Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does a girl wear??
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: What does a girl wear?? Reply with quote

I'm sure this has come up a million times before, but what's acceptable attire for a girl outside of the workplace? Not going out in the evening or anything, but just wandering around and doing the tourist thing, or going shopping, or just going to a bar for a few beers on a Sunday afternoon or whatever.

I'm from England, so you can probably guess that I'm not used to the heat and I'm a bit concerned that I'm gonna melt in the heat in SK.

I take it I couldn't wear shorts and a bikini top and a vest then? Wink
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how many times you are comfortable being asked if you are Russian/Available/How much you charge etc.,

But wear whatever you feel comfortable with. If you have large breasts, then it doesn't really matter how revealing your top is, you're still going to be ogled. Korean woman are very conservative dressers. If they wear a singlet, their is another singlet underneath.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tee and some reasonably lengthed shorts is acceptable.
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wearing shorts and T-shirts for most of my life. Just when I wanted to finally stop dressing like a boy and be a bit sexy too!

Oh well...

As for having big knockers, it would depend on what Koreans think of as being 'big'. By Western standards they ain't huge, but they ain't tiny either. So tight lycra tops are out then? Wink
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got it flaunt it Cool Don't stress bout it. I wear what I want. I get a few odd looks from Ajummas, and the men stare. But to be completely honest, they would stare at me even if I was wearing a Burqua. Or maybe because I was wearing a Burqua.... You'll soon find out what you can get away with wearing, and what you can't. Trial and error is the best way.
Homer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest wearing clothes.
I find they work best for me and for most people who choose to wear them.
You could go without but that might prove to be impractical.
The again you could just wear palm tree leaves, you would have to import them or go to cheju Do but that might end up being quite cool and comfy in the summer heat.
Boday paint? Too much work I think.
So in the end your bck to clothes. You can find clothes in many stores. They come in various sizes and styles...good luck to you

Cheers
Corporal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was funny homer! Laughing

I usually have different opinions from you but hey at least you are a witty guy, too bad the same can't be said about some of the others here.

I would definitely buy you a beer sometime.
Homer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why thank you Corporal,

Its nice to see we can disagree but laugh togheter...ther eis hope for da world yet.... Wink
Ya take good care now ya hear
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear what the Korean girls wear.. I've never seen them a bikini-top.. but usually very tight jeans or pants.. or miniskirts coupled with high heels.. always high heels.. or sometimes shorts and high heels..

Or wear what the other western girls wear.. sneakers, t-shirt and the plainest pair of pants you can find.. although some wear tight shirts (as do koreans), and look fine..

Or something imbetween..

But I've never seen anyone in Korea ever wear a bikini-top and that includes at the beach.. unfortunately *sigh*
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You'll soon find out what you can get away with wearing, and what you can't. Trial and error is the best way

I'd just like to have an idea, as I'm trying to pack as little as possible and want to make sure I pack more or less the right stuff!

O.K that's fine! I'll stick to wearing jeans, mid length or long skirts and tight tops that don't show any cleavage.

Tiger Beer: What??? I can't run around in a bikini on the beach? Shocked What the hell are you meant to wear on the beach? (I read someplace that Koreans tend to avoid the beach as they aren't sun worshippers like us Westerners) But surely Western women wear bikinis on the beach? Will I get arrested or something if I do? Confused

Shorts and high heels???

Merrilee: I hope you apppreciate all this research I'm doing, and I also hope that you're packing accordingly. Very Happy
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear a wedding dress. All the Korean girls do. At least, all the ones I talk to...........
merrilee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Flower- when you say 'singlet' do you mean camisole?

Thanks, Emma Clare. Much appreciated. Very Happy
GirlFromMars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no she means what the british call a vest and americans call a tank top
merrilee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. Thanks GirlFromMars. Even more coverage than I thought.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma Clare wrote:
Tiger Beer: What??? I can't run around in a bikini on the beach? Shocked What the hell are you meant to wear on the beach? (I read someplace that Koreans tend to avoid the beach as they aren't sun worshippers like us Westerners) But surely Western women wear bikinis on the beach? Will I get arrested or something if I do? Confused

Shorts and high heels???

Yes, shorts with high heels is very common here.. as is jeans with high heels.. and they look good!!! very good!

Bikinis at the beach.. sometimes I see it.. but generally the girls want to look as light as possible.. dark skin means you do alot of outdoor labor, etc.. so everyone wants light skin.. it means you work indoors, etc.. its kind of old-school thought.. but still applies for whatever reason..

Also, Korean girls don't look very good in bikini tops.. they look better in a tight shirt.. so they tend to do that.. or at a beach, they might have a loose shirt.. and they'll swim with it on too.. but this of course looks quite goofy..

Anyhow, some girls i think do actually wear bikini tops.. in fact I know they do, because my ex-girlfriend who was korean in Busan would wear them.. so, no you won't get arrested.. but you'll be of the minority on the beach.. maybe one of a very few..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: