Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recruiters based in the UK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed1980

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:15 pm    Post subject: recruiters based in the UK Reply with quote

anybody know any good recruiters based in the UK ?

what kind of cut do these people usually take - is it an idea to contact schools directly? - is this possible?

cheers in advance !!!
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HuntESL are the best I've come across so far. www.huntesl.com. Am sure I told you that already!

Adam Hunt has done the whole ESL thing himself and so have all of his 'team'. He's honest and upfront, and doesn't try and skirt around the less savioury aspects of living in SK like some do. He always phoned me in person if I had a query too.

Why not just fly out there and then get a job. Suss the place out for yourself firsthand! You'll get a better pay deal if you avoid recruiters too.

I'm doing things on my own now. You can fly to SK for �350 (bargain!!!) with KLM, from London City airport (not too far from Brentwood!) via Amsterdam. I'm leaving in 4 weeks time. It's about �100 or so more expensive to fly out in September though.

I think UK recruiters take about �1000.
ed1980

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: cheers Reply with quote

yeah - you have suggested them before.... you on comission?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma Clare wrote:
I think UK recruiters take about �1000.

Do they take that �1000 from you, teacher in waiting??? I don't understand why anyone would want to pay a recruiter to find them a job in Korea. Recruiters work on a comission here in Korea - they are paid by the schools where they place the teachers. And now these guys are taking a cut from the teachers as well?

I say run a mile from them.

BTW - got a "page not found" error message from the website provided by Emma Clare. Not sure if the wrong URL was posted or if they've got their �1000 and have done a minight runner...
ed1980

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats your advice then waterbaby??

i thought a grand was a bit steep

if i go cold turkey - i assume i wil just need a visiting visa???!?!??
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with an English (I'm presuming?) passport, I think you qualify for a 90 day landing tourist visa. That's more than ample enough to shop around for a job. You'd have to leave the country again to get your E2 visa - what's commonly known as a "visa run". People more often than not head to Japan for this. Pretty painless procedure, actually.

If you have the cash upfront to pay for your airfare, support yourself here in Korea for about 2 months (give yourself a month to six weeks to land a job and start your job, another month until you have your first pay... I'd recommend that you go for that option. Accepting a job when you haven't met the employer in person or seen your workplace, apartment etc is quite a frightening prosepect.

Here's a link to a thread about the cost of living in Korea

living expenses... realistically!!
Start Up Costs
and...
How much money did you bring with you?
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They certainly take a fair whack. First the Korean recruiter takes a cut, and then their 'counterpart' in the UK takes a cut. Sheesh!

Like I said, there's no way I'm using a recruiter. I'm a runnin....
Yup, it's 90 days you can get if you have an English passport.

Definitely the right address. Just checked it! Am not on commission, was just impressed by these guys, even if I am going it alone now.
bepositive

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[I think UK recruiters take about �1000]

Lucky them!!

I found my job in Gwangju with HuntESL and they were a great help every step of the way. They took care of everything for me, including getting my visa stamped and booking my flight. I dealt with Leigh and she too was honest and upfront about what I should expect and personally I felt more comfortable knowing everything was sorted out before I arrived.

I don't know how much UK recruiters earn from the schools but I certainly didn't get charged a fee and my salary is the same as everyone elses in the school.

Good luck! Smile
eamo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this question keeps coming up but I can't remember the answer!!

Can people coming to Korea on a 90 day holiday visa arrive with a one-way ticket?
Squaffy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunt ESL are the only ones with respect. Leigh Beckford (Bristol) is sound. They are the one and only UK based recruiters who know the score.

Tell them what you want and they will find it for you.
bepositive

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eamo

If you are arriving on a tourist visa you MUST have a return ticket. I know this because a friend of a friend arrived without one and wasn't allowed in the country. I think she might have let it slip that she was coming to look for work which probably didn't help!
eamo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bepositive. Thanks
cbinseoul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Yup, it's 90 days you can get if you have an English passport.
Quote:

Well, with an English (I'm presuming?) passport, I think you qualify for a 90 day landing tourist visa
Quote:

Sorry to tell you, but there's no such thing as an 'English' passport.

European Community, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, is what it is.
mb2086

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why Huntesl are regarded so highly. I have a BSc and a TESOL validated certifiicate and they didn't even bother replying to my application. Why? Because I was over 35! Now there's ageism if ever I saw it. Not only that but they freely admit it! There's nothing like a bit of good old fashioned British support to get you going in the world of TESL!!!!!
Fifyfofum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Hunt ESL and am glad that I did.

I work between 13 and 24.5 hrs per week, get 20 days holiday plus public holidays (37days) and am paid 2m - despite - not having any teaching experience or qualifications.

The only money I paid to them was about 100 pounds for the visa processing (courier etc.). This is much cheaper than paying your own airfare over AND having to live off your savings until you find a job.

That said, as with any recruiter, you have to be firm on what you want. I turned down two jobs in places before taking this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: