Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

YBM is still misleading people

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:04 am    Post subject: YBM is still misleading people Reply with quote

Why is YBM allowed to get away with false advirtising?

YBM is misrepresenting again.

In YBM Deves' Esl Cafe ad they say

Pay rate:
For teaching 90 hours 1.6 to 1.8 million won
For teaching 95 hours 1.7 to 1.9 million won
Our teaching hours are lower than the typical 100 to 120 teaching hours most schools offer in Korea.
But on their contract it says:

http://www.ybmsisa.com/ecc_edu/index.asp?sub1=sample

".1 During the term of this agreement, the employee is required to prepare for, teach, and carry out all required administrative duties connected with classes assigned by the employer. The minimum teaching requirement is ninety (135-forty minute classes) actual teaching hours per session. Monday through Saturday are teaching days except for scheduled public holidays and vacation days."

In Korea most schools have 50 minute classes not 60 minute classes.

YBM is being cute with numbers. They are pretending without saying it that if you teach at other schools you will teach 120 hours but if you teach at YBM you will only teach 90.

But the truth is:

At YBM you teach 135 * 40min class a month = 5400 minutes = 90 hours

other schools 120 * 50 minutes a month = 6000 minutes a month = 100 hours.

At YBM you might work 10% less hours but your salary will be more than 10% lower.

Our teaching hours are lower than the typical 100 to 120 teaching hours most schools offer in Korea.

100 * 50 = 5000 minutes a month 83 and 1/2 hours

83 1/2 < 90
Gord

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: YBM is still misleading people Reply with quote

It's a strawman argument.
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they still use the same line as, "Well, we might not pay as much, but at least you know you'll get your pay check every month, unlike Mr. Kim's school down on the corner."

The upper management of YBM, or the Min family, have historically been cheap asses there entire lives and think it's great to get rich off of the people they pull off the street. I remember the day when YBM would pull anybody off the streets into their class rooms as long as they were white and pay them no more than 1.3 Many many years ago, things weren't so bad when they have pinoneers like Steven Stupack and David Rogers at the helm but once new Korean management pulled the carpet from under their feet, things went down hill for awhile.

I can't say that YBM is a bad company. Any company that makes as much money as they do, can't be considered bad. However, their business practises fall are pretty shaky because they don't have strong management at the top. This trinkels down where middle management guys who are not good enough to get promoted, and only hold their positions because of seniority. The YBM disease infests there in teh middle management and spreads throughout all of their buildings. Moral is pretty low there that people convince themselfs of a reality that is not true. You can see this when you read their contracts and listen to the spill YBM recruiters will pitch.

These days, there are so many organizations that are 10x better than YBM.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter what the contract states, it all comes down to this: No one can force you to sign a bad contract. Common sense which I realize many of us do not use should come into play here. For those who "teach" in korea, you know that it is not a "real" teaching job. Schools want you to teach 7/8/9 50 minute classes a day! Or 130 hours a month. 130 hours a month at 40/50 minutes a class (and many of these schools don't count a 50 minute class as 1 hour) equals a lot of classes! No one can teach 5/6 50 minute classes a day every day and be prepared as well as do an excellent job. It is not possible. I see korean teachers teaching 8/9 and 10 classes a day and they tell me they like it! I don't believe them. Especially being paid peanuts for teaching so many classes! Until these bad contracts stop getting signed, it won't change.
Schools know however that someone will sign the contract even if it's bad.
Anda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

With 9 million unemployed in the U.S. and other places trying to catch up it is unlikely that the flow of teachers will dry up if they haven't already done so.
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
No matter what the contract states, it all comes down to this: No one can force you to sign a bad contract. Common sense which I realize many of us do not use should come into play here. For those who "teach" in korea, you know that it is not a "real" teaching job. Schools want you to teach 7/8/9 50 minute classes a day! Or 130 hours a month. 130 hours a month at 40/50 minutes a class (and many of these schools don't count a 50 minute class as 1 hour) equals a lot of classes! No one can teach 5/6 50 minute classes a day every day and be prepared as well as do an excellent job. It is not possible. I see korean teachers teaching 8/9 and 10 classes a day and they tell me they like it! I don't believe them. Especially being paid peanuts for teaching so many classes! Until these bad contracts stop getting signed, it won't change.
Schools know however that someone will sign the contract even if it's bad.

I wish the moderators would post all of the IP address/user names that come out of the YBM building.
Homer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBM is a huge organisation.
Not all their schools follow "company policy".
This can be bad or good.
I worked at a YBM ECC in Busan for 3 years. I was my first job in Korea. My first contract was low but then I didn't know any betted... Wink
My second and third contracts I negociated with my director in person. I got a nice pay raise every time and no big splits. My then director did not follow the company line exactly, he left some maneuvering room.
I eneded up leaving after the 3 years because of working on saturdays. the rest of the working conditions, including pay and benefits, were quite good.
YBM is not a monolithic organisation...there are variations.
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
This can be bad or good.
I worked at a YBM ECC in Busan for 3 years. I was my first job in Korea. My first contract was low but then I didn't know any betted... Wink
My second and third contracts I negociated with my director in person. I got a nice pay raise every time and no big splits. My then director did not follow the company line exactly, he left some maneuvering room.
I eneded up leaving after the 3 years because of working on saturdays. the rest of the working conditions, including pay and benefits, were quite good.

blah blah blah

Naw, I believe you. There are some decent places within the YBM organization. Like always, it depends on the director Wink
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
This can be bad or good.

Their ad is still not honest
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: