Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gangwondo Province

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Gangwondo Province Reply with quote

As is the case for most of you my summer vacation is approaching. I have been thinking about where to go. I have been in Korea for about 2 years now but I have not explored Gangwondo province as yet. Can anyone let me know if it is worth a visit, and if so where are the best places to go? I would ideally like to go where it won't be too crowded as Koreans (and English) people tend to converge on one place which hinders my aim of having a relaxing time away from it all.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *love* Gangwando - Kangnung is the best city. I'd love to live there actually. I don't think I'd want to go near Soraksan this time of year- you're so right about converging on one place, and that's the place - but Kangnung and the beaches south of it are spectacular.

I haven't been there in five years, but I really want to go back.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gangwondo Province Reply with quote

Gwangjuboy wrote:
I have not explored Gangwondo province as yet. Can anyone let me know if it is worth a visit, and if so where are the best places to go? I would ideally like to go where it won't be too crowded as Koreans (and English) people tend to converge on one place which hinders my aim of having a relaxing time away from it all.

Worth going? Depends what you like. If you like mountains and beaches it's okay. If you don't like hicks, don't go. Soraksan is packed in the summer as are the nearby Sokcho beaches.
Kangnung has the most popular beach in Kangwondo, but it isn't all that good (large pebbles, big family groups).
Tonghae (used to live there but never will again) has the best kept secret in Korea with Mangsang beach. The beach is really long and pretty wide, but the people all congregrate in the same little area. If you want more space, move down the beach. If you want to do some people watching, move back up the beach. There's a national park not too far out of town where you can do a little hiking.
Also from Tonghae you can catch a ferry to Ullung-do. I'm anti-nature and small towns, but Ullung-do is by far the best place in Korea to relax. A few places to go swimming (not nice beaches, but refreshing) and every night everybody congregrates at the harbor to eat squid and drink soju and sing old songs.
gomurr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Kangnung for 3 years and there is not much of real interest there. I mean if you like the beach be prepared for hordes of people, leaving their trash half buried in the sand and life guards who love to show how manly they are by blowing their whistles when you go too far out (50 m from shore). The mountains are okay but no different then anywhere else. if your a serious hiker then odaesan and Soraksan are good. For the 1st 1/3rd of the way it's packed with people but the higher up you go the less people you see and most of those are older fanatical hikers. At the top of Soraksan is packed because of the cable car up. But Sogumgang in Odaesan is a good hike and no cable car at the top. Kangnung city itself has nothing but Ojukan but that only takes 40 minutes to tour and the same with the audio musuem. Tonghae is boring but does have Murong valley (again lots of people). Cheongdongjin station is a waste of time (tourist trap). The best unexploited beaches are around smaller villages such as Samchok. Basically it's the same sh*t different pile that you find almost anywhere else in Korea.

My advise go to Kyung-ju and rent a bike. i've been there 4 times and still haven't seen everything.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuncheon is a nice city as well. Its the city of lakes, or so it calls itself. Its surrounded by mountains, some of which you can hike up. The area north of Chuncheon is about as empty as Korea gets. If you were to go there to Sokcho, I think you wouldn't have to worry about crowds too much.
Dr. Buck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This summer:
Soraksan National Park and the Sockcho/Tonghae seaside will be brimming with obnoxious tourists. You will be tripping over them and kicking them out from under your feet as they squat on every available patch of land and stuff their mouth with ramyun cooked on a camp stove. Most likely litter wil be stuck to you shoes--just ignore it.

It is all of the horrors of living in Korea multiplied by ten, and yet you are there to have fun so you try to put a positive spin on it in your own head.

It doesn't work. The crowds are heinous and unrelenting.

The entire country ups and moves to the nearest beach or mountainside scenic area.

This goes for every part of the country.

Buy a plane ticket out while you can. Summer in Korea sucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: