Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the situation with shared housing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanKorea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: What is the situation with shared housing? Reply with quote

Hello again, I asked earlier about EG Schools. I'm still looking into them. Can anyone tell me about the shared housing situation? I was told they only have shared housing. Thanks!
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Shared Housing? Reply with quote

Are you asking specifically about shared housing at EG Schools,or in general? Shared housing is ...to be avoided...like the plague.
1.It is never a good idea to live with the same people you work with...familiarity breeds contempt.
2.There are a lot of crazies in this business.You do not want to live with them.
yodanole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the crazy teacher you don't want to live with. So are you!
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Yeah.... Reply with quote

I TOLD you there were crazies out there.Working with them is bad enough...living with them...better forget it.
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Roomies Reply with quote

Roomies- I remember my roomies cooking at 4 in the morning beside my bedroom wall and I had to get up at 6 AM to get to an early adult class. Not fun- not to mention the "Who will wash the dishes?" game and a zillion other things. These days Korea is giving single studios to singles. I'd rather live in a yogwan than to be not only working through the dynamics work- but- the dynamics of room-mates killing each other over something rediculous.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never ever share housing. You'll regret it. Ask the school owner if he/she wants to share their house! Of course not! Why should you?
Man of Changwon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with the shared housing situation. I know I've been lucky and I know there are many loony tunes out there but I've lived with 2 people in 2 years and both have been fantastic. Explore the country together and someone to talk with at times, share fantastic drinking times togethere,etc. having said this however my next contract I am going for single housing, not because of the roommate situation but because of the girlfriend factor. It is a lot better to live by yourself and have as much loud sex as you want whenever you want then to worry about whether the roommate can hear:)
I think if it is your first contract to Korea and you don't get a loony tune(I would say only 10% are loony tunes here) then it would be good to have a flatmate.
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Man,Oh Man Reply with quote

Man of C....good post...but I think your estimate of 10 percent of the ESL "teachers" here being "looney tunes" is woefully low....I would say it is closer to thirty per cent...and even that figure may be too conservative. Laughing
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Man,Oh Man Reply with quote

Mody Ba wrote:
Man of C....good post...but I think your estimate of 10 percent of the ESL "teachers" here being "looney tunes" is woefully low....I would say it is closer to thirty per cent...and even that figure may be too conservative. Laughing

Mody Ba...good post...but I think your estimate of 30 percent of the ESL "teachers" here being "looney tunes" is woefully low...I would say it is closer to 50 percent ...and even that figure may be too conservative Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: