Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

good places to eat in Hong Kong?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: good places to eat in Hong Kong? Reply with quote

I'm on my way to that bastion of excellent food and restaurants and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for places to eat. Last time I was there, I was at the end of my SEA tour so had to go super low-budget, so cluelss on the restaurant scene there.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always go to Old Man Wheezy's Cigarette House of Phlegm Burgers, Poor Ventilation, Facemasks and Incurable Diseases. If the chef washes his hands before he comes out of the restroom I storm out in a fury.
erlyn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Hong Kong in January, I was so excited to see actual delis and pubs, that I ate there most of the time....if you're interested in sandwiches and such, the Delifrance and Oliver's Super Sandwiches chains were great...wonderful bread, with all sorts of gourmet fillings.

As for actual Cantonese-style food, I tried Dim Sum at the Luk Yu teahouse on Stanley Street in Central. I don't know how the food compares to other Dim Sum places, but what I had was tasty, the atmosphere was really nice and the service was okay. I also had good luck with the Lung Moon restaurant in Wan Chai - the street car to Wan Chai goes right by it. Again, I'm no expert, but the place seemed to be packed with locals, and I enjoyed the food. If you're serious about eating your way around Hong Kong, the Lonely Planet publishes a restaurant and food guide for the city. Also, when you hit the airport there, check out the tourism booth - -when I went, they had city-guide style magazines that recommended restaurants.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks for the suggestions erlyn. Yeah, I was so excited about finding a decent sandwich shop as well, ate at Oliver's a couple times. I'll keep the others you mentioned in mind too.
makushi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself up to Lang Kwai Fung in the evening. Tons of outdoor bars and great restaurants including Lebanese, Chinese, German, Italian, etc. Not too pricey either.....
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first real hamburger since coming to Korea in Hong Kong. I don't remember the shop name or anything like that, but the dude was really friendly, and the hamburger wasn't cheap. It was seriously a legit hamburger, though.

There was a Korean restaurant across the street, called Mr. Kim's or some other ironic name.
Canuck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore kicks Hong Kong's ass all over the place when it comes to good food.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canuck wrote:

That's nice.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

makushi wrote:
Get yourself up to Lang Kwai Fung in the evening. Tons of outdoor bars and great restaurants including Lebanese, Chinese, German, Italian, etc. Not too pricey either.....

If you're hankering for a Thai curry or similar... there's a great little set of SE Asian restaurants in a little undercover street that runs parallel to Lang Kwai Fung where all the bars are... it's called Rat's Alley by the local ex-pats but don't know what it is in Cantonese. Some great Thai, Malaysian and Vietnam fare to choose from.

LKF is a great hangout on the weekend, but buy your beer from the corner store people - it's about 75% cheaper and everyone just drinks out in the street anyway... a beer in a restaurant will cost you $40HK but off the street stall guy, only $10! Very Happy

Oh, and there's this great Korean restaurant... hahahaha Very Happy just kiddin' Wink
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canuck wrote:

Yeah, thanks for sharing. This is relevant how? Trying to suggest I should have gone to Singapore instead? Been there done that. The g/friend isn't too keen on Singapore, and has never been to HKG. I'll tell you one thing though, the dim sum in HKG kicks Singapore's "ass all over the place."
Seoultrader

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For quality, there are quite a few (very) upscale joints in Repulse Bay. Make sure to have at least $150-200 in your pocket (US, not HK$). Good for taking the girlfriend/wife/business contact, but not recommended alone.
Canuck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Canuck wrote:

Yeah, thanks for sharing. This is relevant how? Trying to suggest I should have gone to Singapore instead? Been there done that. The g/friend isn't too keen on Singapore, and has never been to HKG. I'll tell you one thing though, the dim sum in HKG kicks Singapore's "ass all over the place."

Well, its not just food. Singapore is a better destination than Hong Kong.
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how long you are staying in HK...but if you have time for a day trip...take the ferry to Cheung Chau (sp) Island and have some seafood. Take the slow ferry as you can sit outside having a beer and watching the scenery go by...once you get to the island find a little restaurant on the seaside and enjoy. Good seafood and good prices...
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canuck wrote:

Well, its not just food. Singapore is a better destination than Hong Kong.

Yeah, in your opinion. Thanks for such a positive contrubtion to this thread.

Anyway, i only have a couple days in Hong Kong, so not sure if i have the time to go check out Ceung Chau Island but i'll keep it in mind.
Canuck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been proven that Singapore kicks ass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: