Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unceremoniously dumped. Letter of non-renewal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BTM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Unceremoniously dumped. Letter of non-renewal? Reply with quote

So my university has just told me that they're not going to be offering me a new contract for September. The official line is that I don't want to teach kids on the breaks, although no one actually asked me to do it. The reality is that they have a line on someone who'll teach for the associated church for free, and the $$$ signs are of course almighty. All this despite the fact that my boss (who has the title but no power) loves me, and the students have rated me top instructor every semester since I started there, and I'm one kick-ass teacher. Wink

Sigh.

They've given me a 'letter of non-renewal,' stating in English and Korean and all nicely stamped and stuff that says they won't be picking up my contract for September.

Just wanted to ask any of the old hands on the board if I'm going to need any other paperwork.

(Also, if anyone has a decent job opening coming up where they're at, I'd sure appreciate a heads-up. S/he who helps me find a new job not only receives a Massive Good Karma Dose, but heaps of beer/beverage-of-choice too!)
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine is leaving his job in September to go back home. He was asked by his boss if he could find a replacement. Anyway I'll give you the pros and cons of this job and you can decide if you want it. If you do I'll give you his e-mail address and you can go from there.

Cons: about 2 hours south of Seoul
Small town (10,000-15,000?)
No other native speakers at the hakwon

Pros: He has worked there for nearly three years and has always been paid in full and on time. Sometimes early.
The Korean co-workers are quite friendly and easy to get along with. One of them speaks fairly good English.
The kids are well-behaved for the most part and quite friendly (that's what I found when I visited)
If one of the students misbehaves, the director will usually take the teacher's side (believe it or not).

EDIT forgot to mention that his pay is 2 million for 28 hours a week. That's the important stuff, right? Very Happy Hours and pay.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Unceremoniously dumped. Letter of non-renewal? Reply with quote

BTM, Sorry to hear of your temporary setback.
BTM wrote:
Just wanted to ask any of the old hands on the board if I'm going to need any other paperwork.

This is a no-brainer, but if you haven't already done so make sure you get your boss to give you a nice letter of reference, in Korean and English, on your school's letterhead paper and stamped with a tojang. You never know when it'll come in handy.
BTM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, got the glowing reference letter already. First thing out of the gate!

TheUrbanMyth - I'm looking to steer clear of teaching kids if I can, but thanks for the heads-up. I'll think on it...
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Unceremoniously dumped. Letter of non-renewal? Reply with quote

BTM wrote:
So my university has just told me that they're not going to be offering me a new contract for September. The official line is that I don't want to teach kids on the breaks, although no one actually asked me to do it. The reality is that they have a line on someone who'll teach for the associated church for free, and the $$$ signs are of course almighty. All this despite the fact that my boss (who has the title but no power) loves me, and the students have rated me top instructor every semester since I started there, and I'm one kick-ass teacher. Wink

Sigh.

They've given me a 'letter of non-renewal,' stating in English and Korean and all nicely stamped and stuff that says they won't be picking up my contract for September.

(Also, if anyone has a decent job opening coming up where they're at, I'd sure appreciate a heads-up. S/he who helps me find a new job not only receives a Massive Good Karma Dose, but heaps of beer/beverage-of-choice too!)

Get a letter of permission to move or at least a notice of end of contract from your school.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Unceremoniously dumped. Letter of non-renewal? Reply with quote

Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:
Get a letter of permission to move or at least a notice of end of contract from your school.

Great idea! Perhaps something along the lines of a letter of non-renewal? Rolling Eyes
BTM wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: