Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curious...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Austin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Curious... Reply with quote

Why is it that others get so offended, jealous, etc. over others that are able to do more and navigate this country more successfully in a shorter period of time?

Some people are blessed with a bit more than others, and the learning curve is not the same for each of us.

I am happy for Pootie. I hope he grabs it and takes it for all it is worth.

Let us not confuse bitterness with "betterness!"
wormholes101

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some scientists will argue that 'adaptation' is one facet of intelligence...
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Curious... Reply with quote

Austin wrote:
Why is it that others get so offended, jealous, etc. over others that are able to do more and navigate this country more successfully in a shorter period of time?

Some people are blessed with a bit more than others, and the learning curve is not the same for each of us.

I am happy for Pootie. I hope he grabs it and takes it for all it is worth.

Let us not confuse bitterness with "betterness!"

er... I believe it's the arrogance and the looking down on others that gets up people's asses, not the success.
Homer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also,

Lets not forget that "sucess" can be defined in many ways and that the type of success Pootie seems tp be interested in is not exactly the noblest kind... Wink
I mean "money and chicks"....there has to be more than that to life.
And "grabbing it and taking it for all its worth" is symptomatic of one of the great problems in todays world...please refer to the "me, myself, myself again and oh myself and I and myself again" school of thought.
Austin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:44 am    Post subject: Negative energy... Reply with quote

Negative energy can create more negative energy, and it can feed on itself. Some people surround themselves with other positive-minded people and help others to maintain a positive outlook on every situation they encounter.

For every action, thought, etc., there is going to be a reaction.

How we respond to situations speaks volumes about where we are in the development of our wisdom and maturity.

All you have to do is take care of yourself and not pollute the environment that we are all a part of with negativity. What others do does not have to lead you to be critical of them, you could try being accepting and tolerant.

The choice is yours to make.
captain kirk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, man, do you have that on parchment? what's adaptive about coming across as arrogant? it puts you in the upper percentile of your own opinion of yourself. you're smart, you're positive, you're a TROLL! maybe MENSA has a discussion board. wouldn't being really smart have more to do with looking outward rather than congratulating the shine on one's shoes instigating trolls? i'm sure you'll tell me ALL about it...
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: I Knew it Was Too Good to Last.. Reply with quote

Ohmigod! Rolling Eyes Austin has resurfaced and now he is trying to defend Pootie's dubious machinations.Maybe Austin and Pootie are one and the same?If not,it just goes to prove that old adage"Birds of a feather flock together."Austin disappear from the forum?I knew it was too good to last...
Mosley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's scary to consider that Captain Kirk MIGHT be wrong & our humble "Great Leader" is not a troll but really believes his s***. In any case I'm sure our very own Great Guru/Yoda/Sensei believes he is a success and he is, in the same sense that the main character in James Clavell's KING RAT was a "success".
Austin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Clarity... Reply with quote

When I stated that he should "grab it and take it for what it is worth," I it obvious that some misunderstood my meaning.

We all can benefit from living in the moment, as opposed to the past or the future.

Why would people select to view passion for an experience and the acceptance of that experience as a negative?

We have been teachers to each other. I have become even more focused on positives, thanks to the negative examples that many of you continually present.

Why would some consider that life experience needs to be defended? What is it that they fear?
Mosley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Austin.... Reply with quote

Thanks for the "clarity". About as clear as Dennis Hopper's character in APOCALYPSE NOW....
Homer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

austin,
You are mixing things up here. Living in the present and making the most of every day is one thing in fact its a great way to live. However, this has to be done in conjoncture with the needs of the people around you and with some sort of social conscience.
If a person is flown over here, lodged and well paid by an employer, well treated from what it seems and yet wants to jump ship because of some unsubstatiated rumor of extravagant earnings then that goes beyond living in the now and ventures into the living only for oneself.
Then there is the fact that you are not alone on this Earth. There are people around you and what you do has an impact on them. Living for yourself is important but you must also consider others.
So, chasing "chicks and cash" is taking care of yourself but at the extent of others.
Pooties example is a good one: he elegedly has a 3.2 won/month job where is is well treated. He has been there less than a month and now wants to leave the job for no other reason then good ole money bags and wants his employer, who has invested money to bring him over too keep his visa running (illegal) so he can legitimize his private income (illegal again). This goes beyond living in the moment and goes into living at the expense of others.
Then the attitude pervading his posts speaks volumes about his choice of life. He looks at korean women, or just women in general, as objects to be used and tossed out. He saw coming here as some sort of "12 month paid vacation". Again..this goes beyond living for oneself and in the moment and straight into living at the expense of others.
Wheter you like it or not, there are teachers here who take there jobs seriously and behavior like that of Pootie reflects badly on the foreign teaching community. By jumping ship after one month (if this is even true) without good reason he will not help anybody but himself. His students are obviously a non-consideration as he chases the paycheck that will permit him to party on and chase chicks.
There is nothing wrong with flirting and wanting to meet women or make a good living. The problem is when this is approached as some sort of contest that considers only the needs of oneself at the expense of others.
You make a good point about negativity vs positivity. One does attract more of them same. But, criticism is also part of life and when a person lives according to his primary needs and considers others as tools to fullfill his needs..is that "positive" and is that not something that should be addressed?
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Austin and Pootie are not the same person. I can vouch for that.

Austin: I really don't think we (hope you don't mind me using the collective here!) have a problem with other people being successful. We just have a problem with people being so ridiculously arrogant and downright chauvinistic. I really did think that men, sorry, he cannot be described as a man as yet, males like Pootie, went out with the dark ages. I don't like men to be wimps, but on the other hand, this guy must be having Testosterone supplements on his cornflakes for breakfast.

I thought that you espoused that people be responsible for their actions, and that included taking your employer and your students into consideration. Leaving your Hagwon in the lurch to go and chase the dollar and exclusively teach privates does not seem very responsible to me....
Austin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Acceptance... Reply with quote

Being critical of others is something that we have been conditioned to do in this society, but that does not mean it is right?

If you truly ever come to accept yourself, you will no doubt be capable of completely accepting others as they are. I have not come to that point yet, but I do try.

I believe that all of our lives are intended to be interconnected, and that our current "reality" has caused us to feel separated (and that is why life is suffering). People see others as individuals, and only some are capable of appreciating how we are all a part of the whole and completely necessary.

Pootie will learn, and whether he hurts others or not, they will learn from their experience with him.

Emma, you speak of arrogance, but is it not arrogant for someone to condemn another person? They obviously have to either think that they are better than the person that they are condemning or perhaps far worse (focusing on other peoples' problems seldom solves our own troubles).

I am not sure if you can follow me or not, but I have far too many things within myself that I can focus on to make this world a better place, than focus on somebody else's perceived faults.

Homer, as for the "awareness" that you were referring to in your response, yes, we need to be mindful of our role and this existence, but as I said before, every action has a reaction. Pootie will learn at his own pace, as we all do. When he becomes mindful of what he has created for himself from his behavior, he will then be impowered to change it (not before).

Why be concerned about how others perceive you?

You walk in to a room and one set of eyes is being critical of your shoes, another your haircut, another your clothing, blah, blah, blah... What good could possibly come out of all of that negative energy? Why do it?

The next time you catch yourself beginning to gossips about others and projecting negativity, stop!

Homer, if you believe what you have written about how we have a responsibility to others, do not we have to start with ourselves?

Your approach may not lead you were you want to go, but it may lead you to were you need to go (so much for expectations).

The lessons never cease.
GirlFromMars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin, go grab a beer and relax. Yes right now, grab a beer, come back, crack a joke, you know you can. Laugh at yourself a little and I dare you to laugh at someone else.

I agree with some of what you just wrote (especially about negative energy) and respect your opinion on the points I disagree with but honestly, are you this serious all the time in your day to day life too?

Admittedly, you do have a sahara dry sense of humour that occasionally pops its head up in your posts.
Trinny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin,

Interesting theory. Reminds me of John Donne's "To whom the bell tolls?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: