Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job at over 60

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abrogard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Job at over 60 Reply with quote

I'm 62 and it's hard to find a job. I posted before and some folks helped with some advice which boiled down to EPIK. I applied but was too late for this intake.

If anyone has any clues on a place where I might get a job for the next semester please let me know.

I am teaching in China right now. I taught in Korea in 2000.

regards,

abrogard.
([email protected])
Anda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Go to Dave's Job Wanted Resume Board and post for a start.

Second try the links on Dave's and here on PusanWeb. Look at the recruiters and contact them.

http://www.pusanweb.com/forums/index.htm
abrogard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: thanks... it's all happening Reply with quote

>>Go to Dave's Job Wanted Resume Board and post for a start.

Done that many times and it's happening now, too.

>>Second try the links on Dave's and here on PusanWeb. Look at the >>recruiters and contact them.

>>http://www.pusanweb.com/forums/index.htm

What links? You mean like 'jobs available' ? I respond to many of those as a matter of course.

Thanks for the forums link. I've added that to my collection and I'll probably make a post there, too.

regards.
ab
Anda

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

PusanWeb has a list of recruiters on their site. I tried to direct link to it but without success. On Dave's job board you will also see recruiters advertising. Country sites often have trouble getting people so it is just a matter of being available at the right time.
abrogard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Excess... Reply with quote

Do you really read Oscar Wilde? Ballad of Reading Goal?
Anda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Um, yes most of it!

http://www.bootlegbooks.com/Poetry/Wilde/ReadingGaol/Complete.html
JMILTON

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be realistic about getting jobs. There will not be many that want someone of your age. It is difficult here in general with all the discriminatory practices. But think back when you were 12 would you realy want to study with someone who was 60. I know I sure wouldn't. Even now when I studied languages in other countries my teachers that were of more venerable ages taught an antiquated style of language. Not as effective as someone closer to the same age. Good luck, sorry to sound like another ageist jerk.
Anda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Age doesn't make a teacher good or bad or liked, unliked etc. You can be interesting or boring at any age.

A couple of years back a young teacher at a foreign language high school at Gumi had a letter handed to him where all the students had signed saying that he was a useless lazy teacher. The young teacher left shortly afterwards.

A lady I know was very popular with students at the Korean National University Of Education (KNUE) and she was in her seventies.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But think back when you were 12 would you realy want to study with someone who was 60. I know I sure wouldn't.

Kids go for older people as often as younger ones - as we get older, we might be a little less self-concious and more able to react to them on their level, rather than have a nagging voice in the back of our head worrying whether we are still cool if we make faces and giggle along with a bunch of six-year-olds. (I'm only 44, but I have enough gray hair that the kids call me "haraboji-teacher" and I sometimes have to do a hard sell to convince a potential boss that I can do what they need.)

Korean prejudice about age stems from their ideas about what is normal behavior for older people, and teaching kindergarden does fall into what they consider normal - screw that, most of what foreigners common do is not normal in Korean minds. They also doubt that someone older will have the energy and "stamina" to work with the young ones, so it's your job to convince them you are not normal in that respect either.

The good news is that an employer who looks beyond the superficial will be a better one to work for in gerneral, for many other reasons as well. Think of it as a filter that can help you weed out the useless prospects.

Don't give up. The job you want might take longer to find, but that's usually the case anyway, as opposed to taking just any job that's out there.
abrogard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Mature teachers Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their replies. They are interesting and I'd love to get into an animated discussion about the relative merits of mature teachers as against immature - it'd be lots of fun, very exciting, very verbose....

and probably very much a waste of time.

What I need is a connection with an employer I can talk business with.

Myself I have no fears, doubts, uncertainties or insecurities about my teaching, my age, my qualifications, my abilities, my stamina, my worth or precious little else.

I taught very successfully in Korea in 2000 when I was a mere 60 and I have taught very successfully in the two years since then in Thailand and China whilst necessarily gaining experience, insight, maturity, knowledge, patience, understanding and, even, if I dare suggest it - a tiny tad of wisdom.

Henry is 12 days old and forcing me to type with one finger... I can't keep it up for long...

Mainly what I want to do is return to Wonju I guess and I know there's never any going back, really - the past you remember is not the past that was - so all this is sort of putting it in the lap of the gods... for fate to decide... I can accept with some equanamity whatever happens....

ciao.. Smile
rapier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abrogard: have you had a lifetime of esl? If so, d'you have a pension now? How was it for the first ESLer's in Korea? Wow!!!
wildBillLee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Selling yourself Reply with quote

My advice for an individual of your age (I'm pushing 50), and wanting to teach in Korea, would be to travel to the location of your choice and begin to knock on doors, i.e., sell yourself to potential employers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: