Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How can I get my Degree Back from the school?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBravo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: How can I get my Degree Back from the school? Reply with quote

I was just wondering how I can get my degree back from the school when I finish teaching in Korea. The last time I was there, I didn't get it back. I have heard that you can get it stamped or something at the Korean Embassy. How does that work? Any information would be appreciated. Regards,

Johnny Bravo
Squaffy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems I am the one to tolerate such a daft question - don't EVER hand over the original degree certificate. Get some color copies made, get the Embassy to stamp them (notarisation) and use them. Simple. Do it and dont screw up. Be wise my friend.
JohnnyBravo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, sorry its such a daft question, however, the last school I worked with told me that they HAD to have the original. I didn't know. I know better now. So, how do I get the degree notarized? Just bring it to the Korean Embassy? Thanks in advance for your help with these daft questions.

Johnny
GirlFromMars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny, call the embassy to find out their procedure, as it can vary in different countries. In my case, I didn't need to send them my original degree, just a certified copy and they notarised it. It's painless.
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would I get my degree copied/certified while already in Korea? Now I'm feeling a little nervous with only the original.
JohnnyBravo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mars Girl

So, all I have to do is call the Embassy. Then all I'll have to do is send them a scanned copy of my degree and they will notarize it for me?

Thanks again
GirlFromMars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no doofus. you call the embassy and they will tell you what to do.
justagirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so not everyone is an expert on what to do with their diploma...I for one, will not call you names, but try to help.

If you are not in Korea: find a public notary and take your original diploma plus your color copy and have them notorize the copy for you.

If you are in Korea: I believe either the embassy or Immigration has to notorize the copy of the diploma. Someone else with more knowledge, feel free to help out here. Maybe the EFL law site can help.

Either way, do bring your original diploma to Korea. It's just a good thing to have with you for this line of work.

By the way, Johnny Bravo, I'm not sure if a faxed copy would get notorized. I believe they'd have to see the original along with the copy. In any case, if you are not in Korea, you simply need to have a public notary do the notarizing. If you have given your original to your place of employment, tell them you have to have it back within a month. It is yours--don't let them keep it. [/url]
GirlFromMars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Okay, so not everyone is an expert on what to do with their diploma...I for one, will not call you names, but try to help.

I was trying to help! read the posts! All I said (twice now) is that he needs to call his embassy. This is because the procedure varies from country to country. In my case I only sent the embassy a certified copy of my degree. If Johnny is close enough to an embassy to go in with his original, then they will advise him to do that.

Any name calling is because I don't like having to repeat myself and also because the time it takes to post here is the same time it would take to call the embassy. It was meant in a jesting tone so don't take the moral high ground.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: