Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hagwon owners: Smart teachers don't use recruiters(opinion)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derrek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Hagwon owners: Smart teachers don't use recruiters(opinion) Reply with quote

I want to pass some information along to Hagwon owners....

Don't use recruiters to find people for you. The experienced (and arguably "better") teachers who do their research won't use a recruiter. The reputations of recruiters are VERY shady with the teaching populace, and good teachers know this. My guess is that Hagwon owners are often taken advantage of by recruiters, as many teachers are.

Why risk your business hopes on a strange recruiter who provides you with someone you haven't spoken to yourself? Post your own ads on Dave's ESL. As a teacher, I am gaining more respect for the institutes who bother doing it for themselves. In all possible cases, I like (and expect) to have a good deal of interaction with the owner of the school. If I have a good rapport with the owner, then I know the year will go much more smoothly.

When searching for jobs, I totally tune out the recruiter ads! I know of others who do this too.

Why trust someone else with your future? The sad fact is that A LOT of money can be made quickly and easily by recruiters, and they often don't care about much else than the quick dollar. They might match you with the wrong person for your business.

Yes, there are certainly some decent recruiters out there, BUT they are few and far between. Don't take chances. Your school will look much more appealing to the "better" teachers if you DON'T use a recruiter.
udenjoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this fully 100%. My fiance was a recruiter and had to quit/be fired because she couldn't lie. And she had to lie to both the employer and employee. They were getting mad at her for this! Has anyone ever met a recruiter that was 100% behind his or her word on everything? I have to say I do have a problem when I meet someone who is a recuiter, it's hard for me to even socialize with them. They're the scum at the bottom of this dirty industry.
atina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagwon owners: Smart teachers don't use recruiters(opin Reply with quote

Derrek wrote:
The experienced (and arguably "better") teachers who do their research won't use a recruiter.

Who ever said that Hagwon owners want experienced or better teachers? There may be some, but I think a lot of owners want someone pliable, and that they can easily shaft. Sadly, the majority of young kids just out of college fit this to a tee.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagwon owners: Smart teachers don't use recruiters(opin Reply with quote

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Who ever said that Hagwon owners want experienced or better teachers? There may be some, but I think a lot of owners want someone pliable, and that they can easily shaft. Sadly, the majority of young kids just out of college fit this to a tee.

And then these same fresh out of college kids pull a midnite run. Seems like a bit of a catch 22 to me. I'm with Derrek on this one. Personally I will answer ads from schools, but I'm more interested in networking or cold-calling.
hack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta go with Hank and kimcheeking on this one. A corollary to this post is that good schools don't use recruiters either. If you're in country and have a good network you can get it done yourself. Recruiters are only for newbies who don't want to do the heavy lifting on their own and/or don't have any $ to go to Korea to check it out.
To me, schools that use recruiters have something to hide. Why else would they pony up a month's salary to a recruiter? They use them because recruiters are good at putting lipstick on the pig. The school I was at constantly hired good teachers without a recruiter.
It would be interesting to know what % of runners went thru a recruiter vs no recruiter. I'm sure heavily weighted for teachers hired thru recruiters.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i found my first job on my own and my second through a recruiter. My 2nd job is much better. If it weren't for a recruiter, I wouldn't have found the job I have now. Nevertheless, I'd say skip a recruiter. Out of the countless jobs proposed to me, only 2 of them were decent. I am the first native speaker to work for my hogwon, and my boss didn't know how to find a foreign teacher so he went through a recruiter. If I were not in Korea and met my future boss and co-workers, I wouldn't have taken the job either.

Overall, most recruiters just like to feed you BS. I love how some still try to make wonderland a good place to work. Yeah OK, whatever you say...
OiGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hagwon owners: Smart teachers don't use recruiters(opin Reply with quote

Derrek wrote:
I want to pass some information along to Hagwon owners....

Don't use recruiters to find people for you. The experienced (and arguably "better") teachers who do their research won't use a recruiter.

Your school will look much more appealing to the "better" teachers if you DON'T use a recruiter.

Do all hogwon directors think experienced teachers are better? It seems teaching credentials don't count for much and many directors prefer inexperienced, obedient, manageable, and malleable teachers.
BTM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else wish Dave would separate out the recruiter ads from the 'real' ads here? 'course that might lose him some revenue, which would be a bad thing.

Right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: