Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going Strictly Privates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxxx_power wrote:
I think this is his site.

http://www.geocities.com/walters_mission/

Laughing
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Answer to Waago...A Troll Is Reply with quote

A troll is someone who posts , pretending to be someone or something he or she is not,in order to stir up controversy and get people all riled up.The troll then sits back,reads the resulting responses to his or her spurious post(s) and laughs his(or her) a-- off due to the fact people have taken the troll's posts seriously and are now flaming all over the place over something that was not true or only partially true in the first place.Some people get their jollies this way.I hope you are not a troll.
Maybe somebody else can explain it more succinctly?

The other meaning of course,in the fairytale sense, was a sort of ogre(always male?) who frequented bridges and waterways.The most famous one is probably the one in the fairytale"The Billy Goats Gruff"
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other meaning of course,in the fairytale sense, was a sort of ogre(always male?) who frequented bridges and waterways.The most famous one is probably the one in the fairytale"The Billy Goats Gruff"

I'm guessing theres gotta be girl trolls too, else how do they reproduce?
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Trolls(Fairytale) Are Extinct Reply with quote

Well,no,I do not think there were any female trolls(I do not recall any trollettes or trollesses in any stories.)As a result they did NOT reproduce.After all,how many of you have run across a troll(fairytale variety) lately?
On the other hand,there were giantesses and ogresses,but people got sick and tired of trying to pronounce all of those"s's" and so they exiled them forever....I don't know to Taiwan or somewhere Smile
The other type of troll,the kind that delights in posting lies ,is only too real.How do they reproduce?Probably some kind of bizarre asexual cell replication or something.... Smile
rapier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody who is purely in it for the money, and goes all out to teach multiple privates, with multiple students, is necesarilly a bad teacher.
theres no way someone can make 7 million on privates. Unfortunately some people are susceptible to all sorts of BULL. The idea that Pootie, an inexperienced 20 year old, is on 3.2, is ludicrous enough.
I suppose it makes for amusing reading anyway...
Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pootie wrote:
Your social outlet is a bunch of anonymous people contected by a cord.

Well, we can't all be as dazzingly handsome and charismatic and popular as you, Pootie. We really wish we were, but unfortunately we will never be.

*takes another bite of her Big Mac, mmm tasty*
Mankind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anybody who is purely in it for the money, and goes all out to teach multiple privates, with multiple students, is necesarilly a bad teacher.

That is just plain silly. Your reasoning I assume, is that the hours taught would cause a lowering in performance and quality. And if that is the reasoning, than everybody who teaches over 3 hours a day is a bad teacher. 15 hours a week is ideal for top performance and anything after 20 sees a huge drop in quality.
If your arguement is that, anyone who puts money first is a bad teacher, well than I disagree again. Would you (assuming you concider yourself a good teacher) stay at a great hogwan that paid 1.5 instead of going to one that paid 2.5? If your married and have kids, doesn't money have to take a front seat to your personal satisfaction sometimes?
Honestly the arguements against teaching privates, come across as so holier the thou. Do people who teach privates hurt those who don't? No. Unskilled teachers whether private or at an official locations hurt teachers reputations. As for the illegal arguement. All I have to say about that, is that its Koreans who are paying for the teachers. Its Koreans who don't care about bypassing their law and if you ask them, most think its stupid that foreigners can't legally teach privates. Sometimes the only way to change an unjust law is to break it, until the powers that be realize that people are opposed to it. The only reason it's taking so long to get rid of is that Korean nationals aren't the ones losing money, and thus put little effort into changing it.

Quote:
theres no way someone can make 7 million off privates

Yes there is. You obviously haven't been here long enough or taught any privates. It's nearly impossible to sustain that kinda income but during the summer months it's very possible to make that much. That takes about 30 hours a week of work to make. What you need is luck (scheduling) contacts (be friendly and know people) and be a good teacher with good qualifications. It also helps to be good looking (in Korean eyes). 50 an hour for 20 hours a week makes you around 4 million (always some kinda holiday in a month). Add 5-10 hours a week at 100 an hour (true privates, not corporate gigs) and you add anywhere from 2-4 million. It is possible, although not for just anyone and not all the time. You may not believe it and thats fine, but it is possible to pull in 60 million a year here.

HAND Smile
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pootie wrote:
Your social outlet is a bunch of anonymous people contected by a cord.

I have to admit, that was a pretty good flame.

Laughing
Homer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually morning Calm,

That flame by our buddy Pootie was more in the line of "well I'm rubber and your glue so whatever you throw at me sticks to you"..or "na na na na"
But is as entertaining nevertheless.
It also shows that he tends to judge people according to his limited views on things.
People on here do not use this as their only social outlet....but as a source of information too and debate.
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
Actually morning Calm,

That flame by our buddy Pootie was more in the line of "well I'm rubber and your glue so whatever you throw at me sticks to you"..or "na na na na"
But is as entertaining nevertheless.
It also shows that he tends to judge people according to his limited views on things.
People on here do not use this as their only social outlet....but as a source of information too and debate.

Laughing

You're alright Homer.

Wink
rush

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

say whatever you like about the guy... but pooties last post was golden..

and in many ways so true..... Laughing
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not true to me!!!

yes I come on here everyday but I have a social life POOTIE would die for.. It only takes me 5-10 minutes to check this site, I do my emails amd check my other board I go to.. total 15 minutes every morning while I eat breakfast..

if this thread is going to turn into flaming each other.. then I cant believe I AM SAYING THIS GOD HELP ME!! but it should be locked! or turned into the best insults thread...

pootie the problem is dude, we all know you dont know crap dude..
because you a F.New guy! and the F.NEW GUY cant know squat..
thats like you telling me you know all about sex and how to get a woman to orgasm just because you had sex once!!!
it takes time man..experience is the only education..
I have been here 7 years dude and I am almost 29 years old..
think about how many girls and privates I have done!!!
I am a fast talker, an Acting major and good looking.. I am very socialable and out going.. if korea is only about SEX and MONEY!!
then I have been there 1000 times and I will tell you you can have that life anywhere in the world.. it doesnt get you anywhere..
FUN yes, but at the end you only have memories of girls you shagged , cant even remember their names..and no MONEY in the bank!!
because their is no such thing is free SEX!!!
partying and picking up and doing privates the gigalo style.. costs you money!!!
unless you want to be a player! and use all the girls you pick up..
but you will need to speak good korean to enter that realm ROMEO!!
rapier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mankind: I agree its possible to make 7 M off privates, if you have built up the contacts over time, and you aren't already working at a hagwon. Some of us work split shifts. Its hard to reliably schedule 30 hours of hush hush privates, let alone all the travel time.
My primary motivation for getting into ESL was not, in the first instance, money. I wanted to travel and live in different countries, and I found ESL suited my creative nature. I even saved up and paid for a qualification in it. I love the English language and have a degree in it. I like to think this makes me a better teachers than some grad whose only desire is to pay off his loan, and crams in as many privates he possibly can.
I've done plenty privates. They can be a pain in the rectum. Which is why I usually turn them away- I appreciate my liesure time too much to spend it on the bus, or struggling to get someone to talk my lingo.
POOTIE: decipher this code, from the random words: NICk ETRe OLLiver MANdatory!
Mankind

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier
Ya if you're in a hogwan or even a lot of Uni jobs 7 mil is impossible. The only way to do it, is all out, or in combination with a lower hour (12) Uni job and great luck for scheduling. Of course you can make huge dough on summer vacation from a paid Uni job by soaking up like 30- 40 hours and working like a dog. You can get around 10 million (with your paid holiday). But most privates want a 3 to 4 month commitment, and when you break them all 2 months early, you'll have burned a lot of bridges.

For people you are thinking of going into privates
For the people who don't know but are thinking of going for some privates, here is some real info. To make the big money in privates (over 3-4 mill) you need to work everyday. Sats and Sundays too. Like about 3-4 hours a day. It's not tiring, but after a few months, you really enjoy (and sometimes need) a 3-4 days of nothing. If you are willing to teach kids a lot, than you can get away with 5 or 6 days a week, but your hours per day jump up some. Me I wouldn't go near kids for less than a 100 an hour (and not too many offer that. If you are single, well I don't think you can do it for a long time without burnout. It's nice when you work everyday to have most of your laundry done for you, hot meals waiting and the like. Wives (or husbands) make it a lot easier to make it.

The last thing I can say about doing privates is, that you better be a damn good teacher, if you plan on doing it long and getting good hourly pay. I can demand 50 minimum because I've been here forever, have worked for extended times at Uni, have a good education, am not bad looking (my wife says I'm adorable) and can interview my ass of. You need luck, skills, and education to make the big bucks doing it. And to be honest, I've only met a few people in Korea, who have done it for any length of time at a high lv of income and sanity.

HAND Smile
keguri

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pootie, what sort of degree do you hold that has enabled you to acquire a position paying 3.2? If it's just a BA, then your school must have you working extreme hours to get their money's worth out of you, in which case, surely you'll have little or no time for privates.

I have an MA in Linguistics from a major American university, and I was hard pressed in six months of searching to find positions available that paid as well as 3.2. I was recently selected as a final candidate for one (non-teaching) position paying 3.4. I took an online exam and did well, but I still but didn't get the position. I was also propositioned with a job opportunity with the Ministry of Education a while back, which I believe paid 3.0, but the hours were long, and an MA was definitely a requirement (I had already signed another contract at that time so I didn't pursue it). Jobs in this salary range are competed for heavily, so I am just curious how you were able to land yours. I hope you will be so kind as to share your strategies with us, because I clearly must be on the wrong track.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: