Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanted: Used Car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Buy/Sell/Trade Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k-bot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Wanted: Used Car Reply with quote

I am looking for a reasonably priced, used car for when I return to Korea at the end of February. If you are selling, or know of someone who is, please respond to this post.
fdwilliams

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: What are you looking for? Reply with quote

Do you have something specific in mind? Most fuel efficient? Compact? Age? Price? I know of a couple of cars that might be available, depending on your budget.
k-bot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey...
Right now, I am looking at around a 1 million won budget, I would prefer something fuel efficient, but I really am not that picky. I would also prefer a reliable (maybe newer) car. Let me know what you've got!

Thanks!
fdwilliams

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Possible cars Reply with quote

I should begin by saying I know very little about buying used cars in Korea, other than from the experience of friends. I thought this might give you some help in pricing. I know of two cars that belong to fellow teachers that might be available around the time you arrive. Both are Daewoo models.

The nicer car seats five and is reasonably fuel efficient. Fair appearance and interior, comfortable, tape player and radio, a/c works fine. The owner is currently traveling and will be moving to Singapore sometime in February. I think he would take 1,000,000 won if the arrangements aren't too difficult (he may leave Korea before you arrive).

The other car is a small four-seat hatchback, very inexpensive to maintain and drive (about 6-7 cents per kilometer -- or 10 cents a mile for gas -- at the current price around 1,450 won per liter or US$5.50 a gallon). Insurance runs around 330,000 per year. Tape player and radio, but very sparse interior. I have driven the car regularly and had it serviced over the past two years at a Daewoo Service Center. Last service was about two weeks ago -- new battery installed, oil and air filter changed, etc. The service records are in the car. Mechanically good, with very few problems. Fair to poor appearance. Around 145,000 km. on it. Air conditioner not working (200,000 won repair convinced owner to skip it). The owner paid 1,500,000 (with non-working a/c) three years ago for it from a used car dealer. For the first year drove it once a week to E-mart (60 km roundtrip) on Sunday (believe it or not). I added about 300-400 km per month to that. The current owner said a few months ago that he might buy a newer car after January 1, since he is now driving a bit more. I think 500,000 won would be a reasonable price.

Since I don't own either car, I'd have to talk to the owners if you think you might be interested. Otherwise, good hunting. The used car market is tricky, but you can get some good bargains.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Buy/Sell/Trade Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: