Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What teaching materials to bring as a newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael25S

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: What teaching materials to bring as a newbie Reply with quote

Hi, my name is mike and I am going to be teaching in Korea very soon. Are there any games or exercises or books that anyone might suggest I bring with me from ESL stores here? According to the school they have a curriculum for me to follow but from reading posts from others that may or may nor be enough depending on the school.

Just as a note, my contract states I will be teaching elementary and secondary students. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.
bap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your school should supply you with resources so don't go out and spend a fortune.
i brought some stickers with words like "great, good job, super" on them, and some canada pencils. i think little rewards for your students are nice. anyone would get excited when they recieve something exotic that they couldn't regularily get - even if it's something small.
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S. Korea has an abondant supply of English books. Unless you are an experienced ESL teacher and know exactly what you are going to be teaching, take bap's advice, don't spend anything on stuff, and let your school comb you to what they would like you to teach.
viva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My students absolutely love to see picture from home. My family, my friends, my house, any trip I've taken or pictures of famous buildings from home, etc. They are so curious about my life back in Canada and the travelling that I've done. I've found it nice to have a small photo album to show them.

I'd also recommed bringing English magazines. Sports Illustrated, Teen Magazine, or Teen Bop Magazine, etc. Anything with pictures of atheletes like Micheal Jordan, and pictures of actors and singers (ie: Brittany Spears, etc.) I teach middle school through to highschool and all the kids really like to do "Magazine Scavenger Hunts" I split them into small groups and give them a list of objects. They must find a picture of the object in the magazine. It takes a lot of class time and they have fun with it.

I would also recommed bringing a bell or a buzzer. The buzzer from the game "Taboo" is great. You can use it during trivia games when students have to "buzz in" with their answer. You can also use it to signal "time's up" if you are doing some sort of spelling race with them. I use mine for a million and one things, it's really come in handy.

Also, bring encouraging stickers, and pencils like the last poster recommended. But, as it was mentioned above, don't go dropping alot of coin on teaching materials. They should be provided for you.

Hope this helps.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bring anything.

Better stuff can be found here at better prices, especially if you are in Seoul. Even old english magazines can be found. Check out Dongdaemoon market.....loads of places with tons of bodybuilding mags, National Geographic, etc.
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

viva wrote:
My students absolutely love to see picture from home. My family, my friends, my house, any trip I've taken or pictures of famous buildings from home, etc. They are so curious about my life back in Canada and the travelling that I've done. I've found it nice to have a small photo album to show them.

This is actually a really good idea. Many students are facinated about your own family and pictures of your home town.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I would bring if I was repacking my luggage in Auckland would be some trinkets from home to give out. I gave out some cheap pens and the kids thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread.

So stickers, pens, candy etc. are all good. Of course you could just buy it here and say it was from your home country but you might just get caught out.

You can buy games here as well

CLG
matthews_world

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought a laptop with me.

Super fast and cheap LAN internet service is available. No dial-up in Korea.

Helps me keep in touch with family and I do all my work and planning on it. Just take a disk to class and print it off.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
paul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you should consider from the word go is, the school should supply everything for their own curriculum. Do not spend a dime of your own money for that. You already have to put in your own time doing prep, so why spend your own money on teachng material?

When I was teaching at a children's hogwan, I made suggestions on material and they reimbursed me for everything I bought. And it was added to the curriculum for all teachers.

But if you are going to buy extra teaching material (which everyone does anyway), it's a very good idea to buy supplements here because some of it is geared especially for Koreans, and it's inexpensive and abundunt.

Plus, you don't really know what you need until you're actually in the classroom.
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in a well-supplied hakwon but a new teacher showed up with a variety of Dr Seuss books which I borrowed quite regularly & the kids were enamored. Good stuff. Are they available to buy in Seoul? Havent seen them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: