Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Case Study: Help Me Get Over to South Korea in 4 Weeks
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering your funds are limited, you wouldn't have that much time to lollygag in a yagwon organizing a job here in Seoul. But I would organize one from over here anyways. The biggest benefit being that you could actually see the school you'd be working at and the apt you'd be living in, as well as negotiate more effectively because you're already here and schools needed you yesterday. And since the school wouldn't "own" your air ticket, and possibly not have to pay a recruiter (if you did your own negotiating between schools) then you can blow the popsicle stand if the school turns out to be bogus with a minimum of ado. Call it BS insurance.
Never ever give a school your passport, airticket, or original degree. Get a photocopy of your degree notarized by the Korean consul in your city, that's good enough for immigration. I brought three copies of mine since I planned to stay longer than a year. A lot of schools are unaware that immigration will accept notarized copies.
There are enough of us Canucks here in Seoul to help you once you're here should you put out an APB on that.
Sometimes, ya just gotta say "what the ****"
Voyeur

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another one for coming down before signing. Man am I sensing a trend.

I just realized that paying storage for the little stuff I have is NOT worth it so I'm trying to quickly unload all my stuff at super bargain prices but maybe that will raise me another $1000 CDN or so. I'm going to hit up every source I have for loans and try to scrape together the cash needed to go down on my own and then look once I'm there. I thought it was only Taiwan where you really should go down in person. But if even considerin g my minimal resources, all the vets are STILL trying to think up some way for me to manage to NOT sign before I leave - well this tells me something now doesn't it. Smile
Mosley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: What the....??!! Reply with quote

Am I in a Kafka novel or something??!! (Assuming this isn't a troll or a set-up) : a 30-yr.old posts how "good-looking" he is, has no ESL teaching qualifications or experience , but wants "advice". He was a securities broker(poor baby!) and wants to teach and then become a ...wait for it... securities lawyer!!!! And everybody and their hakwan dog are all over themselves to offer advice to this social benefactor!!! Weinies!!!
P.S. What happened to the post on this thread by Mody Ba!!?? He had the right idea....
schwa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure Mody Ba & Mosley are the same person, or they might as wel be.
Voyeur

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the friendly advice Mosley.

When people are done helping me out maybe they will have a chance to get to work on that Mt. Fuji-sized chip on your shoulder.

After all, it's all about lending each other a hand, right?
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: What the....??!! Reply with quote

Mosley wrote:
Am I in a Kafka novel or something??!! (Assuming this isn't a troll or a set-up) : a 30-yr.old posts how "good-looking" he is, has no ESL teaching qualifications or experience , but wants "advice". He was a securities broker(poor baby!) and wants to teach and then become a ...wait for it... securities lawyer!!!! And everybody and their hakwan dog are all over themselves to offer advice to this social benefactor!!! Weinies!!!
P.S. What happened to the post on this thread by Mody Ba!!?? He had the right idea....

Why shouldn't we help him? Who cares what he used to do? How is his situation really any different from that of most of the people who come over here to teach? Things didn't work out in his chosen career path back home, he's short on cash, and he needs to make some before he gets his life back on track. In spite of his complete lack of teaching qualifications, there seem to be plenty of job opportunities waiting for him in Korea. When he is finished, he will go back home and very likely never teach English again.

Sounds like 95% of the teachers I know in Korea, how about you?

Oh, here's one difference: Mr. Voyeur is also very polite when he posts on this board.
Voyeur

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Son Deureo.

There are many other reasons why I am going overseas - or at least aspects of the adventure which I am anticipating with serious relish. And that includes the bad as well as the good.

But being so short on time here this post has focused on the bottom bottom line - things of most immediate concern. The truth is that I am not sure that I will ever come back. I could easily see myself entering the ESL world, upgrading my qualifications, and never retruning home to settle. I'm like that. I love kids (just so long as they aren't mine Smile ) and am eager to see how I do spending time with them. I have other opportunities athome besides law but all still require me to get some financial breathing room. Korea is the right fit. But let there be no question, in the end I fully admit to having been a so-called "master of the universe" and to have been replete with hubris and a negiligent disregard for common sense. I blew money like it was nothing, did not diversify my short-term holdings, got no qualifications besides those approprioate to being a stock broker, and then did the Osterich as the industry went down the toilet hoping that miraculously I would be spared. I am going "oh, Korea save me please" in a way. I fully own up to that. I know that I have zero qualifications to teach and that I am essentially exploiting a loophole in the world education system to my advantage. I do hope however to take a very proofessional and business-like attitude to whatever tasks I should engage in overseas. While I may not turn out to be a true teacher, I do hope to not be one of those who give those who find ESL teaching to be a true professional calling a bad name and who make their life that much more difficult by their cavalier and disrespectful attitudes.
Mosley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I can assure all & sundry that Mody Ba is indeed a different person. Don't mind the comparison one bit though: his posts are always right on. In any case I'm looking forward to going back to Canada this summer. Think I'll hang out on Bay Street with my Korean savings in my pocket. Everytime a suit walks by, I'll slip him a few bucks. Wouldn't want him ending up destitute & teaching ESL in Korea. It's "all about lending each other a hand, right?"
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Mosley has a case of corporate envy that maybe he's not as ambitious, well-educated or mature enough to cut it back home as a "suit". He obviously doesn't approve of helping people freely, let alone that we should "fall all over ourselves" to help a fellow countryman! How un-Canadian of you. Enjoy your summer back home, you'll run out of money soon enough and have to come back here to support yourself and develop that winner attitude some more. Guess only having that as my destiny would make me kinda cranky too.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What gives with all the harsh, snide and unnecessary comments I've seen on the board recently, especially on newbie threads? Have a think about what you're writing here and who is it benefitting... the person asking the question or yourself? Why kick a newbie? Does it make you feel better? Help you reclaim that "I'm a hotshot & everyone else is a loser" feeling? Rolling Eyes
Mosley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Weinies.... Reply with quote

Everybody on this thread is all over me(a"prole", if you like), and all a-ga-ga over this yuppie who, by his own admission, has been called(in an accusatative fashion) a ' "master of the universe" ' in his halcyon days. And where does anybody get off saying that I don't support newbies? I've supported dozens of them! I just won't support THIS one(the OP). So, I'm supposed to feel guilty about not helping a conceited("I'm good looking") yuppie who wants to become a ... LAWYER!!!??? Well, now, ain't I be da snob?!For the "poster"( I self-edited there) who called me "un-Canadian": please outline YOUR history of service in the Can. Forces, UN peacekeeping, etc. We'll compare....
waterbaby

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosely, I was just making a comment about the board in general. Looks like you took it very personally.

If you choose not to support this particular poster, why not refrain from posting anything at all if it's not supportive? Would certainly make for a nicer atmosphere around here.
Voyeur

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are all players in the game playing the hand that we were dealt the best way that we can. I had a good hand, blew it, and am trying to get it back. Everyone else has their own story. I never said "I am good looking" without qualification and it was merely my best attempt to be objective to deal with a certain area of getting hired. Hell, maybe I am totally wrong. Maybe I'm bad looking. No one can ever be fully objective - but I did my best to make a self-assessment when I thought one was required and I got some practical advice based on that. I don't see why this all needs to be so serious. Even in my so-called halcyon days I never thought I was better than anyone - just luckier with a better cash flow. I know that luck has a huge part to play and try not to take myself too seriously.
Mosley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Voyeur.... Reply with quote

If you would've used the same tone in your OP I probably wouldn't have joined this thread. You almost sound like a reasonable chap. As for my reluctance to extend a helping hand to a lawyer(or one who aspires to be one), well, that's something I can't and won't apologize for. But anyway, there are plenty of posters here to offer you advice, so you don't need mine anyway. What can I say? Come over- I'm sure you won't be the worst waygook teacher in Korea : there's plenty of competition for that dubious distinction. Good luck. "I'd rather have a sister in a brothel than a brother in law school."-a PPCLI sergeant, c.1978
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Voyeur.... Reply with quote

Mosley wrote:
Come over- I'm sure you won't be the worst waygook teacher in Korea : there's plenty of competition for that dubious distinction.

'nuff said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: