Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fired? no ticket home, no release letter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: fired? no ticket home, no release letter Reply with quote

okay, so i just got "layed off" from my job. i knew something was going to happen since my school isn't making enough money to pay the staff.
my boss wanted to get rid of me but keep my boyfriend for the rest of the year. i'm okay with going home as i was planning to leave in two months anyways, but my boyfriend wants to find work elsewhere in korea. our boss is saying that either (a) he stays and works at the same school and i go home or (b) he leaves with me back to canada - those are the only options.
we tried to ask for a release letter (which was quickly shot down) and then we asked him to come to the immigration office with us so we know he has terminated the visas (that way my boyfriend can get another e-2 visa from another sponsor). my director is saying that not only is the paperwork to terminate our visas very long and difficult (which is why we are staying for another three weeks) but that once we've bought our plane tickets home he needs to know so he can meet us at the airport to make sure we get on a plane back to canada. only then will he complete the paperwork needed to terminate our visas.
it doesn't make any sense to me. i know he wants my boyfriend to stay for the rest of the year but since we chose option (b) and we're both fired now what difference does it make where we go?
does anyone know what to do in this situation?
because my boss fired me doesn't he have to provide a way home for me?
and doesn't he also have to release my boyfriend?
sorry if this is a bit scrambled, i just found out two hours ago and i'm still a little shaky.
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Hi there Reply with quote

Hi there- so- there's 8 more weeks left? If that's the case- save yourself a ton of problems- smile- and rent a zillion videos for three weeks. After licking your wounds for the first 5 videos- you might feel better.

Declaring war: I think the stats are 1/10000 teachers get ahead by declaring war. I'm not saying that you shouldn't. Just be aware of the stats. Usually when the teacher gets ahead by declaring any war is plunk in the middle of where a school really needs the teacher to stay- this one doesn't.

As for EFL Law- I'm yet to see a flood of teachers hit this board and say- "Yey- I won. I won." Rather- EFL Law at this stage in the game seems to comfort teachers. The comforting is good. However, correct me if I'm wrong anyone- I haven't seen many victories.

Last edited by humanuspneumos on Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
bap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got three weeks left, not eight. im also not looking to declare war. the meeting i had today went very smoothly and we left with no real bad feelings. but i just don't think it's fair if someone can fire you but not allow you to work anywhere else. i also don't think that it's fair to fire someone because your business is going under and force them to leave the country.
i made no threats and had no outbursts during this meeting - it was all very civil. i'm just looking for some advice. i want to do everything legally, but i don't know much about korea or it's laws because i've only been here for four months.
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: I'm trying to do the math Reply with quote

I'm trying to do the math so I know where you stand. You've been in Korea for 4 months and have three weeks left. So- that's 4 months and 3 weeks if you keep going. That means that you have over 7 months on the E2 until its officially finished. Hmmmmmm That would hold you up from going back into Korea for a long while. Someone posted here- look up in the thread- a new law stating that you can't get a release until 9 have been completed.

If you had been in Korea for 11 months- you could take a stand of sorts. However- you mentioned in your post that you've only been in Korea 4 months- so - that makes it even tougher to figure-out a solution.
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Ok- I see something Reply with quote

I see the thread I was talking about isn't here at this time. Anyway- someone posted a thread about a new law stating that you can't get a release letter until after 9 months of teaching.

Well- I've been around since 96 so I have a few tricks- here's one- get your name into another school and have them phone the owner for purposes of hiring you (unless you're too tired of it all for 12 more months). Sometimes desperate schools will phone the owner to put pressure on the school to get something done by way of release letters/visa (you never know who has immigration in their pocket). You guys are a bonus in that you're alread in Korea. Also- if I remember correctly- you can transfer if a school is having such huge financial pressures that they just can't keep you. So- your school is having financial pressures and I believe I'm correct on this- can issue a release letter before the 9 months is up- they just have to prove that it's all about "no money."
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bap wrote:
i want to do everything legally, but i don't know much about korea or it's laws because i've only been here for four months.

Dont bother being nice or doing things legally because

1) He'll only be nice to you long enough to twist the knife in deeper. Including finding ways to not pay you what he owes you.

2) As it's been said, legally almost never works.

What's the real problem here? You dont want to seperate from your boyfriend?
bap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't have a problem with seperating from my boyfriend i was just wondering what the usual process for being fired is. i WANT to leave, i'm okay with going home, i just wanted a little extra knowledge so i don't get screwed over and try to help a friend at the same time.
geez guys, your kinda mean.
maybe someone can handle these questions for me: how long does it take to terminate your visa? if you go to immigration with your boss how long would it take? a couple of hours or just a few papers to sign? my boss is under the impression that it will take the next three weeks to do all the paperwork. true or false?
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Not trying to be mean! Reply with quote

Not trying to be mean- or even sound mean. Unless something has changed drastically- I was under the impression that cancelling the E2 takes however long to jump in the car with the owner- go to immigration- tell the officer that it's cancelled- the officer types it into the computer (you give your card back) and that's it that's all. Also- if you're not interested in going back- then it should be that simple. As for airfare- usually return airfare is given only upon completion. I know- the law says that they have to fly you back- however, it's that 1/10,000 rule at play here.

Some-body might be em-bare-assed to stand in front of the immigration officer to say it's cancelled and risking the discovery of something. That's the only reason I can think of for denying a cancellation.
rapier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of the E2/ release letter;-I'm finishing a 4-month contract soon, with a release letter. Will I have to get a whole new E2 visa when I go to a new school, or can I just work on my same E2 at a new place?
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: I thought there were only two conditions that it's possible: Reply with quote

I thought there were only three conditions that it was possible:

1. The school proves money problems/bankruptcy

2. Another school with immigration power magically gets it all transferred somehow (under the table?). Anyway- some things are possible in the land of the morning bribe.

3. The questionable 9 month completion thing seems to tie that idea up.

What do you think- most of your posts seem to be loaded with information/insight? Maybe there's options 4-6. I don't know.

I've heard of transferability only under the first point- bankruptcy.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bap wrote:

geez guys, your kinda mean.
maybe someone can handle these questions for me: how long does it take to terminate your visa? if you go to immigration with your boss how long would it take? a couple of hours or just a few papers to sign? my boss is under the impression that it will take the next three weeks to do all the paperwork. true or false?

I cant speak for the others here, but when you've been slapped in the face as often as I have here, you tend to think in a mean way.

I think it takes the length of a phone call for your visa to be terminated. As in, your boss calls them up and says "This person isnt working here any more."
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Actually- WB is likely right Reply with quote

WB is likely right under optimum conditions- that being you sitting beside the phone with someone else who understands what's up in Korean. I always thought that to be the case- then I became jaded about "phone-calls" and wanted to see it first-hand. Aferall- I got really burnt once by something I should have done myself- gone to immigration.

WB- slapped in the face- that's hilarious. Perhaps I haven't been following your threads. I guess everyone is slapping everyone these days and stupid slaps tend to put me in a "mean" tone without knowing it.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one can use you unless you let them. Go to the labor board and if you are in the right, you'll prevail.
Hagwon Muppet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think your rights are pretty limited if you haven't been at the school for 6 months. I think you are going to have to bite the bullet on this one.

If you don't mind leaving then you should go - make sure you get all your money before you do

As for your boyfriend - if the school won't release him then I think he either stays where he is (would he want to stay) or leaves with you.

It MAY be possible to get another E2 visa at another school (anything is POSSIBLE) but there's no guarantee.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Actually- WB is likely right Reply with quote

humanuspneumos wrote:

WB- slapped in the face- that's hilarious. Perhaps I haven't been following your threads. I guess everyone is slapping everyone these days and stupid slaps tend to put me in a "mean" tone without knowing it.

Well, I meant getting slapped in the face here in Korea has made me mean.

On a message board it just makes me meaner. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: