Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

skin problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butterfly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you mean by skin, you mean your face? If so, I have found the solution in soap-less soaps, and clinique skincare products. You can buy your way out of it. Lots of vitamin C too.
seoulmon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for all your advice. One of you asked what kind of skin problem:acne.

Acne hunh?

So your question is, what do I do about super bad acne?
Vietman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Korean food can cause acne Reply with quote

I too have and still do experience bad acne here in Korea. One major difference between here and anywhere else I've lived is iodine...Koreans like salty foods and seaweed. Both are infamous for iodine. Iodine is proven to make acne conditions worse.

Avoid the green stuff.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get any doctor to write you a script for tetracycline? I HATE taking antibiotics long-term, but this will take care of the acne situation. Second choice woudl be doxyclyine. It's easier to take, but in my experience does not work as well.
rainyqueen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been here five years, and have had worse skin here than anywhere in the world. Is it acne that I had? Well, it looks like acne - but its more rash like. And the dermitologist said that it was from it was either from the pollution (the biggest cause here, they mentioned) and possibly the water.

My skin is very nice otherwise, so this was a big downer, considering I have intentions to stay a while. I also tried everything. Antibiotics made it worse. I stay away from all bodyshop products, they also make it worse. I used Tea Tree Oil, which did a better job (not the fake crap, but the real stuff).

Finally, I had a mother recommend 'Dermalogique' medicated clearing gel. You have to order it online, and its about 40,000 for a tiny little bottle, but it works amazingly and lasts a long time. My skin woes are fixed!!! I still break out, but it goes away alot quicker!!!
serendipity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An explanation and advice for people with bad skin problems:

The skin is a reflection of your overall state of health. Most problems come from unclean bowels. When your body has a problem digesting certain foods, it creates various acids in an attempt to break down foods that it could not otherwise break down. When these acids enter your digestive track they get absorbed into your system and within a day or two your body will try to flush those acids and toxins out through your skin. That is why sweating always seems to make an existing skin problem worse. If you can fast for a day, drinking only water, and maybe some fruit juice, your skin should show noticeable improvement at the end of that day. Moving to a new culture can cause skin problems because your body suddenly has to digest foods that it is not used to. Also, stress can cause digestive problems that can lead to the same issues. Lack of exercise can cause the same digestive issues. Also not getting enough sleep, or not enough good sleep, can cause skin problems.

Vitamin C and B complex will help. Eating less will help. Drinking more, but not excessive amounts, of fluids will help. Alcohol is generally bad unless it is in moderation and can help you get better sleep, it can actually help some skin problems, but should generally be avoided. Caffeine can help in small amounts because it can help flush the digestive track, but it is very bad on a daily basis. Nicotine is one of the worst things you can do to your skin. Pollution is not good either. Clean water and oxygen are both necessary to balance the acids that the body creates. Humidity opens your pores allowing liquid wastes to flow freely through your skin. Eliminating stress will help. Try to eat fewer really spicy foods (they are full of acids). That's a hard one, especially for me because I live in Thailand right now and I love the food here.

I guess the most important thing to be aware of is that most skin problems are the symptoms of an internal problem, but the rashes, blemishes, and sores are often not actually the cause of the problem. For my skin problems, I have simply stopped trying the scores of tubes of goop that doctors tell me to dress my skin with. None of them have ever worked for me. Unless there is an infection, or some other specific skin condition, most skin treatment should only involve keeping it clean and dry. Soaps that remove protective oils from the skin are not good either.

I have had chronic exzema my whole life and it is a miserable condition to have. At times my body has been more than half covered with horrible rashes and I have felt almost paralyzed from it. All of the information I wrote here is based on my own research. I'm not in the health profession, so take it simply as casual advice.
kat2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I developed excema (or it made itself known or got a lot worse, whatever) after a few months in Korea. It never went away, although it did get better with a round of anti-inflammatories, a cortizone shot, and some cortizone creme from the doctor. Had the same problem in Argentina and the doc gave me a strict diet. He told me to stay away from citrus fruits, strawberries, tomato or tomato products, nuts, and a few other things I can't remember. The excema has never completely cleared up, but I buy the "green laundry detergent" at E-mart now and it seems to help, as does living in a new building without ancient pipes and gross water.
chuknnjivn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have Koreans reacted to your eczema? Is it easily noticeable? How did the Argentinians react? How about the Thais? Has there ever been a situation where a school director was hesitant to hire you because of it?
kat2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean its not like I put it in my cover letter. It doesn't act up really bad all the time, but when it does, I do try to be sure to cover it as much as possible. It is the worst on my chest and stomach, so i can cover it alright. Occasionally, it creeps on to my neck and you can't do anything about covering that. But I have curly hair and blue eyes, so I already look crazy to koreans. The kids of course notice EVERY minute change in my appearance from day today, and that is annoying. I try not to let it bother me. I just be sure to keep a good supply of cortizone cream around and be very careful about anything that touches my skin (soaps, lotions, laundry deteregent, etc.)
Seeker of truth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Skin problem remedy Reply with quote

Another remedy to skin problems is applying emu oil. Do an internet search for emu oil. Amazon.com also sells it. Cool
iPeed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Regimen" at acne.org has worked for me. It sounds more complicated than it is. It boils down to mild soap and 2.5% benzoyl peroxide twice a day.
(I was skeptical because the site's author seems to be the only economical source of 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, but it still works)
ilovebdt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ksonnen wrote:
I mean its not like I put it in my cover letter. It doesn't act up really bad all the time, but when it does, I do try to be sure to cover it as much as possible. It is the worst on my chest and stomach, so i can cover it alright. Occasionally, it creeps on to my neck and you can't do anything about covering that. But I have curly hair and blue eyes, so I already look crazy to koreans. The kids of course notice EVERY minute change in my appearance from day today, and that is annoying. I try not to let it bother me. I just be sure to keep a good supply of cortizone cream around and be very careful about anything that touches my skin (soaps, lotions, laundry deteregent, etc.)

Do u need a prescription for cortizone cream?

Ilovebdt
calysar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that ever worked for me: Jason brand 32,000 IU Vitamin E oil, smeared right onto the skin nightly just before bed.

It heals up scars and just about anything in half the time, too. Amazing stuff.
Canadian Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calysar wrote:
One thing that ever worked for me: Jason brand 32,000 IU Vitamin E oil, smeared right onto the skin nightly just before bed.

It heals up scars and just about anything in half the time, too. Amazing stuff.

Can you find that in Korea? I used to put it on my hair...
calysar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very surprised if they carried it in local stores, but you can order it online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: