Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Van Tutor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tesl girl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Van Tutor? Reply with quote

Has anybody heard of the company Van Tutor?

I am just finishing my TESL certificate and am looking into jobs. I have heard some real horror stories regarding jobs overseas. If anyone has any input on Van Tutor, or could offer me any advice regarding job searching in Korea it would be much appreciated. Smile

Thanks,
TESL girl
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Advice Reply with quote

First advice:Be careful.Do not believe everything a potential employer may tell you.They often lie.
Those horror stories about TESOL you have heard have a very real basis in fact.
It is best to avoid teaching at the hakwons(private schools) completely,because most of them will rip you off.if you do decide to teach at one,at least insist on talking to some former teachers of the school(by email or whatever) to get some idea of the real situation,not the lies that the school will probably tell you.
If you do come,bring enough money(or a credit card) to leave if you have to leave suddenly.Have an option in case the job does not work out.Cover yourself.
Those are a few basic things.I am sure others will post and give you some more advice.Good luck. Smile Be careful!
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Van Tutor Reply with quote

Sorry,I forgot about that question.I have never heard of them,but they sound....shady.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Van Tutor Reply with quote

Mody Ba wrote:
Sorry,I forgot about that question.I have never heard of them,but they sound....shady.

Based on what?
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: The Name Reply with quote

My impression is based on the name.Before you even say it,that is only an impression,and I could very well be mistaken.Also,the fact that I have never heard of them does not necessarily mean anything.There are scads of hakwons.If the original poster wants to really check them out,the original poster should also ask for names of former teachers,emails,etc to contact. So, have YOU heard of them?
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Name Reply with quote

Mody Ba wrote:
My impression is based on the name.Before you even say it,that is only an impression,and I could very well be mistaken.Also,the fact that I have never heard of them does not necessarily mean anything.There are scads of hakwons.If the original poster wants to really check them out,the original poster should also ask for names of former teachers,emails,etc to contact. So, have YOU heard of them?

No, I haven't. I admit that I know absolutely nothing about them to say that they are or are not a good school.

I thought that your conclusion was a little strong for a school you had never heard of, that's all.
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Yes,You Might Be Right Reply with quote

In retrospect,perhaps it was a little strong. And if I am wrong,I will be happy to admit it.But I do not see anyone rushing to defend them.Not yet,anyway.Have a good afternoon.Mody
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: