Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For those staying in shape...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pootie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:37 am    Post subject: For those staying in shape... Reply with quote

Is white rice something that makes you fat? I eat about 2 servings a day like everyone else in Korea (it's unavoidable) and do a crap load of crunches at the gym, but it's never been this hard to get a six pack in my life, even when I was downin' six-packs back at school, it wasn't impossible. Trying to pinpoint my diet...any help?
Marathe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its white rice.

any white carb is to be avoided.

easy.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm staying in shape, ROUND.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eat rice everyday and have lost 15kg in 6 months. All Koreans eat rice every day and there are plenty of fit Koreans. I think we need to drink more water.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mongrel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: staying in shape Reply with quote

Are you doing any aerobic exercise? Crunches are good, but you have to be burning fat/calories too. 2 servings of rice a day is ok, not at once though. Best way to burn some calories is to get on a tredmill, bike, or what ever, and do about 30 mins, but mix it up, i.e. go hard for 5 mins, then at a comfortable pace for 5mins. You have get out of the comfort zone. Ignore the Koreans on the bikes reading newspapers, they'll still be fat 10 years from now. Do a general weight programme for about 30 mins as well. Not bodybuilding, 3 sets, 10-12 reps. Don't eat within an hour before going to the gym, or you could puke, and you HAVE to eat something (banana smoothie)within an hour afterwards, recovery is really important. Drink heaps of water, you should never be thirsty. You should be drinking water during the workout too.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: staying in shape Reply with quote

mongrel wrote:
Not bodybuilding, 3 sets, 10-12 reps.

Not bodybuilding? What is the difference between bodybuilding and a general weight program? Is that just toning? I am confused. Is this a misprint? Wouldn't more muscles help us burn more calories?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
raytownloc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two servings of rice is just two servings of carbs. Thats not going to make you pack on a lot of extra fat unless you wolf down a big bowl of rice right before dinner. Personally, I eat pasta, bread, rice, and cereal, but I wont eat it for dinner or after dinner.

The best way I know of burning fat is to wake up and go for a jog (or bike ride, or swim) before you eat anything. This burns fat because you have no other calories to burn. For me this works better than crunches...
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born with a sixpack. I can't get rid of it no matter what I do. Its got nothing to do with diet; its genetic. I eat ice cream, rice, pizza's etc like anyone else but can never gain any weight- people are more inclined to say I'm too thin than anything else.
My family is the same. Its genetic.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel really sorry for you.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carbs are easily converted to fat......and they are rich in Calories. It's a good idea to mix your carbs with some multi-fibres.

Basically you should look at the number of calories consumed vs. the number of calories burned.....don't worry as much about whether it's from fat or carbs, etc. If you burn more than you consume you will lose weight....
raytownloc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you are genetically gifted like Rapier...

you piece of crap Wink
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylehawkins2000 wrote:
carbs are easily converted to fat......and they are rich in Calories. It's a good idea to mix your carbs with some multi-fibres.

Basically you should look at the number of calories consumed vs. the number of calories burned.....don't worry as much about whether it's from fat or carbs, etc. If you burn more than you consume you will lose weight....

Koreans never eat rice alone. They always have side dishes with it. I was a actually told by a Korean that Koreans never eat rice alone. Maybe the kimchi helps in the digestion. Anyway, I eat rice and still lose weight, so it is correct that the total number of calories is important. I think it is more important to stop the simple sugars (cola).
Wombat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pootie ~

You didn't tell us what you feel like after eating those helpings of rice. Do you tend to feel even hungrier after eating carbohydrates? Some people experience a rush of hunger when they eat things like rice, or breads or some fruits because the body releases insulin into the bloodstream during carbohydrate digestion. It can make you insatiable, and cause you to eat heaps more than you planned. Even if you don't immediately reach for more carbs, simply feeling like this is a sign that your body doesn't handle simple carbohydrates too well.

I am like this - whenever I eat breads I really start to crave more. So I try to limit my intake of baked goods, potatoes, grains and the like. I drink upwards of 4 litres of water a day, take vitamins, refrain from animal products of all sorts, incorporate Zen principles into each meal, pray to the appropriate Hindu gods for healthy digestion, and try not to eat things with chemicals, dyes or additives in them. Consquently, I am miserable 90% of the time, but boy, do I look good. Smile

The moral: eat what makes you happy within reason.

Wombat

PS - Sorry if this post makes no sense; someone put a grain of white sugar into my tea this morning and I'm bouncing off the walls in hallucinogenic fervour. Very Happy
mongrel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: staying in shape Reply with quote

I meant not bodybuilding in the Arnie sense of the word. I'm no expert, but a few sets of around 10-12 would increase muscle size a bit. And yes you're right, the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn just sitting there. 8-10 reps are good for gaining a bit more size. The other suggestion of running before breakfast is a good one too, but there are a lot people that wouldn't want to do that. Let's not get too pedantic about it, as I don't think there are any budding Olympic athletes amongst the teachers over here.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: staying in shape Reply with quote

There us a forum you might find more useful than listening to the varied opinions of waykuk chancers like us! A body building forum frequented by hundreds of hardcore steriod junkies, fitness freaks, 4-hour-a-day men. Check out http://www.abcbodybuilding.com They got new excercises with graphics specific for your chosen muscle group, diets, links, a forum all kinds. Check it out. Personally I'd be interested to know what else you are eating because I'm sure it aint the rice ~ unless its fried.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: