Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on getting married to a non-Korean foreigner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Interested

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: Advice on getting married to a non-Korean foreigner Reply with quote

I have a friend who is thinking of getting married. She's marrying a non-Korean-non-Brit-non-Australian. She's thinking of getting married here in Korea. How does she go about it. She holds 2 passports, British and Australian. Which would be better to marry on? Any general advice?
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting question. I met a couple who got married in Korea. She was Canadian, He was American. They had to go to both embassies, the dong office, & the gu office.

Other than that I don't know much. Maybe someone else can help you out.

KK
Big_Bird

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: British Embassy Reply with quote

As I understand it, the British embassy doesn't care if you marry here while on your British passport or on your other passport. What matters in that you show them proof of your British citizenship and the appropriate documents when you to give notification of your marriage.

British Embassy Website: www.britishembassy.or.kr

I don't know if this is the same for the Australian Embassy.

Also, I don't know if the nationality you give to your spouse's embassy, when you notify them, will affect you in anyway in the future.
blah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Canadian married to a Filipina. When I married my wife in the Philippines, my embassy basically said to just follow the instructions given by the appropriate authorities in the country where you wed. Once you can show a marriage certificate, it will be legal in your home country. If they require you to validate any of your vital statistics through your embassy, than do it. If not, then don't. Most countries will recognize a marriage performed in a foreign country, so long as the wedding would have been legal in the country of your passport. Having more than one passport should be a non-issue. Just pick the one that makes the process more convenient.

That's the easy part. It gets to be a hassle when it comes time to bringing the spouse back to your home country. Advise your friend to start checking into these details ASAP (if this is the plan).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: