long bout of bad Korea days in my first year during IMF and the hellwon. I suggest keeping busy, baby should do that for you - but may also add to your stress especially after around 9 months old.

Get a hobby, find something interesting that you can do at home. personally I am building 2 web-sites, read lots of books, take care of the baby, and meet a couple of my friends regulary - these freinds are veteran ex-pats so we have a lot in common.

Try to avoid whiny complainers, you know the type, the ones who wouldn't be happy back home either. They complain about everything. Take a vacation, domestic if you have to. there are lots of great places to visit. Just don't go there on the weekend.

Have you thought about trying to hook up with a couple of posters here who are in a similar situation as you. Mixed couples (I recall you said your husband is Korean) with or without babies. Join a church - I met about 3 or 4 mixed couples that way. Actually in August, I'm supposed to hook up with Ody if we can both find time. She is also foreign with a Korean husband.

BTW, where are you? Seoul or elsewhere?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: