Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

strict vegetarian
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sliver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also some SDA resturants in every city which are strickly vegetarian and buffae style. Also you buy the TVP type products there if your into that.

Personally I will have the sogalbi......

But many people I know here are vegetarian and seem to do OK.

Good luck
danni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't be scared off going out to eat with other foreigners in groups, even tho they'll most likely go to a meat restaurant. Just order rice and you'll find that most of the side dishes are vegetarian-friendly.

One word of advice though - when someone (a korean) tells you there isn't meat in something, that doesn't mean there is no seafood in it. apparently, that doesn't count.......
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the OP, here are two threads about being a vegetarian in Korea. Might be some more useful info here.

1.. The Old Veggie Food Question
2. How Easy is it to be a Vegetarian in Seoul?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the info everyone.....
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoultrader wrote:

Kinda like going to dinner with a Haitian homosexual hemophiliac heroin addict...not a lot of dishes I'm gonna be sharing with the dude. Laughing

I wouldn't go that far. Eating out with a vegetarian is more like going drinking with a tee-totaller. Your options are way, way limited on where you can eat and the whole ordeal is just a gigantic pain the ass.

That's not even counting the afformentioned tendency for veggies to spout off continuously about their vegetarianism. I rank 'em right up there with Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons on the "people I don't want to hang out with" list.
mrroboto

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst is wayguks who act surprised and try to shame you into eating meat, as if it's something you could/should turn off for their convenience.
cheem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank Scorpio wrote:
That's not even counting the afformentioned tendency for veggies to spout off continuously about their vegetarianism.

For every dogmatic vegetarian there's an equally dogmatic meat-eater. Just my observation.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Quote:
That's not even counting the afformentioned tendency for veggies to spout off continuously about their vegetarianism. I rank 'em right up there with Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons on the "people I don't want to hang out with" list.

i see right through you hank. without diversity you'd have no room to whine. imagine that. you're welcome to hang out with me.
Very Happy
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpio, Get real man. Are you serious? I have never made anyone go to a 'special' restaurant just for me. I regualarly go to the Korean bbq's just like everyone else. The options ARE NOT severly limited as to where you can eat. I can eat at the same place as you! Have you noticed all those little round white bowls on the table or has the glare of the lights reflecting off of the congealed pork fat blinded you? They are filled with veggie dishes! wow.....isn't that something......and that green stuff you wrap your animal carcass in.....well that's called lettuce and that is a vegetable too.

I'm left imagining a man that eats nothing but beef and pork and calls anyone that touches a vegetable a 'candy-a$$ panty-waist'. Actually I'm fairly certain that you are just trying to start a fight....

I'm not going to get into all of the arguments in favor of a vegetarian diet. They are numerous though, and the benefits of a meat based diet are few.
Tancred

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Seoultrader wrote:

Kinda like going to dinner with a Haitian homosexual hemophiliac heroin addict...not a lot of dishes I'm gonna be sharing with the dude. Laughing

I wouldn't go that far. Eating out with a vegetarian is more like going drinking with a tee-totaller. Your options are way, way limited on where you can eat and the whole ordeal is just a gigantic pain the ass.

I've had a couple of veggie girlfriends in the past, and i've always found them to be quite conciliatory in regards to the whole animal eating thing. They never pontificated unless i started really ragging on them for not eating meat. Granted, restaurant eating with them was sometimes a pain (after all, how many times you can you eat at Ye Olde Falafel house), but they were both excellent cooks and introduced me to a quite under-appreciated cuisine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: