Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there anyone working in Incheon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanKorea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Is there anyone working in Incheon? Reply with quote

Hi, is there anyone out there who has worked in Incheon? I want to know what it's like there. Big, small? Better than Seoul? Is it hard to get to Seoul from there? Which district is it closest to? Questions, questions!

There is a place offering me a job and I'm wondering if I should take it. It's in the neighbourhood of 2mil won. The only thing I fear is no air conditioning in the summer. *shudder* but I guess I can deal. Confused What a baby I am.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incheon is the New Jersey of Korea. It's about 2 million people, and it's definitely in the Seoul orbit, but you can end up pretty far from downtown Seoul. It has its own subway, nightlife districts, a few expat bars, shopping, and other amenities, but it doesn't quite compare to Seoul in any way I can think of.

I'm lucky enough to live near the subway and an express bus depot, so downtown Seoul is only 45 minutes by bus, and 1-1 1/2 hours by subway. However Incheon is a pretty spread out place, so you could end up somewhere that's much less convenient. Ask the teachers at your school how convenient the location is to public transportation.

The pollution in Incheon is pretty bad, I'd say worse than Seoul.

The one advantage to Incheon over Seoul that I can think of is the islands in the Yellow sea. There are several islands you can get to by ferry for 15000-30000 won from Incheon with beaches and hiking trails.

Having said all that, you can do a lot worse than Incheon too. In the end, I'd say the details of your workplace are a more important consideration.

If you can tell me the dong and gu that your school is located in, I may be able to tell you more about the location you're looking at. PM me if you need any more help.

For more info, you may also want to check out these recent threads:

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=4856&highlight=incheon

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=4975&highlight=incheon
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also it's close to the airport if you want to go on holiday/do a midnight run.

Likewise although reasonably new in the area give me a PM.

CLG
rapier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People working in Inchon? Theres an airport there so I guess there must be some people who do.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
People working in Inchon? Theres an airport there so I guess there must be some people who do.

The airport's not really in Inchon and isn't it much easier to get there than from parts of SW Seoul- anyone considering living in Inchon (as opposed to Seoul or Bucheon) for the convenience of being near the airport should probably think again.

Inchon, the New Jersey of Korea? That's a good one! But what would that make Bucheon then?
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:

Inchon, the New Jersey of Korea? That's a good one! But what would that make Bucheon then?

Same same!

Do you honestly believe that Bucheon deserves its own metaphor? Laughing
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The airport's not really in Inchon and isn't it much easier to get there than from parts of SW Seoul- anyone considering living in Inchon (as opposed to Seoul or Bucheon) for the convenience
of being near the airport should probably think again.

I made the quip about the airport because well there's not much else about incheon that sells itself.

CLG
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazylemongirl wrote:

I made the quip about the airport because well there's not much else about incheon that sells itself.

Ain't that the truth. If I remember correctly you're in NW Incheon? The really industrial part north of tong inchon and west of Pupyong?
Have you checked out Walmido and Songdo yet? What about Chuan? Kanghwado?
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done that much exploring here. But I'm on the end of the incheon subway that will connect ICN with gimpo. So although it's pretty suburban in my immediate area the industrial aprts aren't too far away.

CLG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: