Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the scoop on YBM/ECC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CanKorea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: What's the scoop on YBM/ECC? Reply with quote

Hello again! I'm still researching jobs. Can anyone tell me what they've heard about YBM/ECC? It's another school that I'm looking into. They seem to have some interest in me and I'd like to know more about them. The only drawback is the shared housing.

Thanks! Have a good one.
funplanet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! First of all, YBM is a HUGE company...they are the largest publishing company in Korea, one of, if not the, largest English institutes in the country...they are also into music publishing and recording and a host of other things...oh, they also have the complete Cinnabons franchise in Korea...

Now for YBM/ECC....it seems that a lot of people have trouble with the ECC franchise schools...I think YBM (and other Korean franchise companies) don't have much oversight over the franchisees...which is too bad because there seems to be alot of franchisees giving YBM/ECC a bad reputation...

You may be better off going to a YBM owned ECC...I am at one and have been here for nearly two years. I will probably sign on for a third year. I consider myself lucky though...My director and manager are wonderful to work with...they will do anything possible to help you...the best thing is that they are honest and will back you up as much as possible...you won't find that from a lot of other managers...I love working with them and the Korean teachers we have here...honestly, THEY are the reason I am still here and may sign on again..

I don't work Saturdays but you would not get that at first...as for housing, I hope to get single housing soonl...ECC will give you up to 10million for key money and about 350k monthly to pay rent but I hope to get single without all of that....my manager is really good at working the system...

As for pay, you won't get 3.0 or 4.0 million but you will be with a stable company...I have known too many people pulling in 3 or 4 and then the school goes under in 6 months or so...or they are asked to leave...or they don't get the severence bonus...blah blah blah

If you want any more details about my school, email me...BUT! do your research carefully and weigh all possibilities...there are plenty of good schools and there are plenty of BAD schools...I don't want to toot my horn not that of my school so please weigh all possibilities...if you have any questions email me....and good luck! you'll have fun here if you aren't here already....Korea is a blast!
eamo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all funplanet says.

ECC schools are hit or miss.

I worked at one that was also very honest and generous about things like staff dinners and bus trips around Korea. Hell, we even got a free 4 day holiday in Jeju-do!!!!

However, many ECCs are still doing saturdays, only provide shared housing, and the pay only works out if you work hard and do over-time.

Strong curriculum though. Makes teaching easy.
funplanet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks eamo!! I forgot to mention the curriculum....one of the best I've seen...and speaking of curriculae...YBM just bought the rights to CNN's educational course...I've been teaching it for awhile and it's pretty good...I'm enjoying it so far...

So, yeah...eamo is right about the curriculum...
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funplanet is a either a YBM recruiter or a ESL noob.

I do agree with Eamo about ECC being a hit and miss.

However, STAY AWAY FROM THE ELS SCHOOLS unless you like to work split shifts and make less than the average Korean worker. It really gets you down when you sit at a bar with a bunch of other expats and you guys start talking about your work. Everyone is making more than you and working less. People learn to stop talking about it in front of you because they dont' want to be rude, but some drunk bastard will say something, and you'll be sitting there alittle disgruntled at the fact that he may be right.

Has anyone ever noticed how all YBM employee's must tell you how big their company is and seem to have to explain their working hours to you.....even if you didn't ask?

Laughing
kiwioutofthenest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: ybm/ecc gwangyang Reply with quote

stay away from ECC gwangyang. The director is a cheap ass and his wife is a holy terror (she's the head teacher). He'll screw you with your severance pay like he has all of us. You work saturdays 'til 7:30pm. And he taxes you unfairly.
funplanet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am neither a recruiter nor a noob...so go screw yourself...perhaps you are jealous that I may actually have it pretty good at a YBM/ECC...if you pay attention to the advice I gave cankorea you could figure that out...but I guess you can't...I told her to do her homework and not to jump in the boat without getting all the info she can...I could care less about recruiting someone...they want advice, I can only tell someone about my experience...and I ALWAYs tell someone to do their homework and not make decisions based on just what I may say...I think cankorea is a smart person and make a rational decision on her/his own...my experience is only a drop in the bucket but it's my bucket and I have had it da*# good here

I don't have to tell everyone about how big YBM is (I could really care less) and about my working hours...I don't talk to anyone about it but cankorea asked...there are good ECC's and bad ECC's...just as there are good university jobs and bad...

I happen to be a d(#* good teacher and I take pride in my work...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: