Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa run to Beijing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korea Newfie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Visa run to Beijing? Reply with quote

I have to do the visa run soon, but I'd like to add another country to my list, and I've always wanted to go to China.

Is it feasible to hit Beijing on one of those tours, and do the visa run at the same time? Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks,
KN
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible, but I doubt your company would pay for it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Korea Newfie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course not!

I'd pay the difference. I meant in terms of actually getting it done once I was there.
Mosley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that you have to get a VISA BEFORE you go to the Peoples' Republic!
BTM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A colleague did a visa run to Beijing. He described dealing with officialdom as a 'complete nightmare,' and he's one of the most patient people I've ever met.

That said, it is possible.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's uh, far more difficult than anywhere else in the area. And I'm just talking from a non-VISA-getting standpoint, too.
tomwaits

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Shanghai/ I was at the Korean consul there and its not too difficult to find. PM me for the phone number if you wish. Plane wont cost much more than Osaka and a good hotel is about 40 000 won. Also if you pay a bit extra you can get a visa for China in one day---above Kyobo...
ChinaBoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh, that's strange that people had problems.. I was in and out in 2 minutes, go back two days later and it's done

you have to get a tourist visa from the Chinese embassy before you go, though
russbeck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Hong Kong Anyone? Reply with quote

Just an idea, and although I've been to Hong Kong and China it wasn't for on a visa run. My intuition tells me Hong Kong would be accomodating and if you have time you can take the train to Guangzhou, I think it was about two hours away and the train ride was fabulous. You'd still need a visa to get into China though I believe.
rooster_2006

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Visa run to Beijing? Reply with quote

Korea Newfie wrote:
I have to do the visa run soon, but I'd like to add another country to my list, and I've always wanted to go to China.

Is it feasible to hit Beijing on one of those tours, and do the visa run at the same time? Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks,
KN
DO NOT RISK TRYING TO DO THIS IN CHINA!

I'm not guaranteeing that any problem will occur, but your chances of having a serious problem getting your visa are much higher in the PRC than in Japan.

I had a horrible experience with this. I was trying to get a tourist visa to enter Korea (okay, not an E-2) because Americans without tourist visas only get 30 days.

I went to the Shenyang Korean consulate. They INSISTED that I was automatically 90 days. I was like "I'm not sure about that, can you please double check?" They INSISTED that I was automatically 90 days, and refused to give me a visa in any sort of rational time frame.

I come back to Korea, and guess what, I was right, you DO need a tourist visa to be here for 90 days as an American. I was able to get an extension to stay here 90 days and finish my CELTA course, but unlike a tourist visa, my non-visa status was not extendable to student status again. So thanks to Shenyang's blithering idiocy, I had to shell out hundreds more dollars, go to Fukuoka, and get the visa there.

Long story short, Korean embassies and consulates in the PRC are just outposts of the KCIA. They are hell to get visas from. They are used to saying "no, you're an insect" because they're used to dealing with throngs of millions of Chinese people who want to escape China.

Do this in Japan, and visit China another time, or maybe you can do this in Hong Kong, I don't know. Just whatever you do, don't repeat my mistake and think a consulate/embassy in the PRC was created equal with the one in Fukuoka!
ChinaBoy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let the last post keep you from trying it.. although why you would try in Shen Yang is beyond me, as I'm sure they only have Chinese applying there.

The Korea Embassy in BJ was great when I went. No problems whatsoever, didn't even have to take a number, just walked in and right to the window as the girl was waving me forward (despite others being in the room waiting).. hehehe

That said, I would have doubts about trying it anywhere except Beijing, Shanghai, or Hong Kong. News about regulations doesn't seem to travel outside those three cities (as the above poster found out).
pooks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Beijing visa run Reply with quote

Hi ChinaBoy
How long did the Beijing embassy take to process your e2 visa? I have been to Oskaka and Fukuoka and I am looking for somewhere else in SE Asia to go to and I think Beijing sounds best but I do have a bit of a time limit.
Any other info you could give would be super appreciated.
Thanks
katepult

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend that you use one of your holidays in Korea to visit Beijing. You need a Chinese visa to enter China, which can be expensive or quite expensive for Americans.

Do your visa in your home country or do a visa run to Japan or Hong Kong (neither should require a visa to enter). I haven't done a visa in China, but I've done a few in Hong Kong, one in Japan and one in Hanoi. Hong Kong and Japan were efficient and overnight, in Hanoi it took 10 days and extra paperwork. I'd expect China to be more like Hanoi because they may not have a lot of people applying for E2 visas there. When consulates are unfamiliar with the visa process it takes longer.
joeyjoejoe

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Visa run to Beijing? Reply with quote

rooster_2006 wrote:
Korea Newfie wrote:

Thanks,
KN
DO NOT RISK TRYING TO DO THIS IN CHINA!
Long story short, Korean embassies and consulates in the PRC are just outposts of the KCIA. They are hell to get visas from. They are used to saying "no, you're an insect" because they're used to dealing with throngs of millions of Chinese people who want to escape China.

i got mine in qingdao.
only one girl in the consulate spoke a little bit of english, she said that no one in the consulate had ever had anything to do with an e2 visa before, they had no idea what to do, but they did everything they could for me and i had my visa the following morning.
beijing would be fine
guerillera

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. I worked in China for a while and these posts bring back some memories.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: