Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work for a new graduate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeredithBlueEyes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Work for a new graduate Reply with quote

I'm an English major (graduating in May) with 6 months' experience as an ESL teacher. After graduating, I'm getting my CELTA. None of the Korean jobs I see here require any kind of teaching certification. That makes me think I ought to be able to find a higher paying job, perhaps at a school without a reputation for cheating teachers. But how do I go about finding those? Should I just look on the web for language schools in Korea and contact them myself?

Thanks for your help!
Hotuk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Should I just look on the web for language schools in Korea and contact them myself?"

In short, yes. IMO this will get better results than recruiters (god no) and placing an ad on the job wanted board. Find out what schools have good reputations by reading this board and perusing the Job Information Journal and don't wait for them to advertise- be proactive. And when contract time comes, don't be shy about asking for advice here.

Good luck - hope to see you here soon!
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Work for a new graduate Reply with quote

MeredithBlueEyes wrote:
I'm getting my CELTA. None of the Korean jobs I see here require any kind of teaching certification. That makes me think I ought to be able to find a higher paying job, perhaps at a school without a reputation for cheating teachers.

It's my impression that TEFL certificates (like the CELTA, TESOL, etc.) don't give you any particular advantage in Korea, but that's from my own limited experience. Some people would tell you that you should save your time and money and not do the CELTA before coming to Korea. However, I would advise you to do the CELTA anyway, because one day, you'll probably want to leave Korea and teach somewhere else for a while, and you'll be glad that have a certificate then, not to mention the fact that teaching will be much easier if you have some training. As another argument against putting it off, most employers who value certification view post-CELTA experience as being more valuable than pre-CELTA experience.
sickboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you post on Eurotrip?
MeredithBlueEyes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I do.

I've been looking online for a directory of English schools in Korea or even websites of individual schools. I'm not having much luck. Any suggestions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: