Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accomodation can be bad ~ can be terrible!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Accomodation can be bad ~ can be terrible! Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I worked for EPIK and got put in truly an abomination of a hole they called an apartment - they paid 30 million in key money - I didn't complain - just put up with it - and watched the cockroaches multiply every night in my cupboards - the next year I refused to live there and they upgraded me to 50 million key money and two windows,, but it was a palace compared to the previous hole..
but I see now efl-law.com have started a page relating to bad accommodation - and some poor blighter has submitted his photos - compared to my past 'hole' the photos are almost luxury -I wish I had some photos now - but I often wondered if any other teacher(s) apart from me back then also had apartments that were dog houses? If the photos flourish maybe something will finally happen? -
http://efl-law.com/contracts_accomodation_warnings.html
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: EPIK's Crap Accommodation Reply with quote

JamesH.,are you sure they used that 30 mil won in key money for your housing...or perchance did they stick that 30 mill in the bank to draw interest and stick you in some hole?
Of course,you should REFUSE (at once!) if the place is a hole.Don't fall for any of their"Oh,this is just temporary" crap.They even tried to stick me in a hole,promising they were"planning to BUILD( Laughing Laughing ) me a new apartment! Oh,sure! Laughing
You have to watch out for yourself in this business,and that surely includes dealing with EPIK and their BS. Rolling Eyes
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Mody-ba is right Reply with quote

Take heed to Mody-ba's warning. You can become a forgotten entity. Also-it can give people the impression that the problem is solved once your pillow hits the bed. (Out of sight- Out of mind).

Anyway- I wonder how many people have had to walk outside of their apartment- down a staircase in the pouring rain- to latch onto a door handle that had a quarter of an inch of dry pssssssss on it where grandpa would empty his urnnnnnn pot- located in a room so small that you had to squeeze your legs together- finally resulting into using a jar rather than fighting the rain. Or having a semi-clear window on an outside shower room/building glaring at the neighbors across the street. Or having a shower/toilet out on an open balcony with blowing winter winds slightly blocked by a blue canopy. How about a kitchen that was 4 ft X 3 ft. with a 4.2 ft. door entry way into it from the bedroom. (not EPIK- by the way)

Not pleasant experiences when you are expected to put on a suit and pretend the sky is blue.
kevinst

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Accomodation can be bad ~ can be terrible! Reply with quote

jamesH wrote:
http://efl-law.com/contracts_accomodation_warnings.html

Here is the new clause that is suggested for the contract about housing:

8] Where this contract is agreed to outside of Korea, and the employee has NOT seen the accommodation, nor has it been certified as acceptable for living by an agent of the employee, this contract is absolutely conditional upon acceptance on sight of the accommodation by the employee. Where the employee declines the accommodation upon sight, the employer must house the employee in hotel accommodation at the employer's cost until suitable accommodation is agreed.

Last edited by kevinst on Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
jamesH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: cell -v- luxury Reply with quote

To Moody; yes, I wondered about that, as it was rumored that some supervisors were putting the money into their own accounts -
but yesterday I visited an Epik who lives in a so called studio - it looked like what I once had, (except no cockroaches and new wall-paper) a sweat box by any other name: then we visited a hagwon friend in his 33 pyung apartment with flow through air, well lit, and it made me wonder just what Epik is doing these days - the face of the government of Korea and they put teachers who have never worked before - fresh from uni - who are too scared to rock the boat) into these studio apartments: I truly hope someone who is still with the program can get to the August orientation and warn the new intake of fresh university lads about what could be in store.
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Warning the Lads and Lassies Reply with quote

Hi,JamesH
As far as warning the new lads and lassies coming into EPIK orientation in August,the word is out, I think.Whether they will listen or not is another question.Very sadly,JamesH,some will allow themselves to be mistreated,making rationalizations along the way("It is a different culture",'"when in Rome do as the Romans do Laughing ,etc.ad nauseam).
As for those studio sweatboxes and your question as to why a government agency would try to pull this kind of bull...in my opinion...it is pure CHEAPNESS.They want a program,but they are too%$#@#$% CHEAP to really pay for what is needed.
I think it is interesting to note however,that not all of the newbies are all that naive.One of the things that surprised me the most at the last orientation I went to....was how fast some of them caught on.Of course, you could say it was not really that difficult to figure out what was really happening.
adventureman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by adventureman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Happy Orientation, Adman Reply with quote

I might even drop by orientation and see how all of you are doing.However,I will NOT use their showers!! Laughing Rolling Eyes
Seriously,Adman,I am glad you are forewarned about the housing.But be careful,anyway...in case they try to pull a slickie on you. A possible scenario:
After orientation, a teacher at your future school or other official will transport you,your bags and baggage to your POE,wherever that might be.Hopefully, you will get decent housing.If not,what will you do?I mean,there you are, in a strange place,not speaking any Korean,with all of your bag and baggage....and they say something like"Well,just stay here for a night or two...until we can get something better for you" Rolling Eyes
It is something to think about. Best of luck.Maybe you will get good living arrangements.Some people do.Mody
Real Reality

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: h2o plus special Reply with quote

I live in housing provided by my university. The walls are cracked. The pipes leak.

It seems that a number of buildings in Korea have cracked walls.

Is this a bonus: The water comes in a variety of colors (cream, red, orange, brown). Of course, it is sometimes clear.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a rationale behind 'temporary' accommodation. In districts that didnt have an epik teacher the previous semester (a fair many) there is no pre-established housing. The district will learn if someone is coming only a few days before they arrive, & even then there are last minute drop-outs from orientation. The district office doesnt want to enter into an expensive lease & get burnt.

It can take time & effort (which some officials will begrudge) to find a nice apartment, but polite insistence should result in a move away from an unsatisfactory 'temporary' situation. If you go ballistic on first seeing your place, you will lose a lot of future goodwill. Diplomacy rules. If truly a hellhole, calmly shake your head no & say sorry this is unacceptable. If youve made a pleasant impression otherwise new arrangements can be made.

Keep your expectations reasonable. Your apartment will likely be smaller than whatever youre coming from & just about every place will have its share of disadvantages. Bear in mind also that it might well be dirty. Its customary in Korea to leave an apartment 'as is' when moving out -- unswept, unscrubbed, maybe even trash lying around. Look at the place in terms of its potential once youve put in a bit of cleaning. The upside of this is you dont have to do much when you move on!

Last point. It might improve your chances of a nice place if when you first meet your provincial supervisor at orientation & theyre divvying up the assignments if you quietly suggest that housing is a big priority to you. They know whats what around their province (they do an annual tour of the accommodations) & ultimately most of these guys desire a crew of happy campers.

adventureman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by adventureman on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
jamesH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was mentioned in passing to me that the budget for each teacher is around 50 million won these days. This was by one of the Epik gurus who remains a good freind from days gone past - but what can you get with money these days? Not much I think> it really needs to reviewed by Epik - skimping on accomodation is bound to cause unhappiness - and given that it is a government program one would hope the government could afford to put foreign tecahers in semi decent places..
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Nice Guys Finish Last,....Especially When Dealing with EPIK Reply with quote

I cannot agree with Schwa's rationale.Nice guys finish last.I do not suggest going "ballistic"...but if you do not like the temporary dump,go to the local hotel or yokwan and have them send the bill to the school.I can tell you they will find acceptable housing for you pretty damned fast if they are paying a hotel bill. How do I know?I have done it.
Also,maybe in some cases they do not know the EPIK is coming.In some cases they know ahead of time,but for reasons of their own use various excuses(it usually boils down to $$$$$,and if they think you are naive enough and stupid enough to accept a dump,they will foist one off on you, nine times out of ten).They do not have a stellar rep,but after all that has been posted on this board, I do not think it is necessary to go into their history again. Rolling Eyes
Bottom line;Cover your own a--. EPIK will not cover it.Your "colleagues" will not cover it.
And do not let them foist all that cultural hooey off on you as an excuse.Sure it is a nice country. However,this does not prevent them from being as manipulative as hell especially where money is involved.These are not stupid,naive people that you are dealing with...but they can be extremely manipulative.
Mosley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Mody Ba.... Reply with quote

....what he said:yep.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. The Mo-Mo twins ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: