Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
travellingwilly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Last edited by travellingwilly on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
jumgimbo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: re: ex-pats in Daegu Reply with quote

I've only been in Daegu three weeks but I've found a number of places where we expatriates congregate, keeping in mind there are many parts of the city that all have their special hangouts.

Downtown:

1. Mojos: fourth floor of a building down the street from the Gallery Zone store, very close to Robert DeNiro's bar and a short walk from Bennigan's. Owned by two Americans and a Korean woman. Nice bar atmosphere, good music to suit the mood of the crowd; they serve hot wings, french fries, and soon burgers. Drinks range from your standard cocktail to blended margaritas to Corona, Molson, MGD, Heineken, Bud. Usually opens at 8:00 p.m., seven days a week.

2. Ping Bar: around the corner from Mojos, this bar is in a basement location, with a dance floor, lots of loud music, many G.I.s on weekends. For dancing, not hanging out.

3. Bubble Beer Bar: a few blocks from Mojos, basement location, typical loud dance bar.

4. Old Blue: also close-by, 2nd floor, long-established, with small jazz bar in front and larger rock 'n' roll bar in back. Music videos, snacks, okay prices on drinks.

5. Gypsy Rock: for the loud crowd, or "how to go deaf in just 30 minutes." Popular with G.I.s, has young crowd, not cheap on drinks, but place to go if you like this sort of thing.

6. Kiss Me: another basement dance nightclub, around the corner from Mojos. DJ spins some good mixes; very loud, not bad on a weekend.

Siji:

7. The World of Beer (Beer World): across the steet from WalMart. Expats from this part of town appear to hang out here on Wednesdays and weekends.

Anybody else got some places to share? You can also check out one of these two links for more Daegu information:

http://thedaeguguide.com/

http://english.daegu.go.kr/Etc/gettingtodaegu.asp
mishlert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Daegu Hang Outs Reply with quote

I worked in Daegu last year and come here on weekends and during my 2 months summer/winter vacation (uni teacher).
Downtown is your best bet and the bars that jumgimbo mentioned are good, as are:

The Rock & Roll Bar: A good place to go and meet fellow expats. Not loud, and music is played by request. Good selection of beers and cocktails.

Soju & Hof above Rock & Roll: Mostly Koreans, but the staff is friendly. If you order a pitcher of beer you get free food: clams, mondu, etc.

Booze & Buzz: Good ice bar.

Donny's Bar: Excellent atmosphere. Expats are teachers. Good western beers. Standard mixed drinks. Food is BBQ.

Commune's: Live band on the weekends. Expats are teachers. Decent selection of beers. Standard mixed drinks.

The above bars are all on the same street as Bubble Bar; Donny's Bar is just up the street and Rock & Roll the opposite direction. Booze & Buzz is a 1 minute walk from Rock & Roll.

Note to all in Daegu: I'm here till August 24, so if anyone wants to hang out and have a beer they can e-mail me.
chronicpride

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojo's Rocks! Daegu nightclubbing is a lot different now, since they opened up. Just down the street from Gypsy Rock and around the corner from Kiss Me, if you want to go to the 'meetmarket clubs'. Best hot wings in Daegu and they have Clamato, so I can have Bloody Caesars all the time.

They said that they are opening up a rooftop bar above them in the next week or so and are going to start bringing big name DJ's to spin at the club. I've had a lot of 8 am stumbles home from that place.

PM me if you need directions, as I go there all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: